#1 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image
Here is my suggestion for the next James Bond. Not that he's immediately my first choice for the job, but I always like to throw new names into the discussion.

West fits the profile of a Bond actor perfectly. Born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, he looks and sounds the part. 6', brown hair, brown eyes. Began appearing in community theater by age 9. Has been acting on and off stage ever since. Starred alongside Sandra Bullock in '28 Days'. Also shared screentime with Mark Wahlberg in 'Rockstar'. Is making quite a name for himself in Hollywood. Plays a crucial role in the Award-winning musical 'Chicago' and stars alongside Julia Roberts in Mike Newells 'Mona Lisa Smile'. Further credits include 'Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace', 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', 'True Blue', 'Surviving Picasso' & 'Richard III'.

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 12:51 PM

He looks the part, although I've never seen him act (who was he in Episode 1?).

#3 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:18 PM

He's a great actor. I saw him on Broadway with Alan Cummings in a Noel Coward play. Very charismatic. He's also been quite good in the films of his that I've seen.

#4 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Double-0 Six
He looks the part, although I've never seen him act (who was he in Episode 1?).

If you go on imdb.com I think he's listed as "Naboo Guard no.2" or something.

He's actually pretty good on this HBO series "The Wire." He plays a disgraced Baltimore cop leading an investigation into a drug ring. I love to hear Brits speak w/American accents.

#5 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:52 PM

I don't know....he doesn't look as cold or menacing as Clive Owen.....

Not that Bond always has to be menacing, but I think with this Age of Terror, the Bond of this era should have more edge.

Funny, but if he were younger, you'd think Dalton's portrayal would be pretty bankable about now.....Which is why I'd probably still go with Clive Owen.

#6 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:51 AM

To be quite honest, I don't believe Owen would make a good Bond. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very charismatic actor. But I just don't think he looks the part. He doesn't strike me as the ladiesman Bond should be. Sure he can be dark and brooding, but he should also be attractive for women. He lacks sex appeal. He's not macho enough. His posture is all wrong. Look at this picture from Gosford Park. You really want this guy to play Bond?

#7 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:25 PM

Go to BMW FILMS and you will change you're mind.

Clive Owen plays the "Driver" in a series of short films featuring BMW cars. Check it out.

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 02:22 PM

love the BMW stuff, but I want Owen to make his own character on the big screen, I've liked his work since Croupier...

#9 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:46 PM

How about Samuel West?

#10 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:15 PM

You know what we did recently? We played an MP3 of Monty Norman and John Barry's Bond Theme from the Dr. No score with one of Clive's BMW films (my favorite, the one about his passenger swallowing 15 million in stolen diamonds), and we timed it so that the loud part comes in when the guy in the van starts shooting.

Boy, sure changes the way we watch BMW movies.....

Also, I've just seen a movie with Clive as a gardener in one of Her Majesty's Prisons.....He was really funny...Much to my surprise.

#11 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:05 PM

I'm familiar with Clive Owen's BMW shortfilms. But I still don't think he's right for Bond. He just doesn't look like a Bond actor to me. He looks great in a car with a leather jacket, but he just doesn't strike me as the ruthless killer Bond should be. Eventhough he played a gun for hire in The Bourne Identity, I just did not believe him. He's perfect as the professional with a heart he plays in the BMW films. But he's just too soft to play James Bond. He's not macho enough. Same with Samuel West. He's already losing hair. And Bond doesn't do rugs anymore.

Bond should be arrogant and macho. I think Dominic West has these qualities. Check out this picture of Dominic West. He looks perfect I think.

#12 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

Well Bond can't be too macho. We don't want him to start going into the mold of the Rambos and Terminators.

Bond should have strong personal qualities. He has to look clever and capable.

I hope EON posts downloads of the actors' screen tests so that we can vote for our next 007!

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
Well Bond can't be too macho.  We don't want him to start going into the mold of the Rambos and Terminators.
Bond should have strong personal qualities.  He has to look clever and capable
I hope EON posts downloads of the actors' screen tests so that we can vote for our next 007!

I thought that Brosnan Bond was like the Terminator. People especially in this post complain that he grabs the machine gun too much. I never heard of this guy. I hope that it does come down to this.

#14 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:40 PM

When I say macho I don't mean macho as in Rambo. It's an attitude that makes women want to be with him and men want to be like him. A kind of sex-appeal. Owen doesn't have that. And again, he doesn't look like Bond material. He's terrific in the BMW shortfilms and he's the kind of actor you would pay to see on a big screen (why he's not a big star yet I have no idea), but I still say he would be wrong for Bond. To be quite frank, I just don't think he's handsome enough to play Bond. This is highly subjective ofcourse, but it's my (and my girlfriends) opinion none the less. And all of the Bond actors were very goodlooking. Why do you think a guy like Connery is still named one of the sexiest men of the world? Time will tell whether or not West has this quality, but I do think he's looks more like a Bond actor to me than someone like Owen.

p.s. I doubt EON would ever show screentests to the public. Look at the controversy Sam Neill's screentest on The Living Daylights DVD caused (eventhough the test dates back 15 years). I trust EON's judgement. I'm sure the next Bond will be great, whoever he will be.

#15 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

Maybe they should be looking for the sleuth-like cunning guy with a killer instinct. But that would be going back to Sean Connery.

Yeah, I also remember thinking about why Brosnan's Bond kept using large weapons in Goldeneye. But after three films and a couple of the recent 007 games, it kind of grows on you.

But if one watches the original films......Bond was more the sneaky, cold type who only saves his social skills for women he likes, or people he has to kill. Funny that today, that similar qualities like that are assigned to other characters like Jason Bourne, and Mr. 47 (from HITMAN).

#16 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
...if one watches the original films......Bond was more the sneaky, cold type who only saves his social skills for women he likes...

Strange. I only agree that Dalton's Bond had this quality. Connery was the worst womanizer of them all. His Bond films are so deliciously politically incorrect. Just watch the way Connery treated his woman. (the slap on Bink's bottom comes to mind). Brosnan's performance has just the right balance between macho-ism and 21 century politically correctness.

West has the same playfull, almost boy-ish, quality Connery had (which is important because you have to believe the fact that Bond loves his job, something Dalton forgot to put into his performance). But West is also believeable as a cold assassin. This picture proves this. And he looks attractive enough to make the audience believe that many women would fall for him. He's charismatic and he looks and sounds just like Bond should. He's definately one of the better candidates for the role out there.

#17 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

From what i've seen in the pictures, Dominic West does have a cold, ruthless look about him(don't like his nose tho). Never seen him in any films but would like to see him do a screen test in future, perhaps when matures.
The thing i love about Clive Owen is his dark, moody looks. I'm a former member of the BMW Car Club GB and thought these BMW Films were superb - Owen's performance was spot on.
I'd like West and Owen to do a Bond screen test the same time(!)

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:23 PM

Is this the best that we can do ??? I never heard of this guy . Dominic West. Clive Owen yes. this dude no . please no not this.

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:30 PM

How about Robson Green . I love the TV show "Touching Evil". With some work he might make a good Bond.

#20 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:22 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Is this the best that we can do ???

Well, we can definately do better than Robson Green. Can't believe you dismiss West so quickly and instead name an actor like Green. Green is almost fourty, he's already losing hair rapidly, doesn't even have film experience and is 5'9.

West on the other hand is in his early thirties, (co-)starred in several Hollywood film alongside stars like Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Anthony Hopkins & Michelle Pfeifer, is 6'1 and looks like perfect Bond material.

As for Owen, well, read the above posts for my sentiments. Curious why you would prefer Owen and especially Green over West.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:08 PM

No!!! I did not dismiss West . I stated that i never heard of him. I ust throw Green's name out there like every else. I am of the opinion that Bond should end after Brosnan. Since the list of names given are ****.

#22 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:28 PM

Ehmm, saying that the list of actors, including West, is **** and dismissing West are the same thing n'est pas?

Maybe you should find out more about West or other British actors before losing faith in the Bond franchise. There is life after Brosnan you know.

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:34 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

Maybe you should find out more about West or other British actors before losing faith in the Bond franchise. There is life after Brosnan you know.

I am not happy with the "list " of names present as a replacement for Brosnan. Some of the other names post the "gentlemen" are either too old ( i use Liam Nesson as one ) or of the wrong sexual taste ( again I use Ruppert Everett, he does have the classical looks for a Bond , but alas he homosexual) . So then i suffer names like Matthew Perry , etc. Lost faith in the Bond Franchise . Perhaps yes!!!

#24 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:49 PM

Actors like Liam Neeson, Rupert Everett & Matthew Perry aren't even potential candidates for obvious reasons. How about Hugh Jackman, Dominic West, Edward Atterton, Jack Davenport, Jeremy Northam, James Purefoy, Clive Owen, Colin Wells, Linus Roache, Matt Day, Gray O'Brien, Gerard Butler, Nathaniel Parker & Ioan Gruffudd? Are you even familiar with half the people on this list? Maybe you should broaden your horizon just a little bit and add a couple of new names to your list. You can start with Jackman & West.

#25 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:53 PM

Jeremy Northam , Hugh Jackman, Clive Owen(?) , okay . I am sold . The others no!!! Look , let's face it . Finding a new Bond for Bond 22 or when ever. will be very difficult.

#26 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:58 PM

I'm curious what you have against Dominic West, Edward Atterton, Jack Davenport, James Purefoy, Colin Wells, Linus Roache, Matt Day, Gray O'Brien, Gerard Butler, Nathaniel Parker & Ioan Gruffudd? I suspect that you dismiss every actor you are not familiar with.
Jackman would be a good enough choice. Owen is not one of my top choices because I think he lacks Bond's signature good looks and sex-appeal. As for Northam. He would have been great a couple of years ago. I'm affraid he's getting a little old.

#27 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 03:03 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
I'm curious what you have against Dominic West, Edward Atterton, Jack Davenport, James Purefoy, Colin Wells, Linus Roache, Matt Day, Gray O'Brien, Gerard Butler, Nathaniel Parker & Ioan Gruffudd? I suspect that you dismiss every actor you are not familiar with.  
Jackman would be a good enough choice. Owen is not one of my top choices because I think he lacks Bond's signature good looks and sex-appeal. As for Northam. He would have been great a couple of years ago. I'm affraid he's getting a little old.

well if you had to "pick" one of these Gentlemen. which one would you chose. Why is Northam too old.

#28 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 03:13 PM

Jeremy Northam is already 42 years old. Brosnan will make at least one more Bond film. That film will be released in 2005. That means the next Bond wouldn't take over till 2007. Northam will be 46. That's too old to play Bond.

At the moment I really like the idea of Dominic West playing Bond. When Brosnan steps down, West will be in his late thirties, which is perfect. At the moment he has an impressive list of credits, but he's not a big star yet. That means he wouldn't be too expensive. He also looks and sounds the part.

Because the next Bond will probably be introduced no sooner then 2007, actors like Matt Day, Jack Davenport, Ioan Gruffudd & Gerard Butler may have matured enough also to be considered serious candidates. I happen to think these actors also have potential.

#29 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 03:15 PM

Well since when did age effect a new Bond. Good old Roger Moore was 46 years old. I will admit one thing . I do like the idea of Donaldson as a Bond director.

#30 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 03:59 PM

Brosnan has hopes to appear as James Bond in Bond 22. He is aware however that either Bond 21 or Bond 22 will most likely be his last outing as James Bond. That could mean that Northam would be 49 when he finally has a chance to step into Bonds shoes. Personally I think 46 is too old. Roger Moore started showing his age way to soon. Also, Moore was a big star at the time, so I guess EON was more flexible towards him. Northam on the other hand is not that well known. I doubt they would hire him at the age of 46, let alone 49.

Glad you like Donaldson. Check out Jon Amiel, Michael Caton-Jones & Stephen Hopkins.