21 replies to this topic

#1 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 06:58 PM

The screen play leaks that have got many people talking, have also got many people confused. Are these excerpts from a real treatment for Bond 20, or are they simply fan creations?

The Danjaq insider on Bond 20 that has been leaking these excerpts has contacted CBN's partner site, MI6, to lay the rumours to rest. We expose the premise for Bond 20, where the excerpts came from, and what happens next.

MI6 & CBN can now exclusively reveal the following information about Bond 20:

The screenplay treatment that the recent scenes have been taken from was started shortly after TWINE's release by Neil Purvis and Robert Wade and submitted to Barbara Broccoli earlier this year. Ben Wilcox has now been put in charge or reworking this treatment into a first draft of the script.

The screenplay treatment premise is based on two quotes, from Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan. EON's desire is to deliver a character-lead film that will more than satisfy the fans of the series, as well delivering action packed spectacles the likes of which have never been seen in a Bond film before.

Regular visitors will know that we have identified several potential inconsistencies with this treatment and what we do know about EON's direction with Bond 20. Our source has qualified these inconsistencies with further details and information about the premise of the film.

Many concerns of the screenplay revolve around the role of Q and R. Since this treatment was completed, Cleese has signed up to play Q for three movies and as such, EON will be removing the role of R in the first draft of the script. Our source identified this problem and has stated that that is one of the tasks Ben Wilcox has on reworking this treatment.

The newly leaked scenes describe flash back sequences to the attempted assassination of William Saten by Andrew Bond, and the revenge killing of 007's parents. But who will play these roles? The premise of the Bond 20 treatment identifies Connery as wanting to play a cameo role. There are no details at this time whether this cameo will ever take place, or whether it is envisaged that he will play Andrew Bond in these flash back sequences.

----------------------------------

Anyways, you can read the rest (and all the screenplay scenes) at http://www.mi6.co.uk as it was too much to post here!

Cheers,
James.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 03:29 PM

Blue Eyes (09 Aug, 2001 09:58 a.m.):
But just to clarify. CommanderBond.Net's official stance on the script is that it is fan created.

Then that's my official position as well. The origin of this thing has gotten way too murky, and I'm highly suspicious of all this "inside" information. Maybe it true, maybe it's not. I can't tell anymore. So I'm gonna bow out of this discussion and resume it in November 2002.

#3 Civilian_the007tv_*

Civilian_the007tv_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2001 - 11:50 AM

Personaly, I do believe the storyline the Danjaq insider sent first to Bond20.com . The 3 excerpts are fine for a first draft for the movie.

I do believe it's true and that some elements will be found in the movie.

We'll see.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 04:53 PM

So last night while waiting in line on the Warner Bros. lot for what turned out to be a pretty darn good movie ("The Anniversary Party") I explained the whole "Final Assignment" series of events to a level-headed, clear thinking girlfriend... She just shook her head and said, "John, you're being conned."

Is she right? Is this a massive con? This type of thing has happened in the Star Wars community -- are we all being suckered here?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:41 PM

James Page (07 Aug, 2001 08:27 p.m.):
Personally, I doubt it...
"Final Assignment" is likely to be a reference to Andrew Bond's last mission, rather than our James. This misunderstanding is what has caused most people to fly off the handle and call the whole thing BS.

But that's not a bad misunderstanding. A Bond film called "FINAL ASSIGNMENT" would be provocative. People who don't normally go see Bond films might go to see this one thinking it may indeed be the last one (as it links nicely to all PB's retirement talk). Sure, the title isn't very Bondian, but I like it as an effective way of marketing Bond 20 as a "special" Bond film (kind of like the aborted Licence Revoked). I think they should go for it.

My head is spinning with this news.

Who the hell is Ben Wilcox and how did HE get the gig!? Grrrr...

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 08:01 AM

This things gets more confusing all the time. It seriously does!!

But just to clarify. CommanderBond.Net's official stance on the script is that it is fan created.

#7 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:27 PM

zencat (07 Aug, 2001 08:20 p.m.):
But wait! You need to ask your source the BIG question...

Is the title of Bond 20 going to be "FINAL ASSIGNMENT" ?

(I'd be fine with this title, BTW.)

Personally, I doubt it...
"Final Assignment" is likely to be a reference to Andrew Bond's last mission, rather than our James. This misunderstanding is what has caused most people to fly off the handle and call the whole thing BS.

I started off thinking the leaks were fan scripts, but the sheer weight of evidence has built up to such a point now that my opinions have swung the other way (my body still swings the same way though =)

=
J

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 06:41 AM

So this was a spec script. Though I'm surprised EON reacted favourably to it.

"Johnny English" is a Rowan Atkinson spy/adventire spoof.

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 02:48 AM

Wow, thats all really something. I don't mind the title 'FINAL ASSIGNMENT', theres nothing wrong with it and its a good marketing ploy.

The return of Sean Connery could be cool, but I'm not sure if I can see it happening. Plus, I think its a bit unfair on the current Bond to have him in the film.

#10 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 01:34 PM

...is notable by its absence. Usually they've issued a denial when the rumour-mill gets up to a certain speed, but so far, nothing.

Also, I'm presuming that the high-ups within EON and MGM must be fuming that details of one of their most important films for years has got out. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of "staff changes" at EON in the near future...

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:20 PM

But wait! You need to ask your source the BIG question...

Is the title of Bond 20 going to be "FINAL ASSIGNMENT" ?

(I'd be fine with this title, BTW.)

#12 Diamond

Diamond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 02:34 AM

Zen & Blue - made some calls. This is what I have found out. Explains a lot. 2 unknown writers contact EON through their agent with a treatment for Bond 20. ie. Final Assignment. Eon like it. P&W work on more ideas with these writers as they are busy working on something called Johnny English ( don't know what the F*** that is - do you?? ). Then these two unknown writers work on a whole screenplay on their own using their own ideas mixed with Purvis & Wade's.

This is the script that has been leaked.

However, P&W finish working on JEnglish and they are told by EON that the script needs a lot more work. P&W get involved again. They do another draft. Which we have not seen!!!!

To make matters worse - the internet side of the plot needs buffing up. Hence B Willcocks appearance on the screenwriting front. Hired to take everything and add his own style to the mix.

This explains so many things and has set my mind at rest.

What we have is just the original seed of ideas of these 2 ?? writers have written using ideas from Purvis & Wade along the way. New writers but with some good ideas - just need to improve on writing scripts!!!

Diamond

#13 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 08:27 PM

Either way, it's a gem of Bondia, and has generated a lot of enthausiasm for Bond 20 - this early on!

As old ppl say, the journey's more important than the destination.

=
J

#14 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:19 PM

I've sitting at work today just bursting to tell you all that! =)

=
J

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:13 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 12:02 AM

Blue Eyes (08 Aug, 2001 12:32 a.m.):
It's all very confusing. I have no idea what I'm going to write. My head is spinning! ;)

Try an alka-seltza, or if you're like me, a good notch of your favourite blend. =)

I had the luxury (and torture) of having to think all this new material and news through when I was stuck at work all day before posting anything tonight, so I guess I have an unfair advantage this time around :)

But I'm pretty sure the Bond 20 screenplay leaks are over for the short to medium term (probably until the first draft of the script is complete), so I guess we will all have some time on our hands over the next couple of months to digest everything thoroughly.

On that note, it's been a hell of a 24 hours - I'm off to bed!!! :)

=
J

#17 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 12:00 AM

->

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 01:35 AM

Blue Eyes (09 Aug, 2001 02:29 a.m.):
You don't happen to remember anything else about the fake Episode II Script do you Zencat? I'm looking for it, but cannot find it :)

Sorry, I don't. I never saw it (I try to avoid EPII spoilers as well). I just remember hearing about it.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 01:29 AM

You don't happen to remember anything else about the fake Episode II Script do you Zencat? I'm looking for it, but cannot find it :)

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 11:32 PM

It's all very confusing. I have no idea what I'm going to write. My head is spinning! :)

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 12:37 AM

Sounds like we're on the same page Blue Eyes. Everyday my opinion re this script changes...and today I'm thinking it's all a big fraud.

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:44 PM

I've been thinking about why EON/MGM have not denied it or anything along those lines. This is what I think:

Why should they! Has it made press? No! The closest it has got to the media stage (apart from this glorious website and a few others :)) is when the BBC visited my site (yup they did!! :))

So if it's not on a world scale basis, and knowing that the official James Bond site receives a lot more visits than my own, why inflame it by making a public denial! That would only cause more interest in the plot.

That added to the fact that EON nor MGM deny everything. Most things they let go past, unless it's something like Beyond The Ice or Kevin Spacey which stayed in the media for months on end!

I'm interested in what your girlfriend said Zencat. I still don't believe it's the plot to Bond 20. I believe that the Bond community is being suckered. In my most recent report I've concluded that I have mixed reactions. It's just far too early.

Plus, I'm not sure how well everyone follows Star Wars. But I remember a Episode II Script about 6 months back floating around the net. Exactly the same as this one you could say!

It was a full length script, full detail. Was professionally written. And it included a lot of detail as to things that had been rumoured as being in the next film. But was it real? Hell no. The comparisons between the two are extremely similair I'd say! In fact I might mention this on the main site if I can do more research and get more facts!