This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Brandon Steves

Brandon Steves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:36 PM

I voted for Goldeneye. It was a great mix of action and comedy. If villains make a bond movie then Goldeneye is a great one.

No, No, No, no more foreplay!

#152 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:39 AM

Brosnan's best is Goldeneye, my favorite of his however, is Tomorrow Never Dies

#153 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:52 AM

Brosnan's best is Goldeneye, my favorite of his however, is Tomorrow Never Dies

Now that's the spirit! GoldenEye used to be my fav, but now it's TND very firmly! The girls, plot, locations, dilaogue and villains are some of my favorites! It really culminates in this film.

#154 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:12 AM

I've got to echo that sentiment. I've always thought Brosnan's most well-made film was GE, but the spirit was really in TND. It's got some great lines and is some all-around fun. It's really captures the entertainment Bond films should be!

#155 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:32 AM

I am in full agreement with the man himself Pierce Brosnan who went on record while promoting DAD to say that GOLDENEYE is his best 007 outing.

#156 DoctorM

DoctorM

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:12 PM

I voted for GE because I think it was a very good film overall and a nice way to restart the series after 6 bond-less years (the dark ages).Go GE! :)

#157 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:17 PM

Welcome to the all-new and improved CBN Doctor M

#158 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

Die Another Day is Brosnan's best but I like Goldeneye just as good as DAD. Die Another Day only minus is the overexposed CGI. This is a Bond movie not a 'let's show the public what CGI can do" - movie. Die Another Day has the best score, Story, locations, actors, action scenes and I think Gustav Graves/General Moon is one of the best villians and I think Miranda Frost is good, too bad that she didn't get some more scenes in the movie. Goldeneye has also one of the best villians. Alec Trevelyan/006/Janus is cool and Sean Bean is a great actor.

Edited by Bond_Bishop, 19 January 2004 - 04:39 PM.

#159 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:19 PM

No contest.
Die Another Day.

For all its stupidity it still has something most of the other films lack...a sense of relentless fun. There is no melodramatic schmaltzy scenes of Bond kissing a former lover who has just died, like he does with the bodies of Paris or Electra..talk about heavy handed.
Wait.
In DAD, Bond *does* caress Miranda's face, doesn't he? Upon finding her dead on the plane?
Crap.
So much for THAt argument. Still, I stand by my claims that DAD is the best.

Goldeneye- nah, too dry. Tries to hard to be old school Connery-esque. and besides, Bond is well too aware of his own legend and larger than life reputation. For example, M calls him a " sexist, misogynist, dinosaur, a cold war relic..blah, blah" and 006 asks him if "all those vodka martinis has silenced the screams of all the women he failed to protect" or some such nonsense. How lame. Please, who talks like this? Very heavy handed. Maybe such lines were used to introduce the Bond character and attitude to new, younger audiences who werent aware of who he is and what he is all about. But, I still didn't very much care for it. Besides, the locations are all very drab and the movie is boring and Pierce doesnt have a handle on the role yet at all and he delivers one liners very badly (worse than even dalton).

TND- This movie is crap. It is allegedly to have been re-written while the film was actually being filmed and oooh boy, does it ever show. What a stinker! Granted i saw it in theatres 3 times and own the dvd but still I think it is very dull. My least favorite second to only to TMWTGG. This film is comprised of uninspired setpieces and ho-hum action scenes. The Halo jump seems forced and only stuck into the story as a means to have an action scene to wake people up. Likewise, the bond theme is utilized time and time again only to seemingly remind audeinces that they are watching a *Bond* movie and not just the latest Chuck Norris or Steven Segal straight to video crap rental. Its hard to differentiate TND from generic crap cinema, it truly is.
While other Bond films obviously do the same thing, (over utilize the bond theme song, throw in action scnes just for the heck of it) no other film has ever felt so *forced* and unatural to me as this one.
PS Carver is really kinda lame. Stamper is also underutilized and is about the 10 billionth blonde haired Red Grant clone this series has had (Necros, the guy in FYEO etc. etc....enuff already!).

TWINE- Bond finally gains his mojo back. The script is fresh, witty, and the action actually manages to thrill this time, despite it being filmed and edited very blandly and although the plot of stealing a nuclear missile has been done to death this film manges to reinvent the idea in a different manner. It also takes some risks (such as imprisoning M, and injuring Bond's shoulder)
Sadly, the plot has waaay too many holes for it to be rewatchable, but it still has its grand moments. But thats the problem, its a movie of moments, NOT a cohesive flowing whole.

DAD- What in the blazes is Pierce doing in a Roger movie? Oh well, I love it. But, admittedly Jinx kinda sux. The action is inspired (albeit a tad too fake) and the plot is a mixture of John Woo's Face off , Fleming's unused Moonraker novel among other things, still its ALOT of fun. It has an epic scope and feel to it which has been lacking for quite some time. The locations are memorable. The ice palace alone is worth the ticket price. Plus, finally after the Cold War ended we at long last have found suitable villains worthy of Bonds talents: the North Koreans

Give 'em hell, James!

Edited by Roger_Moore's_Bad_Facelift, 06 January 2004 - 10:42 PM.

#160 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:41 AM

I agree with DAD being the best Brosnan- Bond. The film has great action, great locations, I really liked Graves for a villain, and the Ice Palace is a amazing set, reminscent of all the great Ken Adams sets! DAD is a bit goofy at times, but overall, it is much more fun than Brosnan's other three.

#161 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:08 AM

My ranking

1) Die Another Day

There are problems. It felt too fast for me at a few points, the dialogue could have been better in a few spots. But the first 2/3rds of this film are the best Bond since Octopussy IMHO. (with TLD and GE close in the lead) Am I the only Bond fan under 20 (okay, I'm exactly 20) who doesn't like the Brosnan slant on things? Everyone is betraying him, and blah, blah, blah. I think it's great that get we a fun adventure for the first time in years. I can live with the "it's personal" tone because it fits the plot. But I want the personal stuff (and "surprise" villains) to STOP! :) Jeez, talk about being taking a franchise too seriously. And so many fans my age are actually eating this up?

What I like about DAD is that it's fun for fun and enjoyment. It's also more savvy than any Bond film in many years, and it's even 'hip' in many ways. I'd love Bond to be as cool as he used to be and the first 2/3rds of DAD were a large step on the right direction- until they tripped and fell down the stairs.

2) GoldenEye

The most UnBond one IMHO. But hey, they had the six year gap. Lots of energy, and a cool plot. But this feels more like a mid 90's action film to me. The Cuba stuff reminds me of Jurassic Park. Am I the only one to make this connection, or does anyone else agree? The music was... yeah. And it wasn't structured like a Bond film. Still, for what it is, it's pretty cool.

3) Tomorrow Never Dies

Eh, harmless. Good rewatchablity. Niether great, nor terrible. The Hamburg stuff is some of my favorite Brosnan. Then it turns into Terminator 2 1/2. :)

4) The World Is Not Enough

Coulda worked and one uped GE, but I think it fell apart after 35 minutes. There was never any threat against Elektra, so how are we supposed to fear for her life? This film also doesn't know what it wants to be. Renard was weak as well, he needed an OBJECTIVE. Yeah, I know it was nuking Istanbul, but he needed something to let the audience know he bad. Bond just simply follows him to a missile silo. I dunno, it was well directed and had a great look. Wonderful first 30 minutes! Yet so many people seem to be blind to it's massive faults and totally eat it up. :)

#162 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:39 AM

Yet so many people seem to be blind to it's massive faults and totally eat it up. :)

Great post, man. I agree with everything except for this tiny part right here ^^.

While I happen to like ALOT of TWINE, it admitedly does have flaws aplenty. However, I find myself to be in the minority that I see even the slighetst bit of entertainment value in this film. It usually gets an overall TOTALLY bad rap, in general. I think you will find MOST people hate it as much (if not worse )than u and an even greater amount of people probably don't even remember it existed. My friends hated this film (and they are just casual movie watchers, not Bond fanatics) and even the most hardcore of Bondians hate it as well. I happen to like ALOT of it. I only wish the aforementioned flaws had been corrected.

Persoanlly, I don't agree. I don't think the movie is confused. I think it knows exactly what it wants to be: A down to earth Bond thriller harkoning back to the likes of FYEO (with a dabble of OHMSS thrown in for good measure.) Some people proclaim that the film is schizophrenic and doesn't know what type of movie it wants to be because it tries to be serious and have a bit of humor thrown in as well.
But, isn't that the case with all Bond films?
Just because the Q scene has a few jokes about "Bagpipes" and "paying the piper" and "pipe down, 007" doesn't deter from the fim's serious nature whatsoever IMO. FYEO has a silly pretitles sequence which played out largely just for laughs and nobody proclaims that the humorous nature of that scene makes the entire film schizophrenic and not know what it sets out to be.

Just my thoughts

#163 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:44 AM

By "not sure what it wants to be" I meant the placement of obligatory action sequences. The plot takes a little break at the Cavier Factory. I do enjoy the film, and I don't "hate" any Bonds. :) I think that word is used a bit too freely. It's certainly better than a few other Bond films.

But the humour doesn't bother me at all- Bond should always have some kind of sence of humour. I've also nothing against Denise Richards. Half the Bond actresses have been awful, so what's new. :)

And about FYEO, which I like plenty. Evrytime I watch it and hear Melina's line "Greek women, like Electra, always avenge their loved ones." I keep thinking that's where they got their inspiration. :)

But the Q scene is wonderful to me. The whole first 30 minutes until he meets Elektra is great. Then it sputters around and has no strong conflict IMHO.

Anyway, I'm just tired of "it's personal" plots. 4 out of the last 5 films have it, and TND went half way. One more like this, and I'll go on my own "Licence To Kill / it's personal" spree on EON. :)

Bond is a darned professional. Okay, OHMSS was a great one of in taht direction, and GE handled it well. But really, I don't like it THAT much.

Also, no more "surprise" villians. That doesn't help rewatchability, and it's my persoanl belief that plot twists are often used to make a story sound better than it really is.

That's my rant. Here's to the next villain having no connection to 007! :)

#164 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for clarifying on what you meant on TWINE.

Oh, and by the way, I whole heartedly agree with you. Denise Richards is just fine as Dr. Christmss Jones. She hardly has any dialogue to begin with and even when she IS on camera and does speak her lines who is really even paying attention to what she says? Better well face it, she is nothing more than glorified eye candy and she makes for damn good eye candy at that. In fact, I think she said her scientific lines no better or worse than Tanya Robert's did in AVTAK (another stunning beaty who gets unfairly chastised).

However, what I largely do HATE in TWINE is the scene where Bond is about to go into Electra's oil pipelines (which are about to explode) and he has to ask Dr. Jones what he needs to defuse a nuclear bomb. No line of dialogue in ANY Bond film makes me soo angry. We have seen Bond defuse bombs how many times on his own without ANY help? And now SUDDENLY, in this film, he is clueless and needs this bimbo's help. I have a copy of the TWINE script (not sure which draft) and in it, Christmas just comes along for the ride, but nowhere is the line found where Bond has to ask her for help! Granted, maybe the line was included to give Christmas more reason to be in the film and this would be ok IF it wasn't for the fact that we have seen Bond defuse bombs on his own again and again and again. Anyone else get angry over that line? To me, its a slap in the face to any long time fan who has seen Bond disarm bombs on his own (Goldfinger, Octopussy, TSWLM etc).

Man, again, no line in any other Bond film makes me shake my fists soo fast or get as red in the face as i do when i hear that one (well, maybe expect for Jinx's "yo mamma" line ::shudders)

#165 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:31 PM

I don't see the problem with 'Yo mama'. Heck, atleast Bond didn't say it. :)

In dunno, maybe he's getting senile in TWINE.

But he didn't actually defuse the Bomb in GF. :)

#166 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:47 PM

GoldenEye is by far the best Pierce Brosnan Bond movie ever:

Posted Image

#167 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:39 PM

As my ranks of his films change frequently, I will just give you a quick update as to where they stand with comments.

GoldenEye: A Bond film for a generation. Brosnan gives the best debut of any actor which is followed by what is possibly the series best cast, everyone looks convincing in their roles and could concieveably rolled up into this kind of adventure. All the traiditonal Bond hallmarks are in fine form, and the story adds nice touches to both the Bond character, and his world; a staple of the Brosnan era.

Tomorrow Never Dies: The weakest of the Brosnan entries, but one of the best series films in the end. The plot I found to be very topical in recent viewings ie: the handing of Hong Kong over to China rather Great Britian, the expansion and power of global media moguls, and the technological revolution. The script also throws in scenens where we see the killer instinct of Bond, and his driving passions. The dialouge is once again great, and the pre titles scene eaisly ranks as the best of the series. The film looses a bit in its lackluster villians, and Bonds terminator mode in the finale, but its strengths far outweigh its weaknesses.

The World Is Not Enough This is usually the film that competes with GoldenEye for the top spot most often. This is usually because the film is, well perfect. The plot and screenplay are flawless, collaborating the great dialouge and character interaction of Bruce Fierstein with the knowldge of the "Fleming Sweep" so obviously seen in Neil Purvis and Robert Wade. The cast is brilliant, and I think Denise Richards while not convincing provides the natural eye candy and playfullness element to a film that has several devolped and involved female roles. I dont see her embarassing herself with her dialouge, although its clear shes obviously not a necular scientist. But then again, how many pilots are named Pussy Galore? Everything works so well in this film, and its Brosnans best performance of his carrear IMO. Perhaps what keeps GE neck and neck with it is it was the first Bond film I ever saw?

Die Another Day: A true leviathon of a Bond film, encompassing and appropriately prasing all elements of the James Bond unvierse over the past 40 years. The biggest plus of its film is its basically a modern, and long awaited accurate rendition of the Moonraker novel. Many of the scnes are inspired and extremely memroable, making it for me one of the most re watchable films of the series. Brosnan is once again brilliant, as is a truly A list cast that do a great job with all their roles. The Bond/Graves swordfight is the best fight in the series. Period. Some of its dialouge could use a polish, but the inspirtational performances, re watchable scenes, and numerous iconic moments from both Fleming and the past 40 years bring us a film that sets forth the next generation of James Bond. Well done!

#168 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:22 PM

My rank of his Bond movies:
#1 - Goldeneye
#2 - Die Another Day
#3 - Tomorrow Never dies
#4 - The World is Not Enough

Posted Image
:)

#169 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

The World Is Not Enough This is usually the film that competes with GoldenEye for the top spot most often. The plot and screenplay are flawless,

The script is flawless? Man, us fans should be so lucky. I only wish TWINE's script was half as good as you make it out to be. I like the film, but the script is widely recognized as an incomprehensible mess.

#170 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 03:24 AM

The World Is Not Enough This is usually the film that competes with GoldenEye for the top spot most often. The plot and screenplay are flawless,

The script is flawless? Man, us fans should be so lucky. I only wish TWINE's script was half as good as you make it out to be. I like the film, but the script is widely recognized as an incomprehensible mess.

By who and where?

The plot of TWINE has something not many Bond films can add to their list of accomplishments, SUBTEXT. The characters are interealted, while having their own indiviual stories, and ambitions, whilst staying exotic and unique in true Bond fashion. The plot is easy to follow, but the twist and turns are equally enjoyable, making you pay attention to every glance of the cast, every line of dialouge, and every possible hint of suspicion. TWINE comes through with this marvoulsy. IMO.

#171 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:01 PM

Anybody who claims to understand the plot of TWINE and that it is such a well-written, easy-to-follow movie, obviously hasn't watched it enough or really paid enough attention to it, to realize the plot is a convoluted piece of junk.

Yes, it all become quite easy to follow midway through. But the exposition in the beggining is the pits. I defy anyone to make sense of it. The whole King/stolen reports/ kidnap money/dead mi6 agent is the shambles. As Brosnan said in Entertainment Weekly about DAD "this time we actually have a plot that can be followed" (not an exact quote, but damn close)

For further discussion (or to see the reasons *WHY* you are wrong and the script is crud) please feel free to contribute to my thread already in progress titled: "TWINE? Nah, more like WTF?".

Edited by Roger_Moore's_Bad_Facelift, 10 February 2004 - 05:03 PM.

#172 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:34 PM

Anybody who claims to understand the plot of TWINE and that it is such a well-written, easy-to-follow movie, obviously hasn't watched it enough or really paid enough attention to it, to realize the plot is a convoluted piece of junk.

Yes, it all become quite easy to follow midway through. But the exposition in the beggining is the pits. I defy anyone to make sense of it. The whole King/stolen reports/ kidnap money/dead mi6 agent is the shambles. As Brosnan said in Entertainment Weekly about DAD "this time we actually have a plot that can be followed" (not an exact quote, but damn close)

For further discussion (or to see the reasons *WHY* you are wrong and the script is crud) please feel free to contribute to my thread already in progress titled: "TWINE? Nah, more like WTF?".

Well I dont find it too respectful to imply that Im simply flat out wrong, seeing as that it really all comes down to opinion in the end. That being said, Ive watched TWINE a record number of times, and when I do, I find more nuances in the plot that make me enjoy it more each time.

#173 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:45 PM

Umm, where is the harm in saying you are flat wrong? Of course it is just my opinion. Largely everything stated on a fan message board IS opinion. I don't think I need to make that clear before stating how I feel. Nor do I feel i have to start every sentence with "IMO". I think that's just a given.

My feelings on the movie still stand; the beggining of TWINE is a mess. Incomprehensible exposition, messy and needlessly convoluted it sours the rest of the film.

#174 Chaotician

Chaotician

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

GoldenEye is easily the greatest IMHO. By far Brosnan's best film, and my fave 007 flick of all time. The action, the story, the women, the villains, the locations, all top-notch! TND was pretty dire (the finale was more like Die Hard), TWINE is pretty good, but DAD was overblown MTV nonsense.

Edited by Chaotician, 14 February 2004 - 12:58 AM.

#175 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

TWINE:
Lack of screen time for Renard-potentially one of the best villians that could of been.
Wasted screen time on M, wasn't neccessary.
Christmas Jones should of been a smaller role, more time should of been given TO Renard-Bond-Electra scenes. Bond just having one women-Electra and not Christmas Jones makes all the difference, the story doesn't get busy, concentrate on the strong points, Electra was a great role, and Bond's scenes with her were better then anything with Jones.

The ending on the submerine was so disappointing, they could of worked out a way to make it as exciting as the pre-title sequence.

TWINE still a decent Bond film, but could of been awsome, just with more care to script and character choices and development ideas.

#176 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

I have to say I love TWINE. I love all the Brosnan films, but TWINE is my favourite. The pre-credit sequence is the best I have ever seen, the plot I think is well dealt with and set in reality, the villain of Renard may be slightly far fetched, but he is wonderfully done, and Brosnan's performance is one of his best as Bond. I would follow this with TND, GoldenEye and then DAD. I enjoyed DAD immensley, but I don't think they need to compete with the Mission:Impossible films and xXx as there is nothing to compete against. They are good enough films in their own right, but Bond will always pave the way in action-adventure cinema. There is no need for the almost obsessive use of fast cuts, slow motion and CGI with the latter attrociously bad, but overall the film was great fun nevertheless and it was great to see the Aston Martin back.

Overall, though, TWINE is the best for me.

Edited by 00Nothing, 18 March 2004 - 08:42 PM.

#177 urhash

urhash

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

I voted for TWINE as my favorite.

I cordon off DAD and TND into a separate category... two Bond films that have REALLY great first halfs but degrade into mindless cartoon crap for the remainder of the film.

Like most others, I have no qualms with DAD up until Iceland. After that it seems like a pointless exercise in action sequences. What exactly was the point of Bond fleeing, para-surfing back, then running away again in the Aston Martin? I suppose you could explain it away within the confines of the story but it just seemed like an endlessly long chase and I got bored by this the FIRST time I saw it.

Goldeneye just seems to look a bit too dated for my taste. The cinemetography looks dull and dim, the music is dreary and I gotta say, Natalya wasn't that hot. Still, I like that it has a solid story and it was a good reintroduction of Bond.

TWINE is my favorite because I love just about everything in it, except Denise Richards and the unusual complexity of the script. The first one starts to get less annoying with time, the latter is rectified with repeated viewings (though it doesn't explain some of the plot holes). I like how it's exotic in it's own way... visiting Bilbao, Kazakstan, Baku, etc. The Bondian moments are great, particularly the opening sequence. There's also little moments like Elektra asking "Have you ever lost a loved one, Mister Bond?" and Bond just shifts uncomfortably and dodges the question.

#178 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 03:16 AM

I will certainly vote for TND, which is one of the most inventive and creative movies in the action film genre. It is disgustingly underated by fans, and the other three Brosnans are not as well written and acted. GoldenEye has interesting characters and their chemistry is nice, but the movie suffers with a confusing plot in which the screenwriter and other filmakers are not sure how to define the GoldenEye satallite. Does it destroy economies? Does it hurt the technologies of foreign nations so they can't retaliate in a war? Does it erase all evidence of crimes commited by Janus? I'm sure it does each of these things but the film doesn't make that clear, and in order to explain it there is overly clever and cute dialogue which doesn't make Alec Trevelyn's scheme understandable. He's probably trying to steal money from the major powers, destroy their arms and technologies, and become rich and powerful simultaneously. But the picture just doesn't find a simple way of explaining it. Also, GoldenEye takes too long to start and the Severny section is borish even when it's clear that Janus wants to destroy the weapons control center just to take control of the Russian space program; plus most of the action scenes are uninteresting. The World Is Not Enough is quite bleak and depressing looking with dull action scenes done by a director who obviously is better at drama and character development. Die Another Day starts out great in North Korea and Havana, but quickly loses interest by the time Bond reaches London and gets worse as the picture proceeds. Like the GoldenEye satallite, it is also not clear what Icarus Does. "Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed;" well what the hell does Japan have anything to do with this picture? Is Graves using the satallite to invade his enemies? Does he want to take control of the world? Is he just having fun with his laser shooting weapon? What does Graves really want to achieve with this thing? The movie just doesn't make that clear. Also, things that were intended to be fun and clever like the sword fight, the invisible vanquish, and the Ice Palace are not terribly interesting.

So this takes me to TND, and why it's Brosnan's best and one of the best Bond films ever.

1. The War between the sexes: Works well this time around with Bond and Wai Lin's chemistry and relationship being affective even during the action scenes. They have much fun pitting these characters up against each other.

2. Plot and Villian Scheme: Carver's scheme is the most creative, fun, and inventive of the action film genre since the Nazi's in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I won't explain what it's about since most on the board should already know, but it's made clear by a good screenplay. I also love the films criticism of the media and its barons like Ted Turner and Rupert Murdoch.

3. Gadgets: Certainly more fun than DAD's devices, with a great BMW which is memorable unlike the invisible vanquish. I rather enjoy the stealth ship.

4. Brosnan: One of the greatest Bond performances, and definitely Pierce's strongest, most energetic and fun. He seems rather tired and worn out in TWINE and DAD.

5. Elliot Carver: Meets the requirement of a good megolomaniac which is someone who is nerdy, can't completely defend themselves physically against Bond, is utterly loony, and has an ambitious plot to harm the world despite his geeky weaknesses; and there is an enthusiastic performance by Jonathan Price.

6. Paris: The film has well written and interesting scenes between Bond and Paris Carver, which are nicely dramatic and not too much like TWINE's soap opera moments. Nicely shows Bond's love vulnerabilities including his inability to commit to anyone based on his job which is "murder on relationships," and this explains why he could not raise a family with Tracy or anyone else.

7. Other things: Henchmen are good even if Mr. Stamper isn't among the series best, and despite the odd appearence by Jack Wade it doesn't do any damage.

#179 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 03:19 AM

So this takes me to TND, and why it's Brosnan's best and one of the best Bond films ever.

1. The War between the sexes: Works well this time around with Bond and Wai Lin's chemistry and relationship being affective even during the action scenes. They have much fun pitting these characters up against each other.

2. Plot and Villian Scheme: Carver's scheme is the most creative, fun, and inventive of the action film genre since the Nazi's in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I won't explain what it's about since most on the board should already know, but it's made clear by a good screenplay. I also love the films criticism of the media and its barons like Ted Turner and Rupert Murdoch.

3. Gadgets: Certainly more fun than DAD's devices, with a great BMW which is memorable unlike the invisible vanquish. I rather enjoy the stealth ship.

4. Brosnan: One of the greatest Bond performances, and definitely Pierce's strongest, most energetic and fun. He seems rather tired and worn out in TWINE and DAD.

5. Elliot Carver: Meets the requirement of a good megolomaniac which is someone who is nerdy, can't completely defend themselves physically against Bond, is utterly loony, and has an ambitious plot to harm the world despite his geeky weaknesses; and there is an enthusiastic performance by Jonathan Price.

6. Paris: The film has well written and interesting scenes between Bond and Paris Carver, which are nicely dramatic and not too much like TWINE's soap opera moments. Nicely shows Bond's love vulnerabilities including his inability to commit to anyone based on his job which is "murder on relationships," and this explains why he could not raise a family with Tracy or anyone else.

7. Other things: Henchmen are good even if Mr. Stamper isn't among the series best, and despite the odd appearence by Jack Wade it doesn't do any damage.

Rock on BondNumber7! :) Glad to see another huge fan of this fantastic film!

#180 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:55 PM

I picked TND as well. It used the tried and true Bond formula that I go to the movies for. Dashing secret agent/gorgeous women/diabolical OTT villain/inspired fiendish plot/action/gadgets/creative villains lair. Plus the score was spot on. The only detractor was Stamper. I just couldn't warm up to him like Oddjob, Jaws, Xenia Onatopp. The chemistry between Brosnan and Yeoh was great. (PS anyone notice that when Wai Lin was walking down the wall at Carver's Hamburg newspaper she was wearing a brownish/leather jumpsuit not unlike Jinx's in DAD) Carver, though, I wasn't impressed with his name, I thought the original Harmsway was best, had the juiciest lines, my favorite being "Welcome to my world crisis, Mister Bond." All in all a fun time for the whole family.