35 replies to this topic

#1 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 12:29 PM

I love Arnold's style, but would like one of the following to do the Bond 21 score:

David Holmes - the guys a genius! Jazz,funk,soul,breakbeat,blues all in one, lots of strings

Lalo Schiffrin - wonderful jazzy, funky retro beats,heavy basslines, strings

John Williams - epic composer with epic style
Jerry Goldsmith - ditto

Henry Manncini - did Pink Panther theme - nuff said

I'm thinking of more at the moment.:)

#2 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 01:37 PM

Henry Mancini died in 1994.

Neil

#3 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 01:42 PM

Personally I want David Arnold to continue, but in case he won't...
I would prefer an experienced underground composer like Arnold was. I don't think that well- known and famous composers like John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith would score a Bond movie with the same enthusiasm of a mostly unknown talent.

#4 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 01:47 PM

David Arnold is my favorite composer, and especially my favorite Bond composer (sorry, Mr. Barry), so I just need to say - keep with Arnold!

However, ******* happens, so just in case, here's an idea:

Jerry Goldsmith is a fantastic composer (I love his score to The Mummy), but as you said, someone of his stature is unlikely to be chosen for a Bond movie. He does, however, have a son (named Joel) who composed music for Stargate SG-1 (taking cues from our good friend Arnold. Now, I have no clue how good he is or how his music sounds, but there's something to look into.

#5 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Neil S. Bulk
Henry Mancini died in 1994.

Neil

oops :)

thanks for the info

#6 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:08 PM

Williams is a good composer... just not for a bond film.

Goldsmith has always been one of my favorites and i have no doubt he could do a bond film (listen to his newest... "sum of all fears", I think you'll agree). He would definately tone down the electronics which would be good for the series. Goldsmith is (for the most part) an orchestral man with a few electronics (not beats) backing the orchestra or answering it.

Hans Zimmer might be a fun choice (he is my favorite composer), BUT... I would fear we would get a score like what he did for MI:2 with a guitar quartet. Not that it would be a bad thing, but i just dont think it would be the right direction for the next bond film. But damn, it would be some of the best action music of the series (just listen to "The Chase" from Zimmer's "Peacemaker" score and you'll know what i mean).

David Holmes... ahhhhh yes.. Mr. Holmes. This guy gets better every time he does a film. I got my hands on a "for your consideration" academy promo score from "Oceans 11" which is the complete score with no dialogue. I must say, i was very impressed, while the music wasn't bondish for the most part, it was VERY smooth and cool (although it all sounds the same by the end of the album). Holmes would add an interesting aspect to the series.... but he isn't very good at counterpoint or developing themes, his themes are very simplistic. On top of that, I haven't heard him do one action cue yet, that could also be bad. The action scenes might just get a fair dose of techno beats with very little (if any) orchestra. For those of you who may not know.. Holmes actually did his own version of the James Bond Theme which is available on his album "Lets Get Killed", the track is called "Radio 7". Go and download the song or check the album out, it's a good listen, and it would show you where he would take the series, i don't think it is somewhere the series needs to go just yet. Also, his version on that album was supposed to be the new version for 97 (backed with a larger orchestra of course), but Moby got the job.

David Arnold - WOW!! He has done so well thus far, I say let the man continue on until he doesnt want to do Bond anymore. He knows music, bond music, and has a passion for bond films which i think is important.

John Barry - Last... but certainly not least! Mr. Barry's health is failing.. or so i hear. I say let him have one more go at a bond film, besides, he has stated that he would love to do another one! I would love to hear his flowing strings once again, and some of his wonderfully subtle action cues.

Rich

#7 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 09:11 PM

I think it's time to remove Arnold unless he tunes down the electronics and gives his pieces some melody. They work fine with the movie, but apart from that, there's no sweeping melody to it. DAD had no real melody to back it up, which is where it fails. TND his best score, utilized Surrender and it helps the score to being to terrific. If he can't do that, I say let's move on.

Some picks:
Goldsmith (excellent)
Barry (the first and the best Bond composer)

Other than that, no one comes to mind who could do a great job.

#8 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 10:43 PM

When David Arnold comes out and says he is tired of James Bond, then I'll start thinking about new composers.

#9 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:25 PM

Howard Shore - besides Williams, is probably the most sought after of composers. He has enormous range. Real quality composer.
Elliot Goldenthal - very inventive in choice of instruments [rather like Serra in this respect]
George Fenton - a stately composer.
Vaneglis - unique. He composed BladeRunner.
Jocelyn Pook - composer of themes for Kubrick films. [noteably several cues from The Shining/Eyes Wide Shut} very atmospheric composer.

#10 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 11:28 PM

Interesting selections Kingdom... very interesting.

Rich

#11 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 04:14 PM

Actually, I would like to see what John Barry could come up with these days......

*ducks*

#12 Double-O Mojito

Double-O Mojito

Midshipman

• Enlisting
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 01:22 AM

Dave Arnold should DEFINITELY continue for as long as he can, but I really want John Barry to come back for one last score. It'd be interesting to see them collaborate on, say, Brosnan's last outing as 007. Also, as I've mentioned on another forum, Latin music legend Ruben Blades is another personal favorite I'd like to see Arnold work with.

I really enjoyed the soundtrack to Ocean's Eleven, and now thanks to Rich Douglas, I got to hear David Holmes' outstanding version of the Bond theme. If he promises to add some more orchestra to his work, I'd nominate him for life after Arnold.

#13 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

I would give Danny Elfman a chance. He's pretty prolific...almost everyone recognizes the theme from Batman (1989) and he's done great scores for Dick Tracy (1990) Edward Scissorhands (1990), Mission: Impossible (1996), Men in Black I and II to name a few (Oh, yeah, and Spider-Man).

Of course, he composed the theme to "The Simpsons"...give him the job!

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Doubleshot
When David Arnold comes out and says he is tired of James Bond, then I'll start thinking about new composers.

That says it all...

#15 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 04:57 PM

I'm listening to Nic Raines versions of the Bond scores, and, although he didn't compose them from scratch, they are very good.

GoldenEye especially is fantastic, as now we can hear not only the theme tune as an orchestral piece, but also the St. Petersburg tank chase and bits leading up to it. It is fantastic and would have been better to have that in the film than Serra's score.

Even Raine's versions of Tomorrow Never Dies and some scores from TWINE are brilliant, without the electronica.

As you can tell I was really impressed with his GoldenEye versions. Brilliant listening. Although I thinks Arnold's scores are superb, I think they are missing the title tune throughout the film, and Barry used almost the whole title theme in his score at some point in his films. Raine reminded me of this.

Anyway, I'm still happy with Arnold, DAD was marvellous, but let's hope he lowers the amount of electronics.

#16 Number Six

Number Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:01 PM

Goldsmith did the scores for the Our Man Flint films, and also did work on the Mission Impossible series. Maybe he'd take something like the Bond movies on because of the prestige, or the challenge. He's also worked with Tamahori on two previous films, Along Came a Spider and The Edge.

It wouldn't be so far-fetched.

--Eric

#17 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:26 PM

Or something new and radical maybe?

Dust Brothers("Fight Club")

#18 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:51 AM

The Dust Brothers are an interesting choice, but I think their score would stray way to far from the formula for my liking and would get a tad repetitive. It's a shame Joe Strummer recently passed away, he could take the series in an interesting direction (just listen to his small score for the John Cusak film Grosse Pointe Blank). I still say that Hans Zimmer could be an interesting choice as well... As much as I hate to admit it, I think David Arnold may actually be running out of ideas, or needs a break from the series.

Rich

#19 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:05 AM

Grosse Point Blank, eh? I love that movie.

#20 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Number Six
Goldsmith did the scores for the Our Man Flint films, and also did work on the Mission Impossible series.  Maybe he'd take something like the Bond movies on because of the prestige, or the challenge.  He's also worked with Tamahori on two previous films, Along Came a Spider and The Edge.

It wouldn't be so far-fetched.

--Eric

I don't recall Goldsmith doing anything for M:I...Lalo Schifrin did the originial theme and Danny Elfman did the movies.

Were you thinking of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.", which Goldsmith did write for (along with Lalo Schifrin, ironically)?

Just wondering...

#21 Number Six

Number Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:33 PM

That's it. Goldsmith worked with the Man From U.N.C.L.E., not Mission Impossible, sorry. I knew it was something that Schiffrin had done. Did Goldsmith not also work on The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. as well?

--Eric

#22 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:41 PM

Number Six,

You are correct (and without Schifrin)

#23 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 09:46 PM

Actually, I've just been listening to the scores from The Mummy and the first Star Trek film (both Goldsmith, for those of you who don't know), and I think that Goldsmith would definately do a great job with Bond. However, he is quite old, and I still say stick with Arnold.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 05:14 PM

Personally, I wouldn't shed tears if Arnold didn't return. Far from it. I like the suggestions of Danny Elfman, Elliot Goldenthal, David Holmes and Lalo Schifrin.

But it's just hit me who I'd really love to be given BOND 21:

Moby.

#25 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 05:27 PM

David Arnold is not a bad composer, but John Barry and Lalo Schifrin would be great picks.
Lalo Schifrin is a fantastic musician (born in Argentina), knows a lot about jazz, he has studied in Europe and he has many experience and he's not afraid of making huge films' soundtracks. He's the best, after John Barry.
I still think David Arnold is a great composer.

#26 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 09:11 PM

He certainly is.

Moby did fine with his Bond remix back in 1997, but his stuff these days is pretty lousy. Have you heard his song for "The Bourne Identity"? Talk about c****y music...

#27 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 09:20 PM

I'm surprised few, if any, have hinted at a return of Serra, I thought the GE OST was quite good. I would have to say may presonal favourites are as follows, however, I don't think any would quite suit the style of Bond ... if you understand my jibberish ...

Zimmer
Williams
Elfman
Schifrin

Argh, I'm sure there are a few more, who's names I have forgotten, sorry lads!

#28 AMVANQUISH007

AMVANQUISH007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:00 PM

Despite the reservations that people have about John Williams and scoring a Bond film ( Barry has said many times the music has to be 'bombastic') I sincerely hope that he is given the opportunity to try before he passes on. Maybe the Bond film destined for 2007 release would be a challenge for Williams. After all its not that he hasn't re-orchestrated Monty Normans theme. All you have to do is watch Catch me If You Can' to see the homage to Bond. I hope the producers at EON give him the chance. After all, what else is there to do for Williams. He hasn't done many Spy films so why not do the best. You dont have to be a young composer to deliver the goods.

#29 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

While I think that Williams definately has talent in scoring film (the music for the original Star Wars trilogy is brilliant), and I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but he just seems to me to be very over-rated. Also, he seems to score every third movie that comes out, so why get a guy who spreads himself too thin?

#30 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:04 PM

I'm with you Jack... Not that I don't ejoy Williams' music, I think he's an absolutely brilliant composer, but his chase music is beginning to sound the same. Just listen to "Andertons Great Escape" on the minority report score and you'll know what I mean, it sounds like something out of jurassic park or star wars. It's certainly not bad music, but his action music has that same Williams brassy bombastic feel. By the way AMV, Williams didn't reorchestrate the James Bond Theme for Catch me if You Can, that was the original bond theme as performed by the Monty Norman orchestra. It's a shame too, I would have LOVED a new rendidtion done by Williams.

Rich