This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

GE for rebooting the franchise and TWINE for its unusual character dyanmics.

I agree.

#542 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

GE for rebooting the franchise and TWINE for its unusual character dyanmics.

I agree.

Me too.

#543 Dr. Metz

Dr. Metz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

1. Goldeneye(8/10)
2. Tomorrow Never Dies(6/10)
3. The World Is Not Enough (5/10)
4. Die Another Day (5/10)

Edited by Dr. Metz, 18 April 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#544 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

The World is not Enough

Goldeneye

Die Another Day

Tomorrow Never Dies

I watched Goldeneye this past week, and really enjoyed it.
The ere really manages to bring the humour and the action together.

#545 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

The World Is Not Enough - 8/10
Goldeneye - 8/10
Tomorrow Never Dies - 6/10
Die Another Day - 3.5/10

#546 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

1) The 1st 2/3 of Die Another Day
2) The 1st 1/2 of Tomorrow Never Dies
3) The 1st 1/4 of GoldenEye
4) The 2nd 1/2 of Tomorrow Never Dies
5) The final 3/4 of GoldenEye
6) The final 1/3 of Die Another Day
7) All of The World is not Enough

If GoldenEye had been scored by John Barry and starred Dalton as Bond, it would probably have been the first of my choices here. Then again, it wouldn't have been in the Brosnan section.

#547 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

If GoldenEye had been scored by John Barry and starred Dalton as Bond, it would probably have been the first of my choices here. Then again, it wouldn't have been in the Brosnan section.

I agree with this. In fact it might even be in my top 7 Bond films.

#548 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

The World Is Not Enough - 8/10
Goldeneye - 8/10
Tomorrow Never Dies - 6/10
Die Another Day - 3.5/10

I made some sort of teaser trailer for my favorite Brosnan film: The World Is Not Enough:

#549 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Nice work!

But I'm sick of hearing that Bond theme rendition. B)

#550 Time Agent

Time Agent

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

I love all four of his Bond films, but GoldenEye definitely ranks as my favorite. With an awesome game to boot!

#551 Lucky

Lucky

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

GoldenEye is my favorite. It was the first one I saw in theaters and made me love Bond.

1. GoldenEye
2. The World Is Not Enough
3. Tomorrow Never Dies
4. Die Another Day

#552 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

Always a toss up between GE and TND, but in the end settled for GE. A fantastic film through and through, great action, great script and Pierce settling into the role with ease for his first time. TND comes very close, first one I saw on the big screen and that's something I'll never forget.

#553 ConnerysToupee1983

ConnerysToupee1983

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

1. Goldeneye, hands down. In fact it's my second favorite Bond film overall. I think it's wonderfully shot, exceptionally acted, dark and twisty, while still balancing humor and sexiness.

2. TWINE- Despite some BAD, languid editing, I think it had a great plot. Replace Denise Richards and trim a bunch of fat and you have one of the best Bond films and most unique Villains.

3. TND- I enjoy the movie. But really have no strong feelings or inclinations for it. To me it's kind of just an action movie, made because it had to be made, so to speak.

4. DAD- The only Bond film I actively despise (QOS comes CLOSE.) BUT, that being said, I saw it twice in the theater and watch it as much as I do the others. A bad (HORRIBLE in it's case) Bond film is still better than almost anything else.

I think Pierce was a great Bond, he just got strapped with some bad writers and mediocre moments.

#554 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

I voted for GE, but after seeing TWINE a few times over the past couple of days, I've grown to love it again and it's now my favorite Broz film.

#555 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

My take on Brosnan's run.

GE: Yes, it revitalized the franchise and defined Bond for a generation, but I thought it was rather shopworn, tired and predictible. They played it very safe with this one and it shows. But that might not have been necessarily a thing in long run. Still, I give it a 6/10

TND: Still very, very formulaic and sometimes Roger Moore silly, but FUN, FUN, FUN! Very tight and exciting with good action setpieces and a kickass Bond girl. Jonathon Pryce puts a nice twist on the stock megalomaniacal Bond villain. 8/10

TWINE. Yes it is a bit overlong and has the most ludicrous Bond girl since TMWGG Mary Goodnight. But I give it credit for trying to shake up the formula with the character dynamics and one of the most unique villains in the entire film franchise. 8/10

DAD. It's worse than a simple bad movie. It was one that could have been GREAT. The 45 minutes or so set up something that could have been very special and then it sunk into a morass of over the top setpieces, silly cameos and predicitble, lazy writing. Blah. disappointing as all hell. 4/10.

#556 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

Goldeneye was my favorite from 20 to 33. Then, I can't explain why precisely (maturity perhaps ?) now it's TWINE. The "half Hitchcock half Shakespeare" ;) mood maybe and the fact Brosnan acting less "by numbers" in this film...I love the attitude of Brosnan after Davidov's death ("He's burried with work.")Very Bondian, vey leathal.
My biggest problem is still "The Turkey"...

Edited by The sniper was a woman, 12 November 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#557 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Her I go making myself unpopular again...

Die Another Day is my favorite BrosBond film. I didn't think it would be, with that Madonna song and James shlepping around tattered and unshaven for so long, but once it got going even Lee Tamahori's ramping zooms and other camera tricks couldn't put me off. I liked the not-so-subtle references to the earlier films; as a trivia buff I rose to the challenge of spotting them all. And I've always wanted to see Bond square off against another supercar. The Iceland locations worked fine for me. Ever since seeing Diamonds Are Forever in 1971, this has been the kind of 007 film I like best, and it's my favorite Christmas release since TMWTGG (taste is a personal thing).

Tomorrow Never Dies comes in second, mainly for Roger Spottiswood successfully creating a film with a plot that is actually driven forward by its action scenes (courtesy of Vic Armstrong). I was happy to park my brains under my seat for those two hours and go along for the ride. The only part I couldn't buy was the idea of Teri Hatcher being the one who got "too close for comfort." She and Pierce appeared to have no chemistry at all (or perhaps I'm just projecting because her hoity-toity society-bitch character doesn't appeal to me at all - maybe Paris was more ingenuous when Bond knew her before, or perhaps he was willing to say anything just to keep her talking).

GoldenEye only lost its higher ranking as the above entries came out and eclipsed it in my esteem. Because of the new crew of writers and director, at times it seemed as if they were working on another film and thinking "what would James Bond say in a situation like this? Then that's we'll have our guy say!" Although Martin Campbell was the right director for the job (as he was for CR), I found Eric Serra's music score depressing, like a combination of Depeche Mode, Devo and the Gregorian Monks. As far as story and action goes, though, it was a welcome return, and I was (and still am) glad that Pierce Brosnan got the job.

The World is Not Enough often didn't seem to me like a Bond movie. Michael Apted's emphasis on character made an interesting departure, but unlike TND, it seemed the narrative came to an abrupt halt when it was time for an action sequence (again so capably directed by Vic Armstrong - when will get a chance to helm an entire film?), then start up again when it was over. Was it a 007 movie slowed down with too much interesting plot and character study, or a compelling character-driven drama interrupted with gratuitious action scenes? And lay off Denise Richards - I'd buy her as a nuclear physicist over Tanya Roberts as a geologist any day.

Well, that's my story. I think DAD made a fitting conclusion to the old series, just as Octopussy would have done for Sir Roger's era. We'll never know what Broz's #5 would have been like so I can't be bothered to speculate.

Hmmm...All this reflection has me wanting to watch DAD again. I think I'll do that tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

Edited by AMC Hornet, 12 November 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#558 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

I think DAD made a fitting conclusion to the old series, just as Octopussy would have done for Sir Roger's era.

I'm absolutely agree with that.

#559 Bond_Assassin90

Bond_Assassin90

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

Goldeneye gets my vote....

1. Goldeneye
2. Tomorrow Never Dies (not by much)
3. The World is Not Enough
4. Die Another Day

#560 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

I went for DAD, I love the locations :)

#561 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Goldeneye. The BMW Z3, Xenia, Zukovski and the score of Serra.

#562 Doctor Whom

Doctor Whom

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Okay, maybe it's not the most creative poll, but I love making these polls and it will be interesting to see percentages here. So everyone vote!

Despite the crummy score and a few dodgy visual effects, I have to say GoldenEye by quite a bit over the rest.

#563 rexburch

rexburch

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

Sorry but it's DAD as his best ever !

#564 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

GoldenEye is my favorite Brosnan Bond film, but I am tempted to say Die Another Day based solely on Zencat's epic review of his opening viewing with 003 and company. Now someone revive that wonderful thread so we can all enjoy it with the Christmas spirit! :)

#565 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

I voted for GoldenEye.

1. GoldenEye: It has the most down to earth plot of his 4 films and I preferred his look in this one w/ the Remmington Steele hair. 006 was a good choice for a villan, Xenia Onatopp is one of the more interesting villans in the series, and it has great action scenes. I think the "final battle/ending" is unique and I might be in the minority, but I like the musical score. Plus, it has the best gunbarrel sequence in the entire series IMO.

2. Tomorrow Never Dies: Lots of great vehicle chases and action scenes in this one. I very much enjoyed the plot, especially the ending. Great musical score, but pretty traditional, nothing unique about it like GoldenEye. I don't like Terri Hatcher though. I don't think she added much to the film and honestly I don't think she's that great looking. Elliot Carver is a decent villan, I thought some of his lines or his sarcastic dialogue was comical in a good way. I think the title song is the best of the Brosnan Bonds.

3. The World is Not Enough: This one I found a little boring at times. I don't think Renard is all that great a villan, but Elektra was a great villan. The boat and Ski chases are very entertaining, but there's just too much dialogue or down time in the rest of the film. I thought the ending was okay, but not that great and I don't like the whole M being captured angle. I think M should stick to a few small scenes like Bernard Lee's M. Though, I had no problem with Denise Richards. She's very beautiful and I thought her acting was just fine. I enjoyed the title song as well, second of the Brosnan Bonds to TND's.

4. Die Another Day: First off, Madonna's title song is horrible, I always have to skip it. I think the pre-title sequence is absolutely excellent. Unfortunately, this movie goes down hill as soon as Jinx is introduced. I hate Jinx, dumb name and one of the worst characters in the enitre series. Halle Berry's acting in this movie just isn't believable (an NSA agent...give me a break). I just find the character extremely annoying and cringe every time she opens her mouth w/ lines like "Yo Momma." The car chase on the ice was very entertaining and is probably the highlight of the film for me. I didn't like all the fast/slow motion camera shots and there was just way, way too much CGI in this film, some of the scenes are very cringe-worthy. The laser fight sequence in the mine was horrid and so was the CGI surfing. The ending is just plain bad, some guy w/ electrical armor and Nintendo PowerGlove on.

#566 FreddyVoorhees007

FreddyVoorhees007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

Love all 4

1.The World is Not Enough
2.Die Another Day
3.GoldenEye
4.Tomarrow Never Dies

#567 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I had high hopes for Brozzer but he just didn't deliver. He lacks charisma.

#568 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

I would probably say "GOLDENEYE". Although "THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH" is a close second.

#569 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I would probably say "GOLDENEYE". Although "THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH" is a close second.

Yes I agree.

Brosnan's period is interesting because we could see that the three firsts movies have all their qualities and their defaults, and it's more or less all the same. And we could also say that the best moments of Broz's period are in the first hour of "Die another day"... and the worst moments of his period (and even of the whole saga for me) in the second hour of this film.

#570 Perry

Perry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

They're all a bit pants...