23 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:37 PM

What kind of gun did Tom Selleck use as Magnum P.I.? I rememeber was sort of a trademark. Was it a Beretta? Anyone?

#2 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:53 PM

You mean it wasn't a .357 Magnum?!? or .44 Magnum?!?

#3 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:00 PM

I am going to go with a Beretta. A lot of the action guys back then used Berettas.

#4 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:31 PM

It was a Colt 1911 .45, or 'Government Model' as it is sometimes called. It was the U.S. service pistol from 1911 to 1985, when it was replaced by the Beretta 92F 9mm.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:59 PM

Excellent. Thank you, Stuart. :)

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:01 PM

Good old Thomas did carry a .45 but, having served as a SEAL was familiar with most types of military issue weapons (M-16, Uzi etc.) although the Colt was his usual carry, I do recall at least two occasions where he carried a back up in an ankle rig - and that backup everyone, was a Walther PPK.

I've got a Colt M-1911 .45 - Trust me. It's a man stopper. One round will put anything on two feet up, back and on it's butt with no worry of them getting up anytime soon...or at all for that matter.

Magnum was a good show.

#7 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:12 PM

I never saw his PPK. Cool!

As comedian Dave Atell said, "By the time I reached this age, I thought I'd be living in Hawaii, driving a red sports car, and hanging out with my black friend who flew a helicopter. Solving murders."

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:23 PM

LOL Stuart - Good one.

As the great Dennis Miller said of becoming a father -

"It was at this point that I realized I had to sell the silver Aston Martin, relinquish my licence to kill and no more would I be breaking the bank in Monte Carlo with drop-dead gorgeous women standing in line to get in my pants."

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:21 PM

I also really loved Magnum P.I. Remember the episode where he falls off his kayak and has to tread water and fend off a shark for the whole show?

Hey, where's the Magnum P.I. movie? Selleck still looks great.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:22 PM

Oh, wait, he died in the last episode, didn't he?

#11 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:26 PM

Nope. He found his daughter and they lived happily ever after, or thereabouts.

It was a cool ending, though. The final scene of Magnum and the little girl walking on a beach opened up to show that it was being shown on the TV in Magnum's bungalow (sp?). Selleck then got up off the couch and turned to the audience and said "goodnight". He then raised a remote and clicked off 'our' TV. Very well done, I thought.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:29 PM

I remember he died at the end of one season. He walks off into the clouds. Then the show was renewed and he said, "Wait a minute" and walked back. Or did I dream this?

#13 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:39 PM

Apparently, they killed him off when contract negoitiations broke down and they were going to cancel it. When that got resolved, they figured out a way to make it seem like a dream...or something like that.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:53 PM

I rememeber the death episode was pretty darn powerful.

#15 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:10 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Don't give me a ribbing about this Zencat, but when you started this thread I was harbouring a secret hope you were going to anounce they'd signed you up to write the Magnum movie. :)

Selleck's been ready to go on this for the last three years but says that Universal are the ones dragging their heels.

#16 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:12 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I also really loved Magnum P.I. Remember the episode where he falls off his kayak and has to tread water and fend off a shark for the whole show?  

Nevermind the movie, what about the potential crossover episodes w/the cast of "Airwolf?"

#17 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:13 PM

Actually......

In late '99 I had a treatment optioned by Universal for a Magnum feature called "Magnum P.I. - One More Round" - The option expired and was not renewed, hence I still have it.

As to the last season, Selleck felt the series had run it's course and wanted to be done with it. He liked the idea of Magnum being killed off. They shot it, and did have him die and walk off into the clouds. CBS was promptly swamped with letters screaming "Nooooooo!!!!!" and, as a result, they came back for one last season and resolved everything for everyone.

- TC was finally rekindling his relationship with his ex-wife.

- Rick was getting married to the right (Wright?) girl.

- Higgins memoirs were to be published by a highly respectable British publishing house.

- Thomas was finally reunited with his daughter Lily and had re-upped with the navy and ONI.

As to why there has not been a movie, Universal wants to do it, but as a "made for TV" or MOW - Movie of the Week. Selleck wants to do it as a feature (TC-Roger Moseley, Rick-Larry Manetti, Higgins-John Hillerman - are all still friends to this day) and they won't be a part of anything without Tom saying OK.

In a world of studios where Charlie's Angels, SWAT, Bewitched, Wild Wild West and even the A-Team (yes, it's in development at Universal) can be made - why not Magnum? Because there are schmucks at CBS who are greedy dumb B*st*rds.

Fire up the Island Hoppers copter, warm up the Ferrari, load the .45 and air out the guest house. I want Magnum back and on the BIG screen!

#18 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:20 AM

Follow up - Dug out my treatment. Good stuff.

Also, to any fans, check out www.ultimatemagnum.com - It's the CBn for Magnum fans.

#19 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:24 AM

OK..I have some questions:

1) Who is Lily's mother...his lost love from Vietnam?
2) Didn't it turn out there was not Robin Masters...it was Higgins all along?

-- Xenobia

#20 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:39 AM

Lily's Mother was Thomas' wife Michelle whom he married in Vietnam just before the US pulled out. Michelle was reportedly killed in a rocket strike in Vietnam before Thomas left and he believed her dead.

By chance, she turned up in Hawaii married to a Korean Officer who was being used by his government. They were briefly reunited for one night (hence Lily) but due to some old ONI business, she returned with her husband to Korea.

Robin did exist and was voiced by Orson Welles but never seen (ala' Charlie in Charlie's Angels) and slowly Thomas had developed his theory that Higgins was, in fact, Robin. In the final episode, when confronted by Magnum, Higgins did confess that he was.

However, in the last minutes during Rick's wedding he muttered to Thomas -

"Do you remember when I told you I was Robin Masters?"

MAGNUM: (smugly) Yes.

HIGGINS: I lied.

That's as I recall.

A former ONI officer/SEAL and a former MI6 officer....and they couldn't get along.

I liked Higgins....He would have dug me...except I would have asked for the use of an Aston Martin;)

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:48 AM

Thank you Bryce...you cleared that up for me, but for one thing: What ONI business would send Michelle back...did she blame Magnum for something?

-- Xen

#22 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:03 AM

The officer she was married to was a double agent who had been turned by ONI - any change in his life - like his wife leaving him for her first husband who just happened to be a former ONI man would spell death for all those involved.

#23 Lotus Esprit

Lotus Esprit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:09 PM

Hi all,
does anyone know when and if a Magnum DVD set will be relased?

#24 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:24 AM

No idea. Would be good. But there's something like 8-9 seasons of Magnum. Lot of $$$ involved in that puppy. And considering Magnum was made by Belisario who's making JAG for CBS, which incidently doesnt have any DVD's or series released, even with the pressing of fans I wouldn't hold your breath.

There's actually an insider who works with DPB (donald belisario) who created Magnum, JAG, etc who answer's questions concerning stuff like JAG and Magnum trivia questions on some mailing list. Can't remember it, but I've I'm pretty sure I can remember his email if anyone's got some Magnum question's he'd be the guy to ask.