Was Carole Bouquet's voice dubbed?

11 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 03:08 AM

After watching For Your Eyes Only, I became curious over whether Carole Bouquet's (Melina Havelock) lines were dubbed. Her voice just doesn't seem to fit her for some reason, and she sounds a lot like Honey Ryder, and I know Ursula was dubbed. Can anyone confirm if her voice was dubbed or not. I can't really remember the FYEO documentary on the DVD, but if Carole talked on it, you could see if her voice matched Melina's.

Thanks!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 12:22 AM

Well I saw her recently in a French film. And while she wasn't speaking English, he tonal qualities were much the same. So I don't think she was dubbed.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 06:13 PM

SugarRayBk (03 Jan, 2002 03:08 a.m.):
After watching For Your Eyes Only, I became curious over whether Carole Bouquet's (Melina Havelock) lines were dubbed. Her voice just doesn't seem to fit her for some reason, and she sounds a lot like Honey Ryder, and I know Ursula was dubbed. Can anyone confirm if her voice was dubbed or not. I can't really remember the FYEO documentary on the DVD, but if Carole talked on it, you could see if her voice matched Melina's.

Thanks!

Starting the new year off on a really chivalrous note, I'm amazed that you could see her lips, what wiv all that moustache.

That may be relentlessly chauvanistic. But it's true, I tells yer.

You might be right about the dubbed bit; alternatively the post-production sound looping wasn't up to much.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 08:08 AM

White Persian (03 Jan, 2002 09:17 p.m.):

Jim (03 Jan, 2002 06:13 p.m.):
I'm amazed that you could see her lips, what wiv all that moustache.

Are you sure the kids haven't been drawing on the telly again?

Possible, but they seem more interested in playing with the cardboard boxes their presents came in.

Which gives me a good idea what they'll like for next Christmas. Cardboard boxes it is.

What a rotten father. Boo and hiss.

It may just be unfortunate lighting, but there's a definite 'tache in a couple of scenes.

#5 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 11:31 AM

I think not. I think she presented a prestigious filmfestival in 1999 or 2000. I don't know if it was the British Oscars. But she sounded exactly the same. And I must say, you couldn't see that she was 19 years elder!

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 January 2002 - 08:48 AM

Starting the new year off on a really chivalrous note, I'm amazed that you could see her lips, what wiv all that moustache.

I've never being that inebriated as to confuse Topol for Carole.

Too much chrissy/new year cheer, me thinks. :)

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 09:17 PM

I'm amazed that you could see her lips, what wiv all that moustache.

Are you sure the kids haven't been drawing on the telly again?

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:22 AM

I don't think she was dubbed....her voice seems perfectly okay to me...But then who really cares about her voice when you take note of Carole Bouquet's other attributes...
One of the reasons I love French women (the other being the incredible Vanessa Paradis)...

#9 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:12 AM

I never notice that... maybe she had some of her lines voiced over by her afterwards because they sounded off or it was to loud.. and they didn't get the dubbing/matching perfect??

hmmm.. I gotta check that out again

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:05 AM

Its not unusual at all for an actor to go back into the studio after shooting a scene to dub their own lines.

#11 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Yes, she was dubbed.
I'm french and I know very well Carole Bouquet (as an actress, I mean...).
:-)
She dubbed herself in the french version of FYEO, but she was unquestionably dubbed by another actress for the original version.
I don't know why, because she speaks english.

#12 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

I don't think she was dubbed....her voice seems perfectly okay to me...But then who really cares about her voice when you take note of Carole Bouquet's other attributes...
One of the reasons I love French women (the other being the incredible Vanessa Paradis)...

I don't think she was dubbed, but I DO know that she faked ALL of her underwater scenes. Apparently she suffers from some sort of nasal incapacity so whenever a stuntwoman is NOT used (keelhauling scene), she's behind a tank of bubbling water with wind blowing through her hair.