4 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 01:02 AM

Just saw this up for auction. Amazing what ends up on Ebay isn't it!

Posted Image

Description

This is the actual screen-used, filmed plate that was on the Lotus Esprit "gadget car" (which featured the retracting wheels and extending rudders) during the production of "The Spy Who Loved Me". I recently obtained this plate from the buyer who won it from the Christie's James Bond auction several years ago. At that time, it sold for approximately $1600. My expectations are much lower than that.

The plate is in exactly the same condition as it was on the day it was removed from the car. There are two cracks emanating from the right screw-hole. (caused by someone apparently over-tightening the screws when it was attached to the car). The plastic part of the plate is held together by a metal plate which is bonded to the back--so it is still in one piece. Otherwise, the plate is completely intact with no major scratches or other defects.

Background

This piece will also come with all of the documentation from Christies, the transfer receipt, and a copy of the original Christie's Auction catalog page. Additionally, this prop has been authenticated by Mr. Doug Redenius of the Ian Fleming Foundation (who was also the original owner that had obtained it directly from EON Productions). Mr. Redenius has offered to verify the authenticity via e-mail for anyone upon request.

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 01:02 PM

Very nice. Could be a nice little collector's piece for someone if they're prepared to cough up the cash for it. A little out of my league methinks.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 November 2001 - 12:53 AM

On another note, looking at that number plate, I wish they had made it 'PPK' instead of 'PPW'. A number plate of 'PPK 765M' would have been a superb little touch for the Lotus, don't you think ?

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 November 2001 - 01:22 AM

Very good notion Freemo. PPK would have been a nice little bit of trivia!

#5 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 November 2001 - 05:39 PM

Just slightly off topic, but I love it in the film when you see the car indicating underwater. It always cracks me up. Pure Bond!