13 replies to this topic

#1 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:24 PM

Just re-read ROH. Thought it started out a bit too much like LR (Bond is thought to have left Service in disgrace, to infiltrate bad guys, etc.) but overall, not bad. I also thought that it seemed like a bit of a desperate attempt to get SPECTRE into the mix, again.
But I liked the plot and the characters were good, although Gardner's Bond seems to be getting a bit sloppier, certainly than Fleming's.
Anyway, I'd like some feedback on this one, as well.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:30 PM

I didn't really like ROH when it first came out. I just didn't get into it the way I did with the first 3 Gardner books, and I was sorry to see the Saab go. But I recently re-read it and liked it quite a bit. Despite the fact that it's painfully dated. Personal computers are called "micros"? Oh well, it was 1984.

I really like the climax aboard the airship. I just love airships and I remember thinking at the time that the books were giving me the kind of imaginative set-pieces I wanted to see in the movies. Then, surprise, surprise, AVTAK ends in an airship.

#3 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:38 PM

Oh, yeah, and I don't remember all the details of the video game in NSNA, but that was too similar, was that a direct rip-off? I can't believe I left that out. Since you brought up the airship in AVTAK, it reminded me of the similarities with NSNA.

Micros...

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:58 PM

From what I heard Gardner wrote a lengthy computer game duel between Bond and the villain. It was supposed to be a major highlight of the book, like the golf match between Bond and Goldfinger. But then Glidrose heard there was going to be a computer game duel in NSNA and Gardner had to change it to that Battle of Waterloo type of role playing game (why?, I don't know). Gardner says when he finally saw NSNA, the game was nothing like his and he really thinks its exclusion hurt the book.

I'd love to see a "restored" ROH with the original computer game chapter. But this is a pipe dream I know.

#5 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:21 PM

The Revolutionary War simulation was pretty lengthy, in my opinion. (Not too long, just long enough to remind me of NSNA, 20 years after the fact.) Didn't really take away from the book, the way I saw it anyway.

(Or are you saying that there are versions of the novel with no computer-simulation-dealy at all?)

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 01:24 PM

Tamal Rahani was a interesting Villian . The new head of SPECTRE . I really loved the shot out in the house between Bond and some of the SPECTRE people. More so than the computer game. Might make a great film . Zencat why is the hope of a restored Role of Honor a pipe dream .

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:49 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
 Zencat why is the hope of a restored Role of honor a pipe dream .

Because from the looks of it, Ian Fleming Publications won't even reprint the Gardner books, let along do any sort of restoration work on them (ROH has been out of print for 10 years). They seem to now have a

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply . Yes you are correct , Ian Fleming Publications seem to be interested in only Fleming works at the moment . Odd i was in NYC at Borders Book and Music and did find a softcopy of Benson most recent novel . Might just break down and get ! Still we live in revisionist times and a revise copy of Role Of Honor might help explain the computer game sequence in the novel . when i first read it in 1984 it was a bit confussing . Then about three months ago i was thumbing throuhg it and read it again . Was a writer do you feel that it would benfit from having the original version now include ?

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:48 PM

Maybe Austin Powers will use this book as his next movie. Roll On Her.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:53 PM

Hey, it just struck me that Holy's elaborate game room, where he role plays famous battles with toy soldiers, is exactly like Whitter's room in TLD. Another Eon lift!

And isn't it the same battle: The Battle of Waterloo?

#11 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:02 PM

It was Bunker Hill, I believe, in ROH. But, good grab on TLD connection.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:10 PM

No it's the Battle of Waterloo . The Duke of Wellington ! The Living Daylights .

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:27 PM

Yes, it's Bunker's Hill in ROH. And I believe it's the Battle of Gettysburg in TLD. Remember Bond says something about "Pickett's Charge" and Whitker says something about "Lee stopping the rebellion then and there"?

The Wellington statue is just there in the room, alowing Bond make the, "He met his Waterloo," quip.

#14 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:04 PM

Originally posted by zencat

The Wellington statue is just there in the room, alowing Bond make the, "He met his Waterloo," quip.

Thanks Buddy !