Good to see About A Boy on there. :)

#3 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 11:07 PM

I had a bit of a sparse year for cinema going. 2001's badness put me off I think.

I saw:

OCEAN'S 11
SPIDER-MAN
STAR WARS EPISODE II - ATTACK OF THE CLONES
MEN IN BLACK 2
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS
DIE ANOTHER DAY

I have to say I only really REALLY liked
OCEAN'S 11
STAR WARS
THE TWO TOWERS
DIE ANOTHER DAY

The big much-hyped films like Spider-Man and Men In Black 2 and Harry Potter should have all been excellent but Men In Black 2 seemed lazy and just as if all involved were running short on money and had to make a sequel. Spider-Man wasn't all it was cracked up to be and Harry Potter just seemed a let down after The Philospoher's Stone. I was still undecided about DAD for a while as well but it makes it onto my list only just.

#4 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 10:30 PM

1) Star Wars ep2
2) Die Another Day
3) Minority Report
4) Spiderman
5) Men in Black 2
6) Showtime

I went to watch some others but I can't remember which ones now although I did go and watch the new star trek movie yesterday which was very good.

#5 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 10:35 PM

I can't believe how many people have Star Wars down...

The best movies of the year for me are:
1) Die Another Day
2) Red Dragon
3) Spider-Man
4) Insomnia

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 11:05 PM

Hey JC, whats wrong with Star Wars?:).. To be honest, I think I only saw about 2 films this year:o:o:o, and they were Stawr Wars 2 and DAD. Although, if my mum had lived up to her promises, I would have gone to see TLOTR 1 and 2, and if I'd have had more money, Spiderman.

#7 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 11:07 PM

Hey JC, whats wrong with Star Wars?:).. To be honest, I think I only saw about 2 films this year:o:o:o, and they were Stawr Wars 2 and DAD. Although, if my mum had lived up to her promises, I would have gone to see TLOTR 1 and 2, and if I'd have had more money, Spiderman. Oh, and if one of my friends hadn't chickened out, we would have gone to see Oceans 11 too:mad:.
Damn it, sorry guys about this double posting/editing/quoting lark, I'm just not on the ball tonight

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 11:16 PM

I have nothing against A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi - they're classic films, some of the greatest ever made. Those prequels are just CGI-fests with the worst acting since the last Pauly Shore movie, whatever that might be. I take Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clowns as an insult to the movie-going public.

#9 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 12:16 AM

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people whoo didn't include The Transporter. That was a great movie, with some of the best chase sequences I've seen. Could give Bond a run for his money, those sequences.

#10 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people whoo didn't include The Transporter. That was a great movie, with some of the best chase sequences I've seen. Could give Bond a run for his money, those sequences.

Sorry,but the "Transporter" was a complete and utter waste of film,with the sole saving grace being the gratuitous display of the gorgeous body of Jason Straitham (I think I spelled his name right):) That is a hot man,especially for an englishmen.:)

The Attack of the Clones was a CGI monstrosity slightly better that the Phantom Menace.:)

#11 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:13 AM

BEST FILMS:

Ocean's 11
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can
About Schmidt (See this if at all possible. Great film.)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (My pick for best of 2002).

OKAY FILMS:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
What has George Lucas come to?! He needs to take a lesson from Peter Jackson and realize that computer alone does not make a movie. He can't cast roles, and his scripts are beyond anyone's help. I say for Episode III, let's let someone other than Lucas in the director's seat and have Lawrence Kasdan take a stab at the script. The key problems with it were it's terrible humor, and overall cheesiness (Portman's midriff showing, the Yoda fight - should've been great, was played for comedy rather than seriousness). Let's get back to the original trilogy's feel, too. These people are way to stuffy. They need to learn to use contractions and start talking like normal people. I understand they're formal and everything but: "Good call, my young padawan"? What kind've line is that? Not even Ewan MacGregor could save it.

Spider-Man
A little too cheesy. I wanted a darker feel, better action, and a more believable script. I guess it just couldn't live up to Tim Burton's Batman.

#12 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:44 AM

Sorry for my short list,i don't have seen much movie's in 2002.

1. Hary Potter and The Chamber of Secrets (Cinema)
2. Harry Potter and The philosopher's stone (buy-dvd)
3. Spiderman (Cinema)
4. Spy Game (no Buy-dvd)

#13 dmise

dmise

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:56 AM

Did you see Donnie Darko? Cause that is a great film I recommend it. Probably my favorite film for the year.

#14 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:39 PM

I did not see too many movies in 2002, so I'll just rate the ones I saw (that I remember).

(out of *****)

Gosford Park *****
In The Bedroom *****
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones **** (I thought Ep. I was better)
Spider-Man ****
Sum Of All Fears * (I only saw it because Minority Report was sold out)
Goldmember *** (I pray they stop there)

LONG PERIOD WITH NO MOVIES (although I wanted to see a handful)

Die Another Day **** (I'll have to see it on DVD to get a better idea.)
Star Trek: Nemesis ***1/2 (partly because I was in a BAAAD mood that day, someone hit my car but their insurance covered everything)
The Two Towers **** (I know little about LOTR, but I liked Fellowship more)
One Hour Photo ****1/2 (Saw it last night, creepy as heck)

#15 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:41 PM

Oh yeah, ***** for Catch Me If You Can! I loved it.

#16 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Harmsway

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
What has George Lucas come to?! He needs to take a lesson from Peter Jackson and realize that computer alone does not make a movie. He can't cast roles, and his scripts are beyond anyone's help. I say for Episode III, let's let someone other than Lucas in the director's seat and have Lawrence Kasdan take a stab at the script. The key problems with it were it's terrible humor, and overall cheesiness (Portman's midriff showing, the Yoda fight - should've been great, was played for comedy rather than seriousness). Let's get back to the original trilogy's feel, too. These people are way to stuffy. They need to learn to use contractions and start talking like normal people. I understand they're formal and everything but: "Good call, my young padawan"? What kind've line is that? Not even Ewan MacGregor could save it. [/B]

I think the problem is with Lucas. He is a very good director visually, but he can NOT direct actors. As an actor in training myself, I've really learned a lot about directing actors, Lucas just isn't doing it well at all. He basically sits them in front of a blue screen and says "go". He doesn't realize that an actor needs direction. He says "Faster, more intense." What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Then he says that he is actually trying to capture the acting style of 1930's movie serials, which I classify as "bad". Don't get wrong, I love cheesy movie serials and cheesy sci-fi, etc., but that isn't much of an excuse for taking good actors and making them look awful. Even Hayden Christensen (Anakin) seems to be a decent actor (and I think perfect for the role), but Lucas restricts him.

Another problem is that Lucas is just too soft. He has three kids now as a single father, and I think he's had a few too many Oprah tupperware parties. Star Wars has no real edge, Return of the Jedi is where this started. He's trying to too kid friendly. He insists on keeping it PG, which I think hurt Episode II to a degree, it wasn't intense enough.

All of this has me worried about Episode III, I mean he can't keep it PG and have it be any good. It just can't be as dark as it has to be.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 07:21 AM

Originally posted by dmise
Did you see Donnie Darko? Cause that is a great film I recommend it. Probably my favorite film for the year.

Well I've seen it, and I enjoyed it, but you knew that. It was one weird film, and it will keep me thinking for a while. But About A Boy is still my top 2002 film.

#18 Indiana

Indiana

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:03 AM

Sorry to bump up a "dead" thread, but I want to add my favorites.

Can't say that I went to the theatres that often, but my favorites from what I went to there were:

- Die Another Day
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- The Ring

I haven't seen The Two Towers yet, and have no real desire to (aside from the obvious eye candy). The series doesn't interest me that much. The graphics are amazing though - I think it's enough to go see it in theatres for that reason alone.

Did anyone here see The Ring? It's based off of the Japanese version (Ringu). I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, but I have heard that it's scarier than the American version. Which means that it's a must see for me. :) I think I could rank this into one of the scariest films I've seen. I'm pretty easily scared though, so I don't know if if it's saying much.

I still want to see Catch Me If You Can and Adaptation., but unfortunately my time has been somewhat limited.

I didn't see it in theatres, but I received Minority Report on DVD as a present for Christmas and thought it was amazing. They really did capture what the future should look like. And the story was none-too-bad either.

I bought Spider-Man on VHS (prior to buying a DVD player), and I was pretty surprised at how well it turned out. I want it on DVD now, but I have the Bond movies I want to get first...

...and Harry Potter just seemed a let down after The Philospoher's Stone.
-Mousey

Really? I felt that the COS was almost 10x better than the Sorcerer's Stone... acting-wise, anyway. I really enjoyed it -- went into the theatre with my expectations pretty low, so it surprised me as well.

Indiana