81 replies to this topic

#31 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:52 AM

I think I found CBN among the hundreds of links on Kimberly Last's web-site.

#32 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 11:32 AM

Yeah that is a really brief summary of the CBn history.

From my point of view. I'd had a website since about the age of 15. They were all different themes. I had one dedicated to computer software. Then I had a movie one. Then I decided one day in July 99 to make one called Blue Haze Movies. I covered three movies: Bond 20, Tomb Raider and The Tailor Of Panama. It was straight HTML (no funky stuff like here!) took up a lot of time but was really fun.

Then one day I had a thought, there is no web page for fan films dedicated to James Bond. So I made it. It was called Bond Fan Films and was a part of Blue Haze Movies.

Anyway, Renard (who helped me a lot with BFF) tells me that he's been chatting to some fellow who wants to link our stuff. This fellow is a guy in the UK named Dave Winter. So "Yeah you can link it Dave". I check out CBn (and no offence Dave) but it was your run of the mill Bond website.

But something caught my eye. There were these CGI scripts and people with great IT knowledge. Was this my opportunity?

Yes it was. I had had the idea of a site like CBn for months on end and I finally had found some way of making it possibly come true.

So I kept up e-mail contact with Dave and one day plugged my idea to him. Needless to say he loved it.

So we went to work in November 2000 and in January 2001 we launched the site. Then in February we launched the forums you all chat it now.

Everything was slow at first, still is in a way (You would not believe the amount of big Bond fans who still e-mail me saying "Just saw your site for the first time". When I say big Bond fans, I mean those whose names you probably know from the Bond community).

But it's CBn.

I have a mathematical theory

If CBn = James Bond
Other Bond Sites = Austin Powers :)

Anyhoo, there's my CBn story!

#33 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 20 September 2002 - 05:21 PM

I'd be interested to know how the people who have joined the forums since this topic was last posted to found CBN.

#34 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 06:22 PM

I couldn't take the offical site any more. And I switched to www.klast.net and discovered CBN and AJB on the link page.

#35 Paco

Paco

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:01 PM

Well, I heard about this website from the old bond20 forums so i took a look on this website and found it pretty cool. I enjoy browsing over here and ajb (whenever it gets going). The people are great and it's fun chatting about our favorite topics.

#36 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 09:50 PM

Well, originally, I jused to browse on Bond20.com, but never did the forums thing. I started to look for other sites and found "Blue Haze Movies" and that turned into the CBN we know and love today.

#37 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:05 AM

I too found this site when it was Blue Haze Movies. I remember it had a message board, but not like this one now, I used to post as Jimmy (I think) and after a while, I stopped coming around. Then I searched for Bond one day on Yahoo, clicked on the Blue Haze Movies link, and viola! The old Bond site and the dull message board turned into this great big site with a great board, the rest is history. :)

#38 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 01:32 AM

I'm pretty sure that when CBn first got going, one of the Lords of the Site gave it a plug on an Ain't It Cool News forum about Bond (I used to be a very active contributor there). I looked at it, but at the time it was so new that there wasn't much here and my old computer had a hard time accessing the site. So I forgot about CBn for ages. I became a regular at the old Bond20.com, and CBn came up a lot, so I'd occasionally pop over for a look but I never posted--both out of a sense of "loyalty" to Bond20 and because I wasn't sure I'd fit in here. Then, when Bond20 bit the dust, I registered both here and at AJB. AJB is where I've posted the most, but I consider myself a member in good standing of both sites.

#39 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 02:22 AM

Not much of a tale really, I saw it mentioned on another Bond message board that has since closed. I came for a look expecting some rushed, half baked operation but found a very nice site indeed. Registered on May 25th 2001 according to my profile, been hanging around making a pest of myself ever since. :)

#40 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 02:42 AM

I found commanderbond.net when my friend gave me the idea that I should look for a James Bond forums. I searched and found the couple and this was the best one and still is.

#41 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:59 PM

.....13 months later....

my first experience following a bond production was during the bilbao bank office shoots for TWINE on mr kiss kiss bang bang. their reports were intermitent

i did a search in yahoo of bond sites again during the pre-production buzz for bond 20 in november of '01.

i found this site. it is a great place to be. my congratulations to daniel, dave and all the other.

well done!

keep it up:)

#42 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:03 PM

I'd been pouncing around CBn (not signed up) since about 1997... then just this year in Aug I met some great people (Bryce003, Xenobia, & Zencat) at SpyFest (BCW6) and Bryce actually mentioned to me about them being staff members of CBn (he thought I was a spy from MI6). Anywho... after Spyfest I decided, hey, why not just sign up, I've been lurking about for years anyways. And now here I post :)

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:06 PM

A spy from Mi6, huh? You know, that would explain A LOT!

:)

(I'll have to thank James Page :))

#44 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:19 PM

I had a lot of free time in college and since I tend to check out a few Bond sites and this one happened to sound interesting. I glanced at it a few times when it was first up, then ended up back here after I graduated college last summer. I poked around, just reading from time to time until I got the idea to start posting on a bad movie site I had just found. Since that went so well, I was inspired to check myself into this lovely asylum. Being crazy about Bond has never been so much fun.

#45 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:23 PM

For the record Athena...just to keep things open, I thought you were with the two weirdly dressed guys, sent to be spies. :-D

-- Xenobia

#46 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:08 PM

I remember years ago I used to frequently post at UniversalExports.net, and as things slowed down a bit there, someone had suggested (I forget who it was - it very well might have been Dr. Tynan) this site. It had been some time since I actually got around to checking it out, and even more time before I finally registered.

And the rest, as you might say, is history...

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:10 AM

I have been visiting the Kimberly Last website since it began in the mid 1990s (the world's first 007 site) and I saw a link for CommenderBond.net on there....ckicked on it and the rwst is history.

#48 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

google...I used to visit the official site...than some other ones...I liked this one the best.My first site that I became a member was aint-it-cool-news and my name there is also Tarl_Cabot but the Bond stories were few and far between. The real Bond fans were also scarce. Everyone there is into Star Wars or LOTR...etc. Anyway, I got tired of the low-tech long wait site so I became a member here. Glad there is more here than just Bond to discuss. I still post there occasionally. You can use *adult* language there. The talk backs are funny but uncivilized...:)

#49 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:11 AM

i happend upon cbn by chance you might say by way of google, and it gave me two bond sites, whatever i was looking for cbn was one of the results, and i have been here almost a year

#50 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:20 AM

CBn where the first to take away my Bond virginity. I thank you for the best sex I've ever had. LOL.

Seriously though I did a 'Yahoo' search and clicked on a couple like 'MI6' etc but it wasn't until I noticed CBn I got hooked.

Bondian

#51 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:22 AM

Search Engine. I came visited CBn for awhile just for the news and then I finally joined on March 3, 2003.

#52 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:29 AM

Hey, I'm very pleased that I was one of the original CBNers.

Bondian raises a pint of Real Ale to all his friends at CBn!.

Cheers!.

Bondian

#53 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:48 PM

Starting in about '97, on the wild, wild, web I had been checking out various sites (Kim Last's, MKKBB, JBIFC and had nosed about Blue Haze) and was enjoying some really great 007 info etc.

In 2001, while attending BCW 4 in Chicago, Zencat (whom I met at BCW 2 in '99) and I were having dinner at the Saloon Steakhouse (which we ended up closing that night) and during our "shop talk" He asked me where I went on the web for 007. I told him and Zencat quickly asked "Have you checked out commanderbond?" I hadn't, but soon did.

I registered in April 2002 and was offered a position on staff a year later.

It's been a great place to be...and continues to.

oh yeah....

Thanks Zencat;)

#54 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:41 AM

I was thinking of starting a society for the prevention of cruelty to LTK and I'll be damned if one didn't already exists! Thanks Google. :)

#55 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:19 PM

I was looking for info for Flemings books and it brought me here via of Yahoo!.Good thing I found a place to chat with bond fans like myself

#56 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:25 AM

You know, I really don't know how I found CBn...suppose it was just some random James Bond search. It was and still is the best Bond site there is.

#57 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:34 AM

I started off at the official site, then moved to Kim Lasts site, went to Universal Exports, where someone mentioned about CBN, I'm pretty sure it was Dr. Tynan. I hung around before I joined, and thats that.

#58 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:30 PM

The Bond music site, Bond Smells a Rat, and Kimberly Lasts website. Both are also quite excellent.

#59 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:05 AM

Bumping this one to the top, maybe some newer members want to add in.

#60 MI-6 Director

MI-6 Director

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

I found this site in the summer of 2003 when I was searching the internet for pages about The Complete James Bond Lifestyle Seminar and some of the search results listed CBn's very own lifestyle articles which I checked out. I then browsed around the site and got caught up in all the front page articles and kept coming back just for those. I ended becoming a forum member on 27 November 2003, as you can see on the sidebar, in order to be eligible to win the 007 digital lighter camera. However, my first post wasn't until January 11th, 2004. That was when I was getting curious towards what was going on in the forums.