This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

2002 World Stunt Awards Shows New Footage (spoilers)

19 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 01:36 AM

Jim has just written in with some great details on new footage of Die Another Day which was just shown on the 2002 World Stunt Awards on the ABC. A special part of the ceremony was dedicated to 40 years of James Bond and it was hosted by John Cleese. Cleese gave a thank you speech to all of the various stuntmen and women who had worked on the previous 19 films. As a part of the speech 'pauses' of the Bond films were shown where the actors doubles could be clearly seen.

However, that wasn't where the fun stopped. A preview for Die Another Day was then shown and Jim tells us that some footage was shown that didn't appear in the teaser trailer.

The footage does include spoilers, so you'll have to highlight to read.

Spoiler Warning (Highlight To Read)

Jim sent in this report of the footage;

One shot showed Bond in a hallway swinging his gun around to aim at an unknown target very slowly in a sort of Matrix fasion.

There was also footage of Q's Lab! in it Bond was talking to Q and turned on a jetpack (sort of fidleing around with things he shouldn't be touching in typical Bond fasion - also a symbol of recognition to Bond's past as Sean Connery had used a jetpack Thunderball). The jetpack looked like a much newer version of the Thunderball one and luckily nothing like the one in the Agent Under Fire video game.

There was also footage of Bond and various other people running out of a white and green building and then the top floor of it explodes (possibly part of the Cuba sequences?) and a shot of someone shoving a Klashnikov-57 rifle into Colonel Moon's face.

There was also a longer shot of the sequence in which Jinx is in an office working on a computer and sees the transition of Zao's face change. There were also various shots that were seen in the teaser trailer.

There's some great footage in there! Hopefully it will end up online sometime soon.

If you'd like to discuss the new footage please do so in this thread of the Die Another Day Forums. See you there!

#2 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 04:37 AM

Is it just me, or does it look as if, in the hopeful-final-result picture, Zao is trying to turn into Eminem?
Posted Image
For those that don't know, Eminem is a controversial rapper from the States.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:52 AM

Okay I'm not quite sure which one you're referring to.

But going down your page to image 8. That's Zao. I'm guessing that this is before all the action starts. Zao finds out that Van Beere is actually Bond and surrounds him. Bond hits a button and BOOM, off goes the suitcase.

Is that what you meant MBE?

While I'm at in MBE I wanted to thank you for your site. It's not huge or anything, but what you supply is unique and great!

#4 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:36 AM

Daniel, thanks for the confirmation on the fatigues.

And I don't know if you can tell from the stills but that blurry one of Moon after the somewhat clearer one is an explosion in his face, no doubt when Bond triggers the rumored exploding suitcase.

MBE

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:25 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention. Yes, they're amry fatigues. Bond and Jinx wear them in the films climax (or towards it anyway).

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:23 AM

Wow MBE, some great photos there! I noticed you've got one of Colonel Moon with one of his high-tech weapons. And it's interesting to see the jetpack taking off! Great photos! Hope we can get the full video of it!

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:12 AM

What surprised me about the clips from the Bond movies they showed was they left out George Lazenby saying "Bond, James Bond" even though they did include a couple of stunts from his movies...

Is someone being given the ole bum rush from Eon?

-- Xenobia

#8 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:08 AM

And lastly a photo of Pierce and Halle from the set (I believe the awards were taped on May 18th) and they're wearing what look to be army fatigues.

#9 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:05 AM

Here's a still of Bond about to set off the jetpack.

#10 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:03 AM

OK, I have some stills from the awards but sorry the quality is poor because of thunderstorms. (and I mostly only took stills of shots not already seen in the trailer)
http://mbe8.tripod.c...tuntawards.html

One very interesting photo is another look at the compter screen Jinx is accessing. There appear to be before and planned after pics of Zao. But the after photo does not look like Graves. My theory he's suppossed to morph into someone else but Jinx and or Bond interrupt his operation.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 11:10 PM

Ah it's so great to see that the news of the VR Sequence has paid off. While I trusted my source the notion of it did seem strange. But here we have it. We also have it in some context. It seems the audience is going to know that it's a VR sequence, hence, we have flashing images and a glowing effect.

What's more it seems we're going to get some great cinematography in the sequence. Unlike the rest of Bond, in this scene they can easily put in Matrix-like effects and get away with it!

#12 Morton Slumber

Morton Slumber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 08:33 PM

Mourning Becomes Electra (01 Jun, 2002 06:31 a.m.):
OK, I have some stills from the awards but sorry the quality is poor because of thunderstorms. (and I mostly only took stills of shots not already seen in the trailer)
http://mbe8.tripod.c...tuntawards.html

One very interesting photo is another look at the compter screen Jinx is accessing. There appear to be before and planned after pics of Zao. But the after photo does not look like Graves. My theory he's suppossed to morph into someone else but Jinx and or Bond interrupt his operation.

I could not agree more. Yet more evidence for my "nobody changes into Graves" campaign.

Soon to become the "Nobody changes into anyone" campaign.

#13 Jay

Jay

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 11:19 PM

The pictures that have my juices flowing are the ones of Colonel Moon!!! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these yet! I for one was a little concerned about Will Yun Lee as Moon. He looks too nice I thought, but after thee shots all I can say is Wow he gives Rick Yune a run for his money with as far as giving evil expressions. And BTW I love the black leather military ensemble Moon is wearing evil, chic and cool all in one! Just another time that news or pictures about DaD confirm to me that this movie is going to be the biggest Bond of them all!!! Also I agree with MBE and Slumber in the fact that Zao looks to be changing to some nobody as far as the film is concerned. The importance of all of this is what the interruption by Bond and Jinx does to Zao (ie leaves him half done after the clinic is destroyed). Also while I'm on the subject of face changing and such. I'm with Slumber in thinking that no one will turn into Graves. Another reawson besides the ones Slumber has given is this, Graves seems to be a wonderful, original complex character by himself. There is no need to make him someone else and thus dilute the importance and screen presence that Graves will certainly have!

#14 Stringfellow

Stringfellow

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 08:54 PM

I caught the show too and there was a nice montage of shots where Bond is walking down that VR hallway. Although I didn't record it, the hallway had a surreal effect to it. The walls were glowing with a light that crawls down the hallway. If anyone has a decent copy of this please verify that I am not seeing things. And when Bond turns and shoots the assassin with the machine gun firing up the side of the wall, the assassin begins to blink, as if he was a computer image. So I guess I was wrong a few days ago when I didn't believe in the VR sequence that Brosnan appears in.

By the way, the pictures of him loading his gun (or cleaning it) look very similar to the scene where Connery is waiting for Professor Dent in DN. Another homage maybe? Do you think this is the scene that leads up to the VR sequence or is part of it? Do you think this is also the scene where he pulls out the book BIRDS OF THE WEST INDIES?

#15 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 03:56 AM

Anyway, to the actual subject. I was very relieved to see the way the jetpack was used. It looked very Bond-like in it's portrayal. Everything else just looked really great. I can't wait.

#16 Morton Slumber

Morton Slumber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 08:53 AM

DavidFries (02 Jun, 2002 05:41 a.m.):
Is it just me, or does it look as if, in the hopeful-final-result picture, Zao is trying to turn into Eminem?
Posted Image
For those that don't know, Eminem is a controversial rapper from the States.

Maybe Zao is the obsessive fan, Stan...

#17 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 03:53 AM

Damn! I saw that too, and as soon as it finished I headed to my computer to tell all, but my brother was on. Then my girlfriend called. I tell you, people's timing annoys me sometimes!

#18 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 02:29 AM

SWEET FANCY MOSES! that shot of the jetpack is fantastic! Dear god is that cool...

#19 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 01:36 AM

Son of a snitch! (Hey, I'd like to use the real word, but I can't!) I went to see "The Sum Of All Fears" last night and I missed this?! I am an unhappy camper. I saw it was on, but I didn't know they had something planned for our man Bond. Where can I get this footage? Does anyone have it on tape or online? I'll PAY for someone to mail it to me. :)

Oh, and about "All Fears" they made a good Bond reference. "I'm not trained for this!" bellyaches Jack Ryan. John Clark, the "spy" in the movie, mutters, "Well you aren't Double-oh Seven." At least they acknowledge Ryan isn't a man to get the ladies and fight to die another day. :)

Jerrold

#20 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 05:28 AM

Blue Eyes (01 Jun, 2002 05:52 a.m.):
Okay I'm not quite sure which one you're referring to.

But going down your page to image 8. That's Zao. I'm guessing that this is before all the action starts. Zao finds out that Van Beere is actually Bond and surrounds him. Bond hits a button and BOOM, off goes the suitcase.

Is that what you meant MBE?

While I'm at in MBE I wanted to thank you for your site. It's not huge or anything, but what you supply is unique and great!

Whoops, I meant Zao and not Moon just as I meant Zao earlier about the morph. Note to self, do not multi-task while posting. ;-)

And thanks for your words about the site. It's small, just a way to share some of the photos, stills and media links I've rounded up/taken in one place, and fun to do w/o a lot of time or work.

MBE