11 replies to this topic

#1 capungo

capungo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:28 AM

Hey, just another possible first I just noticed w/ CR. Is this the first Bond movie that hasn't left Bond w/ his leading lady? The only exception that pops to mind is OHMSS, but even that ended with Tracy in his arms :P Just an interesting choice to buck the trend and end it w/ a moment of Bond badassery. Not that I mind at all :)

#2 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

I can recall people mentioning this possibility. I remember many CBners saying that Bond would not be allowed to finish out the movie alone, that he would end up with some secondary eye candy, etc. I'm glad they didn't go that route. It was a much more interesting ending than, say, DAD's ending.

Is this the first cliffhanger ending for a Bond film? I realize it wasn't a "how will Bond get out of this?" cliffhanger, but it was very open-ended and obviously sets the stage for Bond 22. I don't think that's ever been done before in a Bond film.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:08 AM

It definitely left me wanting to see what happens in Bond 22.

#4 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

Certainly not the typical 'happy ending' was it, eh?

Good catch capungo

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:14 AM

Even more interestingly, this is probably the first Bond film where all three Bond girls are killed off.

#6 Tuxedo wearing Bond

Tuxedo wearing Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, good point JimmyBond.

I think CR's ending is definitely the best Bond ending of them all. It wasn't happy, and it was also open ended. It's that or OHMSS's ending, but I think CR comes out on top because of the sheer coolness of it.

#7 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Even more interestingly, this is probably the first Bond film where all three Bond girls are killed off.

Yes, very true, Jimbo :)

It is a great ending, too. The best ever.

#8 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Some interesting points raised!

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

So Valenka died as well?

I like the fact that Bond ends up alone.

It's really amusing noticing the audience reaction when he starts telling Vesper he loves here... there's always someone who goes 'Oh dear. She's dead'!

#10 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:38 PM

I consider it to be one of, if not, the best ending of all Bond films. My favorite thing about that scene is surprisingly the audience reactions. I heard several male veiwers say "oh [censored]" when they saw Bond with the gun and during my 3rd veiwing, a woman practically yelled "Jesus!" with an excited, this is awesome tone. On a side note, I loved hearing gasps when they would see Vesper on the road as well as the car flipping. And of course, there were great reactions during the torture sequence.

#11 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

Yeah the ending wasn't really a cliffhanger but it left me wanting more. Best ending of all time though.

And I loved to hear the audience's reactions. I remember when Bond first walked out of the beach with his blue speedo/swimsuit thing on all the woman gasped in embarrassment, and when Bond stepped up to White at the end with his UMP 45 everybody was like 'Daaannnnggg' and then once the movie ended guys were laughing and giving each other high fives and the women acted surprised that they actually liked it.

... Maybe I was paying too much attention to the audience...

#12 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

when he starts telling Vesper he loves here... there's always someone who goes 'Oh dear. She's dead'!

That someone would be my uncle Bruce. :)