This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007 (John Pearson)

5 replies to this topic

#1 chronicliar

chronicliar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 07:50 AM

What is this? Doesn't "James Bond Legacy" include this as an offical book? Anyways I forgot I found it at a used book store in Hawaii and found it this weekend in my closet. It was approved by Glidrose and came out in 1973.

So I am gonna read it soon and add it to my website cause it is official.

Has anyone else read it?

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 09:51 AM

I imagine most of us have. I really didn't think too much of it myself, but many folks whose opinions I respect highly do. Pearson "fills in" quite a few of the holes in Bond's early life that are only alluded to in the novels, and attempts to explain away some of the more outlandish moments in the series, not to mention he gives a "what ever happened to" breakdown of most of Bond's female companions. I've always enjoyed Pearson's Fleming biography more; he was a co-worker and friend of Fleming's, and he offers some interesting perspectives.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:23 PM

Pity such a good writer didn't use his skills to write a proper continuation of the Bond series. I enjoyed the book, but the idea of James Bond being 'real', yet fictionalised to fool the Russkies was a little much.

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:14 PM

I enjoyed his biography of Fleming also. But I don't put any weight into his biography of OO7. Simply because it's like you or I making something up and selling it off as his life story. But I only consider what Fleming wrote canon in Bond's life history (this is before benson, gardner). I don't consider it anyway representative of Bond's life, and neither does Raymond Benson which is good enough for me.

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:26 AM

I don't know how many folks have read it, since it came out in the seventies, and is relatively hard to find.

I like most of it, but I am not particularly fond of the Oedipal spin that Pearson puts on Bond's life. And that my friend's is all I will say. :)

-- Xenobia

#6 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:06 PM

i really enjoyed the book, it was very entertaining, but i dont consider it a bond book, and wouldnt count it in the series or anything like that.