7 replies to this topic

#1 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Yes, there is one scene not very talked about on these boards, is when Bond comes out of the copter and discover Solange dead.

I just love the look on Craig's face, and later, when M says "You don't have an emotional problem, don't you ?" Bond answers "no, I don't", while it's pretty obvious from the look on his face, that he is a shaken by Solange death, which happened because of him. That's grade A acting not seen since Sean was the killing and kissing god. (of course, in totally different way).

#2 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

The best part about the Connery era (or one of the best parts, at least) were those kinds of subtle expressions that you mentioned. A couple great examples come to mind:
Connery's quick blinking and amused smirk when he goes back to ask Professor Dent one more question before leaving his office, which seems to say "I already know you're guilty of something, but I'm just going to ask you this one last question 'cause I'll enjoy watching you lie and squirm, you pathetic wretch." Or his look of disgust when Grant horribly pairs a red chianti with his fish dinner on the train.

That was just a lengthy way of agreeing with you. The real point of my response here is that it took multiple viewings for me to notice these subtleties. Craig being the quality actor he is, I

#3 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:38 AM

"I'd ask you to remain emotionally detached, but that's not your problem, is it Bond?"

(sounding half bored, while also comfortable, confident, and instantaneous with his answer) "No."

Yes, it was moments like that that sold me on Craig's range. He nailed that early Connery sense of humor, which was one of casual self-amusement. The other Bonds seemed to be delivering the lines to the audience rather than to themselves, which seldom worked in comparison.

Another great subtle moment is when Bond signs into the Hotel Splendide using his real name, and after Vesper storms off, the receptionist says, "hope you enjoy your stay" (or something to that effect), to which Bond replies "I will, thank you" with that, once again, part sarcastic, part sincere grin of boyish smugness.

There's also the "Ow" line, the banter on the train, and even the Dalton-esque "do I look like I give a damn?", among many others. All got laughs from most of my audiences (yes, I've seen it four times already).

Heck, Craig even has a Moore-ish moment when he's at the Ocean Club. Watch him when he's talking to the receptionist there and says "but if I felt...compelled to?" Hey, didn't they say Brosnan was the one who mixed together the best of all Bonds? :)

#4 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Yeah I liked the part right before that scene (I think?) where M is talking to Bond:

M:'She didn't ask anything personal about you?' (Or something like that)

BOND: (Looking away) 'No.'

M: 'Not you're name? What you were after?'

BOND: (Still looking away) 'No."

You could just tell that Bond really was sad about Solange's death... it was cool.

#5 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

Another great subtle moment is when Bond signs into the Hotel Splendide using his real name, and after Vesper storms off, the receptionist says, "hope you enjoy your stay" (or something to that effect), to which Bond replies "I will, thank you" with that, once again, part sarcastic, part sincere grin of boyish smugness.

Oh that so good! Almost forgettably because it was so subtle but I loved it!

#6 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:17 PM

Heck, Craig even has a Moore-ish moment when he's at the Ocean Club. Watch him when he's talking to the receptionist there and says "but if I felt...compelled to?" Hey, didn't they say Brosnan was the one who mixed together the best of all Bonds? :)

Speaking of, I also thought his delivery of "Wouldn't dream of it" (when returning to the game after being defibbed) was very Brosnan.

#7 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

Craig's nailed the deadpan wit the best since Sean, SC was the master of it, up to TB, Sean was the best, after that it all went wrong, his delivery in YOLT & DAF seemed like a different person, he was just slummming it and didn't really want to be there.

I think many thought that the humour might be a problem for Craig and were expecting a Dalton situation again.

The fact he's mastered it so well first time round, no moments of being out of his depth at all.

I really can't wait to see the his more Bondlike version of the character, now the Vesper situation has started to change his outlook, the not trusting anyone, i still believe the humour is a self defense mechanism to detach the seriousness of the moment but I believe Daniel can only get better at this.

I also think once he starts to get sick of the role and board he will leave, i don't think we will get YOLT & DAF situations with Craig.

I think his performance will always have that dark element and that element that he could explode at any minute but his Bond will be more refined and careful, I saw many times in CR that he was playing Bond as intelligent with razor sharp sences, it's just he needed to curb his anger more.

Bond 22 will show him mature in the character and we will see those traits we associate with Bond more prominent, i don't think he'll turn into a quip machine but as long as the scripts provide more jewels like in CR, we are most likely yet to see the best that DC has to offer.

He said we can make the next one better and I certainly wouldn't bet against that quote, roll on Nov 2008.

#8 Stylo

Stylo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

He nailed that early Connery sense of humor, which was one of casual self-amusement. The other Bonds seemed to be delivering the lines to the audience rather than to themselves, which seldom worked in comparison.

And which was always the fastest way to take me out of their movies, grrrr.

That's a great way to put it, it's a wonderful scene.

Craig's such a terrific actor, it's a bit thrilling to watch him do something so very different from his other stuff and make it work so well, too.