6.X

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 05:44 AM

Don't worry everybody. I'm sure that the public is just uninformed. Xenobia is right, most of the films listed before Die Another Day are all released way before Die Another Day, so it's normal that they should get more hype than a film coming out quite a while from now.

However, I cannot believe that Die Another Day can be at the bottom of the list. Second half: sure. But bottom o' the list? No. This is not good, people. The public does not know of the vast Hollywood conspiracy to destroy Eon for the most-evil run-of-the-mill American action flick!

I'm sure all the non-Eon producers are up on top of an Alp, being hypnotised by a man who will not reveal his face. If any producers question the motives of POLTERGIEST (Producers Organised to Live TheirEvery Reveilled-moment Getting the Indomitable Eon-productions to Submit to Tastelessness in filmmaking) the faceless leader will electrocute them in their chair.

Of course I, and I alone know the leader's name, it is: Kev--no! That knock on the door! I can't be! It is! Their agents have gotten to me...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for repeating yourself there Bingo. ??? ::shaking head::

#4 bingo

bingo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 03:59 AM

[quote]Tanger (04 May, 2002 01:15 a.m.):
US Release dates:

1.Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - May 16th, 2002

2.Spider-Man - May 3rd, 2002

3.The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - December 18th, 2002

4.The Matrix Reloaded - May 23rd, 2003

5.T3: Rise of the Machines - July 2nd, 2003

6.X

#5 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:16 PM

On a completely unrelated note... diSJDASKJHDASKUHDSAKJASN I just watched that Halloween Resurrection trailer and I freaked out...thank you so much for the link I've been waiting to see that forever

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:48 PM

Adam (06 May, 2002 12:16 a.m.):
On a completely unrelated note... diSJDASKJHDASKUHDSAKJASN I just watched that Halloween Resurrection trailer and I freaked out...thank you so much for the link I've been waiting to see that forever

No problem. It's great isn't it.
The first time I saw it, I nearly peed myself. Especially at the bit;

The webcast is live.
The stage is set.
But the house....
*door bursts open*
Is his! *Michael Myers stood in doorway*

I really think that the old feeling is back. I especially like the fact that they have Jamie Lee Curtis looking like the young Laurie Strode. Very nostalgic. The mask's definitely one of the better ones too.

'Hello Michael. I knew you'd come sooner or later....What took you so long?'

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 12:15 AM

US Release dates:

1.Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - May 16th, 2002

2.Spider-Man - May 3rd, 2002

3.The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - December 18th, 2002

4.The Matrix Reloaded - May 23rd, 2003

5.T3: Rise of the Machines - July 2nd, 2003

6.X

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:50 PM

I think there's an element of taking Bond for granted here. After 40 years, most people just take the arrival every two (or three) years of a new Bond film as a given.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:48 PM

I think there are a couple of things to remember here:

Half the films on this list are summer releases. Because (it seems) everyone and their cousin twice removed go to the movies during the summer, all of those season's flicks are hyped to death...so of course the public will be interested.

You also have several sequals on that list, and sequals to massive hits I might add, so they have fan bases built in.

I believe the last film to be released on this list, is in fact Bond 20 (which I usually refer to as NAT -- Needs Another Title). Trust me once those trailers get out there, and commericals start airing, interest will rise.

-- Xenobia

PS: Why bother combing the web when all the smart Bond fans know, CBN is the place to go?

#10 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:23 PM

With my non-Bond-fan mates they don't usually say "I can't wait for the next Bond film" and I think would be aware of a new Star Wars film or Matrix film more because they are parts in a story, so they want to know what happens next, even if they aren't fanatics.

But certainly when the Bond trailer or film comes out they usually say "Ah, cool let's go see that".

They normally take the mick out of me for being a Bond fan, but they all love it really and can't wait for the new film to come out.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 06:18 PM

level007 (05 May, 2002 04:12 p.m.):
on others subject, i recently saw the teaser trailer for XXX. Pffff, you what it is ? An American James bond..... At one moment XXX (an amercian agent) is using a parachute with an american flag on it. And at the end of the trailer we saw XXX near a beauty in a bed, and he is saying :"that things i am gonna do for my country" which is very very similar to what Boind say to Magda in Octopussy.
Have a look at the teaser.

Don't you mean when Bond says: 'The things I do for England...' in You Only Live Twice?

XXX sounds like a real rip-off. Is it a serious film? If so, here're my throughts:

Comedic parodies can be ignored (with regards to insulting Bond), but a 'serious' spy film should not pretend to be Bond. In fact, why doesn't Eon or Rick Sylvestri (sp?) sue XXX for copying the parachute stunt.

#12 Mr. Solo

Mr. Solo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 07:00 PM

XXX seems to be the latest in a line of action/spy films promising to re-invigorate and re-invent the genre (and implicitly proclaiming that Bond is passe). Films like these (Mission: Impossible, Tomb Raider, etc.) promise to launch a whole new franchise to compete with 007...

But, as the XXX trailer painfully shows, they owe their very existence (and sometimes their plots and dialogue, as well) to Bond. And after one or two movies, the "franchise" is over...

It's irritating to read the fanboy posts on sites like AICN which applaud the coming of these flicks, while bashing the Bond series mercilessly.

When I heard someone recently talking about how great MI:2 was, and how James Bond was "over", I couldn't help but think: Get back to me when the 20th Mission Impossible movie opens, then we'll talk.

Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir, here, but that XXX trailer really irked me...

#13 bingo

bingo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:23 PM

If this list is the ultimate indicator, 'Minority Report' will be in serious danger, cause it will be released in a month. And where is Harry Potter?
This can hardly be the ultimate indicator, more an internet weirdo list.Take the example of Yahoo listing (much more popular than movie.com which is nothing more than a lame attempt by Disney to foray into internet arena) shows 'Resident Evil' in Top Ten for months, and its bo is less than 40m. Jennifer Lopez takes the top position by miles for two years, and you can hardlly find Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. I won't take it too seriously.Goodwill and brand name is there.

#14 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 07:35 PM

[sarcasm]And upcomingmovies.com is gospel so we must believe every statistic that comes from their site as a barometer for public attitude.[/sarcasm]

#15 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 07:27 PM

1/4 of the movies on the upcomingmovies.com list are not even going to be released till next year which says how bad the Bond industry is in America. And godbless the French and their support for DAD at the 8 spot. Thanks guys :)

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:34 PM

It could also be that most people don't yet associate the title Die Another Day with being a James Bond movie. Teaser poster and trailer should help. Hopefully the teaser poster will have the title on it. I didn't like that the The World is not Enough teaser only had a "007" on it.

#17 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 03:19 PM

Follow these links for Trailers:

XXX - Theatrical Trailers

http://movies.yahoo....7816302&intl=us

HalloweeN Resurrection - Teaser

http://movies.yahoo....trailer&intl=us

#18 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 03:12 PM

License To Kill (04 May, 2002 08:27 p.m.):
1/4 of the movies on the upcomingmovies.com list are not even going to be released till next year which says how bad the Bond industry is in America. And godbless the French and their support for DAD at the 8 spot. Thanks guys :)

Thanks for Us (the french people), anyway we have been already reward for this support: We are gonna see the movie first !!! 11 20 02 !!!!

on others subject, i recently saw the teaser trailer for XXX. Pffff, you what it is ? An American James bond..... At one moment XXX (an amercian agent) is using a parachute with an american flag on it. And at the end of the trailer we saw XXX near a beauty in a bed, and he is saying :"that things i am gonna do for my country" which is very very similar to what Boind say to Magda in Octopussy.
Have a look at the teaser.

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 07:15 PM

Well heck, of course Die Another Day is on the bottom of the list. Why would anyone goto movies.com for Bond news, when everyone knows that CBN has the best Bond news coverage.

#20 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 07:12 PM

I go on that site regularily and the guy who does it is a comic book fan. He's not really a big fan of Bond so doesn't update it as regularily as he should... that's probably why the DAD preview page is not so popular... because he doesn't post that much news about DAD. Also last month it was about number 12. He likes his comic book films too much and is a very good source for them but when it comes to Bond...

Anyway I had a similar thing with my friends... they're not over the moon about DAD but out of a list of 13/14 films that we were ordering as "want to sees" in a dull English lesson DAD came between average 6th or 7th. Still pretty good. They don't really care about it but they'll go and see it and it'll shoot up to second place in their must see movies after all the summer films are done with. Second only to Lord of The Rings and you know how much I rate that series of films. Geeks and freaks of the world unite and give them a BAFTA for doing it Pathetic!

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 02:50 PM

rafterman (05 May, 2002 10:00 a.m.):
yeah most people won't know that Die Another Day is Bond until they see trailers or posters, it's the one series that doesn't have the same name in every title, that is why for the last three they always use the 007 logo, that is what gets people....

And there in lies the problem: "Goldeneye" you knew was a Bond movie. Ditto for TND and TWINE -- let alone the 16 that have come before them.

Die Another Day....is not as clearly a Bond title as the others have been. Yet another reason for me to continue to call this movie NAT. (For the new members, Needs Another Title.)

-- Xenobia

#22 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 06:43 PM

[quote]level007 (04 May, 2002 10:45 a.m.):
I found a top ten in a french movie website called www.cinereporter.com

here is the list:
1 - Matrix reloaded (in projet)
2 - Star Wars

#23 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 02:51 AM

What were the polls for The World is not Enough?

#24 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 09:00 AM

yeah most people won't know that Die Another Day is Bond until they see trailers or posters, it's the one series that doesn't have the same name in every title, that is why for the last three they always use the 007 logo, that is what gets people....

#25 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 10:45 PM

I'm just glad Halloween: Resurrection made the list, which means people are interested, which will hopefully yield a good box office and the series' continuation

#26 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 10:54 PM

zencat (03 May, 2002 11:34 p.m.):
It could also be that most people don't yet associate the title Die Another Day with being a James Bond movie. Teaser poster and trailer should help. Hopefully the teaser poster will have the title on it. I didn't like that the The World is not Enough teaser only had a "007" on it.

This one:

Posted Image

#27 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 11:54 PM

Everybody keeps referring to it as 'movies.com' it's actually 'upcomingmovies.com'.
Anyway, I'm not taking it really seriously and as a huge indicator that DAD is going to fail. It's just that the site is a movie reference site and you'd expect the 20th film in a 40 year old movie franchise to be a little higher.
You could argue and say that there are loads of 'Bond only' sites out there for people's information, but the same can be said for Star Wars. So this site is just being viewed by the general public mainly and not huge Bond or Star Wars fans.

There will probably be a tremendaous shift around this month, although with the release of EpII, could this cause it to be searched for even more?

#28 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 09:45 AM

I found a top ten in a french movie website called www.cinereporter.com

here is the list:
1 - Matrix reloaded (in projet)
2 - Star Wars

#29 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 02:27 AM

I've got no idea what XXX is and the fact that they only just announced a Fast and the Furious sequel a week or so ago tells me this thing isn't anything to get worked up about.

Let this summer movie junk get out of the way first. Then we can all get ready for that early Christmas gift. Or for those of us in the states, something to be thankful for.

#30 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 08:18 AM

I'd ignore that list until after the release of Star Wars Episode II. I think there will be a big shift around.

Also I agree with Zencat, when the teaser posters are in theatres and the teaser trailers are playing Die Another Day will zip up that list.