39 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:03 PM

Taking a cue from the many 'what if?' threads on the other boards, I was wondering what you would have thought if Guy Hamilton had gotten his way and Burt Reynolds had been hired to be Bond in 1973's Live and Let Die? Seeing a few of Burt's other movies, we can get an idea of how it might have played out. In Sharkey's Machine, Burt's cop is protecting a girl, played by Rachel Ward, from some mean, nasty people, not unlike the circumstances of Bond protecting Solitaire from Mr. Big in Live and Let Die. The boat chase was also done in Gator, with a chse through the Bayoux, of all places. I know this will undoubtedly piss off many of you, but it almost happened, you know. Burt wasn't as close as John Gavin was to being Bond, but the thought were definitely there. An American James Bond, played by Burt Reynolds. When I watched the DVD the other night with my Dad, he said, "Now I like Burt Reynolds, but that would have been the end of James Bond right there." What does everyone else think?

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:20 PM

Yes, Burt Reynolds is all wrong for James Bond. He had an edge in his earlier films, but there is something about 007 being British.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:28 PM

Sometimes it is a scary notion. I hate to think of the way the films might have gone in the 70's.....

Q: Now pay attention 007.

BOND: (cracking a beer w/ trademark chuckle) Whatcha' got?

Q: You'll be using this Firebird Trans AM - we've fitted it with a CB radio.....

.......Ughh......

"Bryce shudders quietly and then dashes to put on Goldfinger DVD"

....although, today, old Burt might make an interesting villain....if he played it really sinister.

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:47 PM

Yep, I was just thinking about Burt's Bond driving a Trans-Am. I would still think that Jerry Reed would show up as Felix Leiter, somehow. Ned Beatty would be there. Who else? Ah, Charles Durning is in a lot of them, too. And who could forget about Dom Deluise?

#5 Jamie007

Jamie007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:32 AM

I really dont think Bond should ever be played by an American.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
Sometimes it is a scary notion. I hate to think of the way the films might have gone in the 70's.....

Q: Now pay attention 007.

BOND: (cracking a beer w/ trademark chuckle) Whatcha' got?

Q: You'll be using this Firebird Trans AM - we've fitted it with a CB radio.....

LOL Bryce!:)

Still, I guess if Reynolds had given us a good ole boy Bond in LIVE AND LET DIE, 007 would've felt right at home with Sheriff J.W. Pepper!

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:02 AM

I don't understand this anti-Americanism. Brosnan has American citesenship, and even lives there, so what difference does it make to hire an American (without the accent, of course)?

And though I've said this before, what about a Candian? Except for some Ontarians, we don't have 'British accents' so are we out, or is this discrimination based soley on the War of 1812 and the Revolution?

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 11:47 AM

Another reason to be thankful that Reynolds never played Bond is that Dom DeLuise would probably have ended up with a recurring supporting role.

#9 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:01 PM

Bond is British. The "americianisation of Bond." Is documented in the doco for Diamonds are Forever which is a good watch.

Bond should be played by someone from the UK or Commonwealth our humour and taste etc is much more in line with each other than the yanks. No offence. But I wouldn't buy an american as Bond. Would you buy Arnie as prez?

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:11 PM

Originally posted by General Koskov
I don't understand this anti-Americanism.  Brosnan has American citesenship, and even lives there, so what difference does it make to hire an American (without the accent, of course)?

And though I've said this before, what about a Candian?  Except for some Ontarians, we don't have 'British accents' so are we out, or is this discrimination based soley on the War of 1812 and the Revolution?

I don't think there would be a problem with a Canadian playing Bond....It is after all a Commonwealth country and they had a New Zealander in George Lazanby..

#11 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 04:17 AM

Burt Reynolds as 007? That would have been a camp classic. I can just imagine it...

Moneypenny: Hello 007.
Bond: How ya doing sweet cheeks?
MP- He wants you in his office.
Bond: Screw the old bastard. I have a six-pack to polish off.

Q: ....and heres something I'm particuarly keen about...a beer hat.
Bond: Sweet.
Q: We've also installed a radio in it with all your favorite rock stations.
Bond: (with the hat on) "Sweet Home Alabama...."

:)

#12 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 04:34 AM

The Smokey Who Chased Me
The Man With the Silver Wig
A View to a Hillbilly
Moonshineraker
From Georgia With Love

and, of course ...

Cannonball

#13 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:52 PM

After Timothy Dalton was shooting blanks with the 2 movies he was in as Bond, the producers were looking for a new Bond.

This would be around 1990-91.

What do you guys think of Don Johnson in the role as "James Bond"? Miami Vice had just finshed its course as of JAN 1990.

I think Don had the look and he could do the fight scenes alright - and he had the sense of humour and good smile like Roger. And he stood out in any scene - just like Roger and Sean Connery did as Bond.

SO what do you think?

#14 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:34 PM

Does Burt Reynolds wear a wig now?

ALso - someone mentioned that actors who play Bond should not come from a TV series. But that can't be true with Brsonan and Moore both coming from TV shows (although i wouldn't call Remington Steele a "show" - The Saint I could)

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:28 PM

then James Bond should have had his license to kill revoked. and begun the process to collect his civil servant pension. there is a god.

#16 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:32 PM

I posted about this under the Casting of Bond in LALD thread on this forum.

Reynolds was actually the 4th American actor offered LALD.

It is a miracle Moore ever got the part. Read the thread and you will see how hard it was for Moore to get the role.

#17 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:03 PM

After seeing Burt Reynolds on The X-Files a few weeks back, I'm terrified at the thought of him coming close [well, not really, I should hope] stepping in as 007.

I hate to think that in The Man With The Golden Gun Bond would say "I sure am, boy!" in all seriousness.

[dark]

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:42 PM

yes it's a miracle that Roger Moore got the part. As to if this was good or bad we still debate that. If Burt Reynold would have gotten the part then Bond would have gone the why of Sherlock Holmes . Down the toilet, one more great literary and screen hero destroyed . As i read the post on the history of casting LALD , i was shock to see how many people where involved in the casting decision . not just the Producers and UA brass . But The permement cast i.e Lee , Maxwell , llewelyn .

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 04:03 PM

There's something about the actor playing Bond being from a British commonwealth country. All respect to Burt Reynolds, but he would have been all wrong for the part of 007.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:08 PM

Actually the thought sends shivers...

#21 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:22 AM

Dom Delouise as Drax.

#22 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:33 AM

In fact, I don't think we can say an american could never be Bond. After all if Lazenby had never played it we'd also be saying an australian could never be Bond. It depends on the actor.

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 02:49 PM

Originally posted by David Somerset
In fact, I don't think we can say an american could never be Bond. After all if Lazenby had never played it we'd also be saying an australian could never be Bond. It depends on the actor.

Not really true -- the philosophy at EON has always been that an actor playing Bond should be from a British commonwealth country. That was the reason that Sam Neill (a New Zealander) was almost signed for the role in 1986.
The same philosophy holds for the director. Brosnan and MGM wanted American Brett Ratner to direct DAD but the task was given to New Zealander Lee Tamahori instead.

#24 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:03 PM

Seriously, back to Burt, what Bond role can Big Enos and Little Enos play?

#25 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 05:21 PM

I just saw Burt on The Best Damn Sports Show Period.. this morning and he looked aweful!!! He looks like he got a face lift.. and his jaw doesn't close now correctly!

He looked like he got one to many face lifts!:):eek:

I just can't see Burt as James Bond.. he is just a nutcase/moody actor! could you imagine if they had Burt after George..

wow that would have sucked!

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 12:19 PM

I certainly think that if Burt Reynolds had been James Bond in the 1970s that we would not have had Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan in the Bond parts -- oh wait a minute, that sounds like a good thing!! :)

#27 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:18 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I certainly think that if Burt Reynolds had been James Bond in the 1970s that we would not have had Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan in the Bond parts -- oh wait a minute, that sounds like a good thing!! :)

LOL LOL LOL

#28 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:51 PM

Wouldn't that weird girly laugh Reynolds does be more appropriate in this case, goldengun?

#29 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 05:07 PM

Some funny bits here;)

However, I still say Burt might make a interesting baddie...He needs to be sinister if not sadistic ala' Red Grant in FRWL.

Maybe as a good front bad guy (Osato or Burt Saxby type).

Just a thought and a bit in a Bond would be good for old Burt. Smokey & the Bandit is still a good piece of film when you're in the right mood.

#30 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 05:46 PM

Agreed, I even can enjoy the Cannonball Run films if there's nothing else to watch.