This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:55 PM

I went for DAD simply because for me, it has everything a great 007 adventure should have: A great Bond, superb action and music, great villains and incredibly sexy women. For me, it is the perfect blend.

#122 Ed King

Ed King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Genrewriter
I went for DAD simply because for me, it has everything a great 007 adventure should have:  A great Bond, superb action and music, great villains and incredibly sexy women.  For me, it is the perfect blend.

Are you sure you're talking about DAD? It sounds sooo Goldeneye...

Well, IMHO the best Brosnan movie is TWINE. Goldeneye is a close second... it's a well-rounded movie.

#123 Jazzy Bond

Jazzy Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:03 PM

No, I believe he is talking about DAD! Why? I wouldn't call the soundtrack of GE, Great! DAD's soundtrack is phenomenal. That is one of the reasons I put it ahead of GE. Only slightly though. Both films get the blend right they just do it in different ways which is great and allows the series to not go flat. One of the reasons i think DAD does get some criticism inthese forums every now and then is, IMO people were not ready for the scope and scale of DAD after the great but drab looking TWINE. It is a big leap forward from the previous movies and when there is change some people are going to go with the flow others are going to be left behind. Just consider if you were Babs Broccolli or Mickey G. and you had to keep this series alive and kicking 40 years into it, you have movies like Matrix and Star Wars, LOTR out there do you come back with a TWINE type at this time? No! You give the fans something they are not expecting, not the same old Bond flick but something fresh but not to betray the formula, hell give them the formula and then some! Cars? How about the villain has his own private stash of sports cars. Girls? How about an Oscar winning actress who is annually listed as one of the most beautiful women in the world, not to mention little ice princess, Miranda Frost! Gadgets? Look to the above mentioned cars for reference along with new stuff like a supersonic ring and watch, hell let's make the car have adaptive camaflauge to make it look invisible. Villains? Let's give the audience 3-4 baddies to hate and give one of them a distinguishing trait ala Jaws, give him diamonds embedded in his face!! Do you see what I'm etting at here DAD took the formula and ramped it up (didn't mention the classic Moneypenney scene) and brought Bond into the 21st century where he can compete with the vast competition out there. And you know what? It did compete, probably making more money than any movie in MGM history!! Not bad!!! DAD and GE are close, I love GE, first Bond movie I saw in the theaters and resurrected the series. DAD has rejuventated it again for the new millenium. Make mine DAD!!!

#124 Ed King

Ed King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:06 PM

Jazzy Bond, you have some good points, but I still don't like DAD. I think that Natalya, Xenia, Wai Lin and Elektra are fair more interesting and were played much more skillfully than Jinx. Rosamund Pike is perfec as Miranda Frost, but, unfortunately, it's a dull character. DAD has a good villain and a good henchmen, but I don't think Gustav gets any close to Trevelyan or Elektra as a character. I think the plot is confusing, and it seems like putting homages in it was more important than having a solid plot.

Please, forgive my crappy English...

#125 Desslar

Desslar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 07:41 AM

This is a tough one, since all the Brosnan films are fairly good. I guess I have to go with TWINE. The villain and the doublecross were interesting and different, and Christmas was, well, plenty of cause to be jolly.

Goldeneye felt a little formulaic and TND had a weak villain. DAD would be the best if they dumped (or minimized) Jinx, the powersuit and the terrible double entendres.

#126 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

1. Dad.
2. Goldeneye.
3. WINE.

Sorry, I can't rate TND.

#127 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:37 PM

Goldeneye had a strong villian, good bond women, brisk action, intriguing drama and good deceit plot, TND had a usuable plot, acceptable locations, and a brilliant villian, the action was deciet, and I didn't know where the ending was suppose the go, TWINE had both good vilians (Renard and Elecktra), not a classic James Bond plot, terrible Bond Girl (Christmas Jones) and boring segments of the movie. DAD had a screwy plot, terrible villians except Zao, first half was okay, then the second half was messed up, poor acting of the Bond girls, i liked the action, i would of liked it more if it weren't for its screwy plot, the ice palace was the worst, then Antonov. So if the James Bond movies were to follow the trends, you know whats goin happen. So i am gonna save my fingers energy for you to think about it.

#128 Paris

Paris

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:26 PM

The imho exaggerated CGI effects aside, PB's performance in DAD was great. I enjoy it more with each time I watch it. It's his best so far.

#129 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 08:37 PM

I get so happy when DAD is in first place. :)

#130 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:35 PM

i think goldeneye was his best, i hope we can send him out on another golden eye

#131 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:16 AM

I would probably have to go with GoldenEye, simply because it has good Bond girls and villains. Xenia Onatopp is one of the best femme fatales ever. Although i really like Tomorrow Never Dies becuase it has one of my personal favorite villains, Elliot Carver. I think he gets some witty lines and the soundtrack for TND is ravishing. David Arnold pulls out all the stops!

#132 Domino

Domino

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:25 AM

Goldeneye is by far the best Brosnan bond film. It has a dark realistic atmosphere, the characters were very developed, it had a comic relief (boris) and some memorable characters... as well as the greatest bond villain of all time : Alec Trevelyan!

#133 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:26 AM

It's a war between GoldenEye and The World is Not Enough which are really the first amongst equals. Where would we be without Xenia Onatopp? Or that boat chase? But then again I'd hate to not have Wai Lin.

It's weird with DAD I can't really think of anything to go in that category. The capture could have been a significant event if it wasn't totally forgotten. The finale is the best since GoldenEye perhaps? It's probably the Moneypenny scene really for the 'oh my god' quality it gave me. But none of these are elements which really have contributed something to the series. The only thing is the title song - but thats all credit to Madonna's genius.

So the best...hmm...The World is Not Enough. Yes, sticking to that.

#134 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:29 AM

Actually thats a bit harsh. The invisible car (especially its introduction) was truly, incredibly awesome. I'm so glad to have that.

#135 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:44 PM

For me his best is; D I E A N O T H E R D A Y - just beating;
G O L D E N E Y E - for one reason only - I C E L A N D - which I believe is probably the most interesting/stimulating/unusual hour in the whole Bond series.

#136 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:10 PM

Here is my rank for Brosnan's Bond films.

1. GoldenEye
2. The World Is Not Enough
3. Die Another Day
4. Tomorrow Never Dies

GoldenEye brought James Bond into the 90's in great style and stayed true to the formula.

#137 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:55 PM

1. Goldeneye
2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. The World is Not Enough
4. Die Another Day

Exactly in the order they appeared.

#138 Genesis

Genesis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:47 PM

Tomorrow Never Dies is Brosnan's best and second would be DAD, TND is mucher darker than GE and it is also very direct, it doesn't drip-feed at all which I find GE and TWINE both do.

Brosnan in my opinion hasn't made a bad Bond film.

#139 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 01:57 AM

1. GE
2. TWINE
3. TND
4. DAD

I would never own DAD on DVD because I would never watch it. The same goes for the other two. GE is Brosnan's only entry that I watch frequently (or have the desire to watch frequently). The others have no soul, in my opinion, and are just more mindless 90's action flicks.

There was something about GE that made it stand out and stick with me.

#140 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Pussfeller
1. GE
2. TWINE
3. TND
4. DAD

I would never own DAD on DVD because I would never watch it. The same goes for the other two. GE is Brosnan's only entry that I watch frequently (or have the desire to watch frequently). The others have no soul, in my opinion, and are just more mindless 90's action flicks.
There was something about GE that made it stand out and stick with me.

While I can say good things about TND and TWINE, I generally agree with you. GE is the only Brosnan film that I really want to spend money on. The others I just rent or borrow if I want to re-watch.

#141 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 06:16 PM

I have somewhat reevaluated the Brosnan series, having just acquired TND and TWINE on DVD. My list now stands at:

GE
TND
DAD
TWINE

My opinion of TND is improved, though I dislike a few aspects of the film in particular (such as the motorcycle scene, Stamper, the way it comes apart in the last twenty minutes, etc.). I watched DAD on pay-per-view and, because the first three quarters are satisfactory, I have bumped it up to third place. TWINE, unfortunately, has gone down two rankings. It is just too anti-Bondian, too difuse, too much like something on the Lifetime channel. Plus, it has Denise "blow-up doll" Richards, with the acting ability of a severed head. I agree that she's attractive, Bondfinesse, but she's the cinematic equivalent of a bowel obstruction.

Of course, Goldeneye remains numero uno--no chance of that moving down, although I hope that Eon proves me wrong with the next (and probably last) Brosnan film. Let's just hope he goes out on a high note.

#142 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:47 PM

GE
TWINE
DAD
TND

#143 panterauno

panterauno

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:38 AM

I believe the Goldeneye is the best and the second DAD, but i really like Brosnan like Bond and i think is the second best Bond behind Connery. Well is my opinion.

#144 007Travis

007Travis

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 02:52 AM

I think that Goldeneye is definately the best.... Then...
DAD
TND
TWINE

#145 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:23 AM

Hi Zen,

My favourite Pierce Bond Film is TND's.

I like this mainly because David Arnold produced some good stuff, also it was fairly fast moving.

All the best Matey,

Cheers,

Ian

#146 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:31 PM

1. TWINE
Brosnan still hasn't had his defining film, but I thought TWINE was entertaining, even if I didn't buy into the whole Bond/Elektra thing (and Renard and Christmas were fairly weak). Bond getting personal in Bilboa was good enough for me- didn't need to see him going through the motions for Ms. King.

2. GE
Great movie, but Brosnan was still too green to be fully convincing as Bond.

3. DAD
If the entire movie had continued the tone set up in the film's first half, this might have been his best. Unfortunately, the film was Jinxed.

4. TND
A good second outing, but nothing more. Did anyone really believe that Paris was someone Bond could still care about (or that he EVER could have, for that matter!)?

#147 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:35 AM

Originally posted by TheBritishEnd
4.  TND
A good second outing, but nothing more.  Did anyone really believe that Paris was someone Bond could still care about (or that he EVER could have, for that matter!)?

I did.

#148 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:52 AM

I very much agree with DanMan. Paris is one of my favorite characters in that movie. I think she had some great chemistry with Brosnan.

#149 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 04:39 PM

Sorry, I just didn't see any reason why 007 would still hold a flame for the character. Kudos to Brosnan for wanting to add something extra to the script, though, and I did enjoy his farewell scene with her. (Of course, it might also have something to do with the fact that I just didn't care for Teri Hatcher in the role.)

#150 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:11 PM

I voted DAD. The action is just brilliant, and this film keeps me so actively engaged! The plot and villain's history is unique, and the villains themselves are awesome! Gustav Graves, Miranda Frost, and Zao are amongst the best villains in the 007 series in my opinion. Also, I loved the Ice Palace! :)

Goldeneye comes second.