182 replies to this topic

#31 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:09 PM

I am terribly sorry to hear about Mr. Benson's decision. I enjoyed the James Bond Bedside Companion and it is one of two books that I would save from my collection if I had to bail out fast.

God only knows us writers often find ourselves pulled between several projects, and sometimes decisions have to be made.

Raymond Benson is taking a break, but nothing is set in stone. He may come back to it, he may not.

What is sad though is the time he choose. We are looking at two to three year gap between films again. Alas, if we ever needed a novel it is now.

Bon Voyage Mr. Benson. I look forward to reading your new suspence novel.

-- Xenobia

#32 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:13 PM

No one here is blaming Benson.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:14 PM

Originally posted by marktmurphy
Its a definite shame but was bound to happen- how can a series of novels featuring the most consistently popular character of our times (as said above: by half the world's population) fail so badly? I really don't think Benson is to blame on this one- its certainly a management thing. For example has anyone ever found a Raymond hardback in a shop? I had to go into central London for mine, and then I had to ask for it to find the thing.

I agree marktmurphy. I don't think you can blame Raymond for a low print run and zero promotion (this was also true of late Gardner). It tough to sell a million books when only 2000 are printed. The reason Raymond's hardcovers sell on the collectors market for such high prices is because they had fantastically low print runs and sometimes sold out within weeks of publication. And did you ever see an ad for a Benson book in the paper? I never did.

That's not to say I think Benson's appointment was a particulary wise one- but again: not his fault. I'm sure we all would if we were asked (I'd have a go. I wouldn't put my name on it, mind). Its just been handled in the wrong way- rushed productions, limited runs, no promotion, bad design even (NDOD- yeuch) .I'd love to see a publishing house like Virgin take the Bond series on. Just look at their work on the consistently good Doctor Who continuation novels in the 90's. The mini rough guide to Bond even has a section on possibe future authors- Ian Rankin anyone? Try his Jack Harvey books.
Still, I hope Raymond truely is tired of it and hasn't been pushed. It would be a shame to see someone who obviously loves what he does and has put so much effort into entertaining others rejected so harshly.
Lets hope its for the best.

I agree with you. A publisher like Virgin would know how to handle Bond. But there is a tradition with Hodder, but maybe that's the problem. IFP are too bound by "tradition."

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:15 PM

No one here is blaming Benson.

Sorry, marktmurphy, you're right. I didn't read your post correctly. I agree with what you said. I'll edit my above post.

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:16 PM

That's odd - I replied to your post before you made it (or at least the first part of it).
Do I smell some Staff Member tinkering, John?

#36 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:16 PM

Does MGM own any rights to this publishing firm? How do you manage to mispromote James Bond.

It's true Virgin would know how to promote -- and would promote very well -- the literary Bond series. But I think the chances of Gildrose jumping ship are about the same as Eon going anywhere but to whomever buys MGM.

-- Xenobia

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:19 PM

That's odd - I replied to your post before you made it (or at least the first part of it).
Do I smell some Staff Member tinkering, John?

Yes, I tinkered. But is wasn't for any malicious reason. I edited my post to include your post when I saw Xen had posted above me and when I saw I had misunderstood you (if that makes any sense). Sorry.

#38 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:20 PM

That's okay- makes me look psychic.

#39 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:22 PM

Ha! If you like, I can zap the post?

#40 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:25 PM

Oh, tish and pish- we're taking up valuable Raymond-comiserating (or I-told-you-so-ing) space.

#41 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:54 PM

Oh my God...the BKE (Bad Karma Effect) extends from machines I touch to machines I am nowhere near but post on.

Weird!

-- Xenobia

#42 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:54 PM

i am sorry to hear all of this and i hope that he was not pushed out the door because thats not right, he has done good stories, they have had low moments but who thats writes books dosent have a lull or two?, that being said i will tell u i have never ever read a fleming novel....dont care for em but i did like benson and i hope that whoever takes up the bond writing chores will put in as much detail as he did and will care for the character as he did

#43 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:00 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
but who thats writes books dosent have a lull or two?

Er, Fleming?

Sorry- easy shot.

#44 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:10 PM

But then no. I'd dont think the key to a new Bond series is worry about Fleming anymore- Bond has left him behind. There's no point in trying to stay in touch with Ian anymore- this just stagnates the books and makes them look tired. By coincidence I tried reading HTTK last night and the sheer weight of continuity references in the first chapter alone destroyed any interest I had. By contrast, the Doctor Who series of novels recently recognised this in themselves and removed it by having the main character lose his memory forever. Since then the series has had no option but to think of new situations and never to resort to the fanboy irritant of in-jokes or obscure references (Doctor Who celebrating its 40th anniversary this year).
Bond needs some fresh angles and new thinking.

#45 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:21 PM

Er, Fleming?

Sorry- easy shot.

no that was not an easy shot, cause i promise you that fleming at some point had a lull or two....dont fool yourself and to say he did not is being asinine, but see i am not a disciple at the feet of fleming >his books to me "i dont give a rip about them' they mean nothing to me, but i just dont want to see a good writer done wrong all in the name of of ian fleming and those who run his estate.

hopefully we can get a new writer that can put bond back on the printed page................lets all hope so for bonds sake

#46 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:25 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i have never ever read a fleming novel

#47 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:28 PM

and your point being?

#48 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:48 PM

just cause i have never read fleming makes me unable to say weather or not he had a lull or two? just the mere fact that he was a writer says at a point or two he had a lemon...no writer, no writer ever goes lemon free, i dont care how high the people try to put him to god like status and benson was not perfect, and the guy that comes after benson wont be, i just hope they do right by bond

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:51 PM

I actually don't think Benson had a lemon in the batch. I loved all his original books and I think he became a better writer each time out. That's another reason this is so heartbreaking. I think he still had several great Bond novels in him. He was not where Gardner was by his 6th book.

#50 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:52 PM

what writer would each of you like to see write bond? i know we all have a name we would like to see take a crack at it, if you had to pick a name who would it be?

#51 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:55 PM

Jim.

#52 Truman-Lodge

Truman-Lodge

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:14 AM

Yikes, this thread filled up fast. Okay, I read 3/4 of it, and skipped the mild flamewar. So here's what I have to say...

1) I'm still not clear on whether this is permanent or temporary. *slaps forehead*
2) I can actually live without Bond books (there's still some I haven't read yet), but I sympathize with those who can't.
3) I highly respect both Fleming and Benson. Even though Benson's prose wasn't very polished, he had some good ideas.
4) I don't know much about the situation, but it seems like Glidrose's "distaste" for continuing the series was a self-fulfillling prophecy. If you don't give to the series, you won't get much back.

#53 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:23 AM

With the official Fleming site saying "Raymond Benson is now working on other projects" I'd guess that this is permanent. That's how I interpret that statement anyway.

Then again, Raymond's site says that "nothing is set in stone". So who knows :)

#54 Truman-Lodge

Truman-Lodge

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

Hell...Benson could write fanfiction and I'd still consider it part of the canon. Who needs Glidrose? :)

(Okay, maybe he still needs money though :))

#55 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Truman-Lodge

I don't know much about the situation, but it seems like Glidrose's "distaste" for continuing the series was a self-fulfillling prophecy.  If you don't give to the series, you won't get much back.  

Definitely.

And I concur with Blue Eyes: the Fleming site statement has an unwelcome ring of permanence about it. It really does look like it's all over for Benson and Bond, and quite possibly curtains for the literary series.

#56 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:04 AM

Someone should make a call to Geoffrey Jenkins' estate and give them a nudge. :)

#57 Truman-Lodge

Truman-Lodge

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:06 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
Someone should make a call to Geoffrey Jenkins' estate and give them a nudge. :)

Was he the "Per Fine Ounce" guy?

#58 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Truman-Lodge

Was he the "Per Fine Ounce" guy?

Yes.

With the lack of a permanent Bond author now, maybe they should dust off that manuscript for next year.
:)

#59 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:39 AM

Sorry to hear they'll be no more Raymond Benson Bond books, and possibly no more continuation novels. I've only read some of the post-Fleming books, but I'd definatly rather have them than not have them.

What about when the next Bond film comes along though and there's no current Bond author ? Will there be a novelisation ? Will Raymond write it ?

#60 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia
I am terribly sorry to hear about Mr. Benson's decision.  I enjoyed the James Bond Bedside Companion and it is one of two books that I would save from my collection if I had to bail out fast.

-- Xenobia

As much as I enjoy his novels, Bedside Companion is his best book and, obviously, a labor of love. In the intro to the recent re-print, he stated that he wouldn't update it because of his new role as Bond author. Something to do with perspective (and probably IFP come to think of it). Now, I'd love to see him update the Companion with his views on the recent Gardners, the recent films and, why the heck not, where his books fit into the big picture. Good luck, Mr. Benson, in whatever you do!