18 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:09 PM

Leo watches the movie "Goldfinger" in the film "Catch Me If You Can" and the next thing you see is him dressing in a suit like the one Connery wears in the scenes on the plane and driving an Aston Martin DB5...
Not sure if this is the right forum but since its opening against a still-running DAD...
Loved the references.

#2 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 12:39 AM

Yeah I can't wait to see this film. I read the book 2-3 years ago and couldn't believe it. Talk about a story, and I was quite chuffed to hear it was coming to the big screen. Looks better than i'd hoped to, hopefully it's a faithful adaptation!

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:26 AM

The shots from "Goldfinger" (which are shown directly onto the screen and look fabulous on the big screen) are the scenes at the beginning in Miami and the scene on the plane where Pussy says "My name is Pussy Galore."
Leo's character is next seen at a tailor's where he is getting fitted with the same style suit Connery wears (he asks the tailor if it is the same). and then he is seen driving around in an Aston Martin DB5 (same model that Bond drives in Goldfinger and TB).
By the way, the movie "Catch Me If You Can" is a great movie...very well done Mr. Spielberg...

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:44 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Yeah I can't wait to see this film.  I read the book 2-3 years ago and couldn't believe it.  Talk about a story, and I was quite chuffed to hear it was coming to the big screen.  Looks better than i'd hoped to, hopefully it's a faithful adaptation!

I've never read the book but I'll be sure to search it out after seeing the movie. I know what you mean about it being an incredible story -- and it all being true also...just amazing..It's probably my favorite movie of 2002.

#5 Alexborn007

Alexborn007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 05:41 PM

I'm unsure if the line is cut, but Leo also puts a hand in his pocket and says "Hello, Pusshy." (in a good Connery impression). Its in the trailer, but I have yet to see the actual film due to a broken ankle that is quite uncomfy :) I'll get out soon enough.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 06:23 PM

Yes, the line "Hello Pussy" is in there...

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 08:54 PM

By the way, I hope the ankle feels better soon..

#8 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 05:04 PM

The Goldfinger bit looked awesome on the big screen (even if it was a copy of a print with a grainier picture).

Catch Me If You Can is a great movie, and I'd love to know how much of that stuff really happened, and how much was artistic license (it said "based" on a true story, and like most Hollywood movies "based" on true stories, they do change things to make the movie more entertaining).

But I loved the Bond sequence, I was laughing and cheering all the way through.

#9 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 07:46 PM

I saw the movie last night and the Bond reference was great. Everyone in the theatre was laughing.

The tailor also calls him Mr. Fleming if I heard correctly.

#10 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 07:54 PM

Yes, you heard correctly. The whole sequence was great!

#11 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 12:57 AM

I wasn't expecting that scene! I thoroughly enjoyed the film and that scene was a great touch (yeah, I caught the Ian Fleming pitch as well). I couldn't help smiling when the Aston Martin was driving down the road with the James Bond theme in full gear.

I wasn't even expecting it to be as good a film as it was. Tom Hanks stole the show. Overall, it was an excellent film.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 01:00 AM

Oh course, the major reference is that sexy sequence with future Bond 21 Girl, Jennifer Garner. :)

#13 Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:52 AM

I thought the Bond sequence in "CMIYC" was great. I couldn't stop smiling through the whole thing. And when he told the tailor to call him "Mr. Fleming," I just about fell out of my chair. I think I was one of the few people in the theater to get the joke.

#14 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 09:06 AM

I also thought it was nice touch. It made a great film greater.

I also chuckled at the fact that Steven Spielberg has been waiting his whole life to put a scene from "Goldfinger" in one of his movies.

By the way, I just remembered about the one thing I think would have made the film better: get someone like Ted Moore to photograph it. His look was perfect 60's. The cinematographer on this film (J. Kaminski) is good, but the film looked too "today".

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 12:20 PM

Steven Spielberg went on the record in the early 1980s that one day he would love to direct the ultimate James Bond movie.

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 02:19 PM

I know what I'll be seeing this weekend.

#17 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 12:25 AM

I was totally surprised to see Spielberg throw in such a huge homage to bond, it was done very well, fit the plot, and done tastefully too. I just wish that he had gotten John Williams to score the scene using the bond theme, could have been interesting.

Rich

#18 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:47 AM

I have seen the movie and i like the reference of Goldfinger,Fleming and the car.
I know it's based on an real story.
But have the real Frank abangale watch Goldfinger to and race in the Astin Martin Db 5 to or have Spielberg this dun for the fun.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
But have the real Frank abangale watch Goldfinger to and race in the Astin Martin Db 5 to or have Spielberg this dun for the fun.

I guess we'll have to wait for that until DVD release time.