This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Never thought I would actually LOVE a bond movie!

4 replies to this topic

#1 pleiades1165

pleiades1165

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

New fan alert!

Okay let me just say that I've only seen the Brosnan movies and I wasn't impressed with the girls, the gadgets and all that. After a while, it was just too campy for me. But after hearing there was a new Bond and after seeing the trailer for CR, I knew I had to get my butt into the theater. Why?

1. The action scenes - The invisible car can stay in the garage. There is something breathtaking and terrifying about fighting with your wits and your fists (especially from 200 feet up in the air!).

2. Villains that (sorta) actually make sense! - no more of this "taking over the world!!!" stuff. Le Chiffre and his ilk actually made some sense. One review I've read stated that the villains are suited for these post-9/11 times.

3. The music - I'm not a Bond soundtrack movie expert so my unqualified love for the CR soundtrack should be taken lightly. I bought the soundtrack after I watched the movie and listening to it reminds me of the key parts of the film. I thought the Vesper related tracks were especially haunting with the lone piano. Even the Vesper/Bond theme "City of Lovers" which sounds happy overall has a piano part that sounds sad and hints at the not-so-happy ending that is to follow shortly after. "African Rundown" is still stuck in my mind as well as "Dinner Jackets." The slightly scary sounding music when Bond discovers the dinner jacket Vesper left on his bed cracked me up when I was watching the film (his look of horror is hilarious).

4. The locales - simply beautiful as usual.

5. The humor - Since I've seen the Brosnan Bond films, I know the kind of innuendo laced humor that Bond films are (in)famous for. CR had some of the same (the little finger line, anyone?) but I found it wittier (the Vesper/Bond initial meeting comes to mind) and Bond's quips during the torture scene had me (and the rest of the audience) laughing, as well as wincing.

6. Great actors - Everyone was perfectly cast in this film but a few performances stood out from the rest. Dame Judi Dench was perfect as M. I loved seeing her deal with Bond and her reactions to his totally sneaky behavior. Daniel Craig and Eva Green were absolutely brilliant. They brought the characters of Bond and Vesper to life and even now, there is a sense of sadness when I think about the tragic end of their relationship. There is a lasting emotional impact from this film and the credit goes to Craig and Green.

I am definitely looking forward to Bond 22!

#2 Four-of-a-Kind

Four-of-a-Kind

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

nice review. i personally loved this movie as well. ive senn it 4 times since it came out i plan on seeing it alot more. definately the best bond yet.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Welcome to James Bond 007 fandom pleiades1165! :)

I would definately recommend checking out the other Jwmes Bond movies out there.

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to CBn. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get your butt to the video store and check out Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger. Once you watch those, it is onto the next three.

#5 planearm

planearm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:09 PM

I've only got two words to say about this movie...

Caterina Murino

:)

Posted Image