This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The title of Madonna's Song has not to be "Die Another Day", her spokewoman says...

19 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 10:24 AM

The material girl and the spy
by Devakhi

With the new James Bond movie on the way for production, one could almost guess that 'the material girl' Madonna would be hot on its heels, to put her magical touch in the movie. Madonna's predictable interest stems from her 'presence' in spy films - she's acted up a storm as Breathless Mahoney in 1990's "Dick Tracy" and contributed one song to the 1999 spy spoof "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." And after all that she's going for the real thing - shaken, not stirred - with the title track to the 20th James Bond film, "Die Another Day."

After a month of negotiation with MGM (the producers of the new James Bond movie), Madonna (who is noted as one of the most exciting songwriter and performer to date) is all set and back in the recording studios to come up with the title track of this millennium's first James Bond movie. It won't necessarily carry the same title as the movie, despite it being the "title" song, her spokesperson, Liz Rosenberg, said.

Joining the likes of past James Bond title trackers, which include Duran Duran ("A View to a Kill"), Garbage ("The World Is Not Enough"), Tina Turner ("Goldeneye"), Sheena Easton ("For Your Eyes Only"), Paul McCartney and Wings ("Live and Let Die"), and the queen of Bond titles, Shirley Bassey ("Goldfinger" and "Diamonds Are Forever"), Madonna was also rumoured to being interested in a cameo appearance in the movie. However, latest update has it that 'the material girl' would not be appearing in "Die Another Day" which may be because of her commitment with the play "Up for Grabs," which opens in London's West End in May.

Madonna is also scheduled to appear in "Love, Sex, Drugs and Money", to be directed by her husband Guy Ritchie and co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Jeanne Tripplehorn, and Bruce Greenwood.

"Die Another Day," the 20th James Bond movie is in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of Bond movies which will once again star Pierce Brosnan. He will be starring alongside Halle Berry, Toby Stephens, Rosamund Pike, Rick Yune, John Cleese and Judi Dench. "Die Another Day" is scheduled to open on Thanksgiving weekend, November 22.

...says Jaffa

Regards,
Tim

#2 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:23 AM

You raise a good point, Dave. The language in these press releases are very important. I missed that word myself. However, it is key, because "necessarily" indicates the decision may still be in progress.
I'm disappointed that the title, which actually seems to be part of a phrase, may not be used or be used very limitedly. It would be a shame, because the words "Die Another Day" aren't half as hard to work with as "The World is not Enough" or "The Spy Who Loved Me" or even "Tomorrow Never Dies". But I don't know if ego is actually a major factor in this. It could be that Madonna simply would like more flexibility in crafting her song as an artist. Or, as Xenobia said, it could be that she has a song already lined up. But if that's the case, why go in to "cut" the song last March 18, if it has already been done? Alterations to lyrics to include the title? Touching up?

Still, I wouldn't mind all this as long as, and ray put it best, we have a damn memorable song.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 04:04 AM

zencat (01 Apr, 2002 02:54 a.m.):

Xenobia (01 Apr, 2002 02:34 a.m.):
This may not be a bad thing, but...

I get the feeling that this song that Madonna has recorded may be one that she was planning on putting on her next album anyway...

The same thought crossed my mind, Xenobia. Hey, as long as the song is good...

Great minds think alike...and occasionally so do you and I! ;-)

Seriously, I am sure the song will be good, but you know what...I think Bond is worthy of the almighty Madonna writing something fresh for the occasion. Too bad she doesn't feel that way...if indeed she is recycling a song for this movie.

-- Xenobia

#4 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 02:17 PM

Look, we know how Madonna is. You can say....a 'bit' arrogant. But this sells it! :-( We must know that it is the Bond movie Die Another Day which needs Madonna, and not Madonna who needs Die Another Day! Okay, perhaps I'm overreacting, because she can sing like hell. And, for her voice, she can do a lot good to DAD. But I don't like her as a person.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 01:54 AM

Xenobia (01 Apr, 2002 02:34 a.m.):

I get the feeling that this song that Madonna has recorded may be one that she was planning on putting on her next album anyway...

The same thought crossed my mind, Xenobia. Hey, as long as the song is good...

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 08:38 PM

Ok, let me get this straight. People are getting upset the title of the song might not be "Die Another Day?" So what? Is there a Bond film called "Nobody Does it Better?" How about "All Time High?" Didnt think so, this isnt a big deal.

#7 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 02:12 PM

It's not that the song might not have the title in it which bothers me per se - If it were Bond 19 or 21 it would be a different matter, but it's that this is Bond 20 and the 40th Anniversary, and so it would be far preferrable that for this special occasion the song had the title in it. It would just make it that more memorable, regardless of how good Madonna's song could be without the film's title as the name of the song. Agreed that TSWLM was Bond 10, but I think DAD is far more of a milestone. She's entitled to break with tradition and that's fine - just I'd prefer her not to do it for this particular outing.

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 11:16 AM

Well it wouldn't be the first to not use the title in the song, but I hope they can make it work, kind of like Nobody Does It Better....it still uses The Spy Who Loved Me in the lyrics.....just hope it's a good song....

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 08:34 PM

It'll be kinda strange not having the title theme, have the film title. Let's just hope that it is included somewhere in it though. I agree with zencat about the ego thing. She'd better not do anything that ruins the franchise. That might be a bit drastic but it could happen.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 08:31 PM

I love Madonna but, man, what an ego she has. She must always find a way to stand out from the pack, even if it means breaking with tradition. Still, this is what makes Madonna Madonna and if being free of using the title is what will allow her to create the best song possible then more power to her. Still, what an ego.

#11 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 10:22 PM

I don't mind at all and I don't think it has anything to do with her ego. I presume that she's read the script and has a good idea of what the film is about and, as a songwriter, doesn't want to be tied down to crowbaring the title of the film into the song like The World Is Not Enough (it's told from Elektra's point of view but the world was enough for Elektra all she wanted was control over the oil... of the had written it from James's point of view it would've made sense, the same with Goldeneye... now that song doesn't make sense at all!!!). I don't mind about it as long as it is relevant to the film and doesn't play on Bond cliches (Martinis, girls and guns anyone?!) apart from that she can write whatever she likes within reason. I trust her however big her ego is supposed to be... and Arnold is there to keep her in check!

#12 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 10:33 PM

when Die Another Day was first announced as the title, in the back of my mind there was always the possibility that the song title could be something to the effect of HEROES NEVER DIE...or a song title that would be more in keeping with a NUMBER 1.

Lets face it, if madonna writes a very good song thats in keeping with the script and the history of the franchise AND can get the song to number 1...or 2 or 3 or somewhere near the top, who cares what the title is

i mean....is there a song out there thats called The Spy Who Loved Me, or On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or Octopussy?

lets just get a damn memorable and hopefully top of the charts song

#13 Mr. Solo

Mr. Solo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 12:03 AM

JimmyBond (31 Mar, 2002 09:38 p.m.):
Ok, let me get this straight. People are getting upset the title of the song might not be "Die Another Day?" So what? Is there a Bond film called "Nobody Does it Better?" How about "All Time High?" Didnt think so, this isnt a big deal.

I agree, in principle. But, on the other hand, DAD is (in my opinion) such a catchy phrase that I would be a little disappointed if it doesn't atleast appear in the lyrics of the song (if not the actual title).

Still, as long as the song kicks butt, I'll be happy.

#14 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 03:39 PM

This will be interesting. I was hoping for the song to be the title, but i guess it is ok. I bet she will do a great job with the Bond title song. Maybe this song will be one of the best title songs in the Bond series. Who knows. :)

#15 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 04:34 AM

I'm not a big Madonna fan, so excuse me if this seems a little jaundiced.
I assume EON have signed an artist of Madonna's stature because they hope that the airplay of her song will benefit the film, and increase public awareness of the title.
If (and I realise it is only an "if") Madonna declines to use the film's title for the song, then I can't see that she's value for money.

#16 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:43 PM

SeanValen (03 Apr, 2002 07:22 p.m.):
All Time High (Octopussy)
Nobody Does it Better (TSWLM) are great songs, and great films! go along with the flow, it's refreshing to see another song go a different [route], only happened 2 times.

What about OHMSS?

#17 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 01:34 AM

I get the feeling that this song that Madonna has recorded may be one that she was planning on putting on her next album anyway, or perhaps starting writing for the last Austin Powers movie, and then did "Beautiful Stranger" instead.

Songwriters write *tons* of stuff....Madonna may have had something ready to go for a while, and just didn't know how to use it, now she does. Thus, she can not call the song "Die Another Day," and why the actual title might not appear at all in the song.

And given how I feel about the title of this movie, that's not a bad thing for me!

LOL!

-- Xenobia

#18 SeanValen

SeanValen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 06:22 PM

I think this is promising, because when you are confined to a film title to be used for the film, your not exploring the best interests of the song and relationship with the film, in a way comment on the film in another way, Nobody does it better in TPWLM, commented on Bond, so its interesting.

Some people are 50/50 with DAD's title, so I think its great that Madonna is aiming to make a great song, no limits and make it about Bond. This is not about her ego, this is about making a great Bond song, and not limiting it, she's very talented, why restrict her to a title only, when there could be another interesting things to explore no one knows about.

All Time High (Octopussy)
Nobody Does it Better (TSWLM) are great songs, and great films! go along with the flow, it's refreshing to see another song go a different root, only happened 2 times.

#19 SeanValen

SeanValen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 06:28 PM

Welshcat (01 Apr, 2002 03:12 p.m.):
It's not that the song might not have the title in it which bothers me per se - If it were Bond 19 or 21 it would be a different matter, but it's that this is Bond 20 and the 40th Anniversary, and so it would be far preferrable that for this special occasion the song had the title in it. It would just make it that more memorable, regardless of how good Madonna's song could be without the film's title as the name of the song. Agreed that TSWLM was Bond 10, but I think DAD is far more of a milestone. She's entitled to break with tradition and that's fine - just I'd prefer her not to do it for this particular outing.

For the 40th anniversary, maybe her song will tie in nicely with what Bond is all about, not just the movie also, in the end its all about James Bond, like All time High or Nobody Does it Better, I would have no complaints if a song like that ties in with a anniversary.

#20 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 04:52 AM

Keyword: "necessarily". The song won't necessarily carry the film's title. Granted, the fact that that's in the article indicates it as a likelihood, but we have no way of knowing if it's a certainty. Perhaps she's just struggling with working the title in so she's come up with some alternatives. The disappointing part of this, though, is that "Die Another Day" doesn't really sound hard to work into a song the way "The Spy Who Loved Me" would've been. Of course, if we're in for another song of the calibre of "Nobody Does it Better" then I'm all for it.

Dave