81 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:04 AM

It's something I've always wondered. How did our forum members first find CommanderBond.Net? Did you use forums elsewhere beforehand? What's the story :)

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 April 2002 - 01:51 AM

I first became a member of the Absolutely James Bond forums, but as they were a little slow moving, I did a search on IXquick and found CBN (third in the list after MKKBB and The Bond Film Informant, I think).

I used to be active on both sites, but 9/11 really slowed down the AJB forums (understandably, of course), but I noticed that CBN didn't miss a beat.

So I concentrated more on CBN from then on, and a short time later I stopped going to AJB altogether.

Sorry about that SiCo.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 09:19 AM

Here's my history with CBN...

I'd had the Internet now for about 6 months...and got bored. My mate Greg had a star trek web site which gave me the inspiration for me to create my own one - that being CommanderBond.net. It took me ages to decide a name, but in the end, CBN was the winner.

Greg made the first ever CBN design, with a logo created by Michael Deeg [ [http://www.xanatos.de ]. CBN then had one more design after that - my first ever major attempt at a web site.

About a month later, I think I emailed a Mr Dan Dykes asking if I could post some links to the fan films at his and Renards site - BondFanFilms. Me and Dan got talking...we relaunched CBN with a new design, starting totally from scratch with the site. That is the CBN you all know today :)

There you go - sorry if bits are missing out, history was never my strongest subject at School :)

#4 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 10:41 PM

Tim007 (08 Apr, 2002 03:21 p.m.):
I visited good old BlueHazeMovies every week once or twice and one day there was a link that they've moved to CBN...

And that's it :)

Oh, that's the other half of my story. When I did my search it came up as BlueHazeMovies, so I went to that then I started going to commanderbond.net on a daily basis later on. Then the forums started calling my name...

#5 007_JamesBond

007_JamesBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 09:51 PM

Well here is my story, I was looking for Bond forums, typed it in on google and well here I am

#6 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:17 AM

I was doing a Yahoo search for interesting Bond sites...and I found this place!

And I am so glad I did!

-- Xenobia

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:16 AM

That's exactly what I mean! I think they're fascinating stories.

In May 2001 we had 129,481 Hits. By December 2001 that number rose to 565,384. Last month, March 2002, it was at 1,358,133.

That's an amazing rise! And bar linked articles from sites such as Dark Horizons or FilmForce.IGN I really have little idea where people are coming from / came from!

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:13 AM

I used the official site for info gathering originally but that was too boring.
I found a link to CBN on another Bond site and so I decided to see what it was like. Hey, I was hooked. I mainly just read the news to begin with but then I decided to become a member and that was when I really started to enjoy the site.
Regards
/ / /

#9 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:10 AM

I found CommanderBond.net after an internet search. I can't remember which one, but once I found it, I only started going to the main site at first. Then I visited the forums just to read them, then on Christmas Eve of 2001, I decided to become a member. It took me a year to decide to sign on as a member, but here I am. Hope that's what you meant.

#10 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:49 PM

I actually stumbled upon this site accidentily. I searched for Bond site on Yahoo, and wasn't very interested in the name of Commanderbond the first time, so i was going to click on the link above but accidentily clicked CBN. I am so glad i did that. This is the greatest site.

#11 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 12:07 AM

Good question.

I remember being annoyed with the lack of info. on Bond novels at the hundreds of sites on the web and typed in Raymond Benson at a search engine an CB.N came up. And I've been coming here every day ever since...

#12 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 03:09 AM

Back before Tomb Raider crashed and burned I used to visit the TR newsgroup and saw an ad for Blue Haze movies. I moved on and then in Summer 2001 I stubled across CBn thorugh artofjamesbond.com. And Some time later I registered and started posting.

#13 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 06:42 PM

My friend told me about this website, at first I posted more but now he has posted much more than me. I came regularly from when I joined until the middle of January. From then until now I stayed away to keep Bond20 as secret as possible. But news coverage, and my "trustworthy" friend told me so much, there was no point in staying away any more.

DJ

#14 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:26 PM

I was surfing the web and stumbled upon this little gem, and have been coming everyday since then. I'm so glad! :)

#15 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:21 PM

I visited good old BlueHazeMovies every week once or twice and one day there was a link that they've moved to CBN...

And that's it :)

#16 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 08:23 PM

Before I used to go to Bond20.com, but I thought that it didn't update a frequently as I had hoped, so I went on a search engine and came across you guys...and as many have said, I have been coming ever since, jumping over to mi6 occasionally to look at things there.

#17 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 07:39 PM

I used to visit "Blue Haze Movies" and... here I am. :)

#18 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 11:02 AM

I knew Danny Blue Eyes from the good old days of Blue Haze Movie News... Ah, memories.... :-P

#19 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:54 AM

I was interested in all fan films, besides being a huge Bond freak, I was a big Star Wars buff, I did some searching around and found Blue Haze Movies, found good 'ol CBn and have been here ever since.

#20 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 09:57 AM

I did a Bond 20 search on Yahoo - came up with this and the other site - tried both and decided that this site had a more intuitive layout or something, and stayed here.

They say a site's success is best judged by how often it is updated and as a result, how often it is visited, well if I'm by a computer, then it is visited at least once a day - well done all those concerned. (I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but I'm probably a bit behind on the congrats)

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 03:04 AM

Well...I had a lot to drink and then when I got online the next day, I found I was a memeber of CBN! ^_^

Actually I used to post at the Univex board* and, 'Dr Tynan sent [me], he was bitten by the [CommanderBond.net] bug.' Lots of people had talked about CBN for a while, but after noticing that three posts a week was a little slow, I finally heeded the Doctor's persuasion and came here!

And that's my life story.

*I now go there for a laugh, and to count the number of 'Anonymous's posting! ;D

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 06:24 AM

Yep, there I was, on the platform in me cloth cap and gas mask, herded onto a steam train, away from the polluted and dangerous UnivEx, to the plump bucolic splendours of CBN.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 06:19 AM

Evacuee Jim?

#24 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 06:05 AM

Also a UnivEx evacuee

#25 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 12:22 PM

Evil Doctor Cheese (14 Apr, 2002 12:18 p.m.):
<best trailer voice over voice>
"First there was MI6. Then there was a links section. The rest was history."

I hope the "Back" button on your browser is still working ok Doctor Cheese :)

#26 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:10 PM

I was told about this site by someone at the UnivEx James Bond site.

#27 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:18 AM

#28 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 09:31 PM

Well, I honestly don't remember too well. I didn't know too much about James Bond, but I was curious, and I wanted to find a good site. I found the official one right off the bat, which is fine, but not really good for much. So I bounced around and found Bond20 and MI6. I was unimpressed with Bond20, so I quit going. MI6 was good, but as James has said, MI6 and CBN cover different types of things, and I wanted more. Finally I found CBN (probably through a search engine), and was amused when they joined up with MI6. I had no idea there was any relation prior to that. From there I found the forums, where I've slowly made my way to 100 posts. (Just thought I'd slip that in.) All in all, Dan, Dave, Greg, Rory, and whoever else, you do a tremendous job, and we thank you.

#29 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:56 AM

Well, through encouragement really. I clicked on link of one's post at UE messageboard and I ended up here. that's about it.

#30 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 04:10 PM

James Page (14 Apr, 2002 01:22 p.m.):

Evil Doctor Cheese (14 Apr, 2002 12:18 p.m.):

I hope the "Back" button on your browser is still working ok Doctor Cheese :)

Certainly is baby! I had the great pleasure of advertising your site in a college magazine article I wrote about Bond. Some goof had put "for more news on Bond20 go to bond20.com" I deleted that very quickly with great delight and wrote in MI6!! MI6 has all the news without the forums... and I don't want freaks from my college coming on the forums... sorry to sound selfish but this is my personal little Bond heaven! The sites are both great guys.