This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Goldfinger 79th Best Movie Of All Time!!!

12 replies to this topic

#1 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 05:57 PM

Did anyone see "The 100 greatest films" on Channel 4 in the UK, over the weekend? In the summer a poll was started to find the names of the publics top 100 films of all time, the results were released on the TV over the weekend, Star Wars (Episodes 4 & 5) claimed the top spots, while Goldfinger made its way into 79th place. So there we have Goldfinger is the publics favourite Bond movie. Channel 4 are now starting the poll for the top 100 actors, lets hope a Bond wins. http://www.channel4.com/greatest

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 November 2001 - 12:34 AM

Some may think that 79 out of 100 may be a so-so result, but putting it into it's proper context makes it 79 out of 100s of 1000s of movies ever made.

Bloody good going in my book.

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I watched it. 79th/100 isn't bad at all. I was quite chuffed that ANY Bond films made it into the top 100.

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 07:12 PM

Blofeld's Cat (27 Nov, 2001 12:34 a.m.):
Some may think that 79 out of 100 may be a so-so result, but putting it into it's proper context makes it 79 out of 100s of 1000s of movies ever made.

You're very right there! From looking at it from that point of view, it's bloomin excellent! I just wish there was more Bond films and they dominated the whole program!! It's a shame there's only 19 at the mo :)

#5 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 07:47 PM

Has anyone voted for the top 100 actors yet?
I voted for Sean Conerry, Samuel L. Jackson, and a couple of others. Your allowed to vote for a maximum of 10. Pierce was gonna be one of my top choices, but i did not see his name on the list.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 November 2001 - 11:54 PM

Dave (29 Nov, 2001 07:12 p.m.):

Blofeld's Cat (27 Nov, 2001 12:34 a.m.):

You're very right there! From looking at it from that point of view, it's bloomin excellent! I just wish there was more Bond films and they dominated the whole program!! It's a shame there's only 19 at the mo :)

Beggers can't be choosers.:)

#7 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 November 2001 - 08:11 PM

Hmm? I was gonna comment on this topic but haven't been able to get into the forums for over a week because of my bloody IE. Anyway....

I had a bet 4 weeks ago that Goldfinger would be the one and only bond in the top 100. The reason for this being that it has got to a stage where everyone presumes Goldfinger is the best. If you ask someone what's your favourite bond film, (unless they are like us or have some knowledge) they always say, 'hmmm, erm, Goldfinger'.

e.g. on one of the DVD's (can't remember which might be twine), they are asking actors there favourite bond films, Yasmine Bleeth (baywatch) is asked and she says 'ooh erm, erm, Goldfinger, yeah Goldfinger,'' and it is so obvious that she hasn't ever seen it but it's the one she's heard of most.

Also I was saying to Blue Eyes the other day, had star wars had 17 prequels/sequels following 'A New Hope' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' they wouldn't have gone to number 1. Had bond stopped after Goldfinger (ie. a trilogy) this would have gone to number one or at least been in the top 5. I believe people judge bond overall and not on specific films. Goldfinger being a safe choice. (btw I love SW).

anyone agree. btw Gladiator should not have been no.6 and where was 'The Shining.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 01:15 AM

I would like to give the general public more credit. I think a lot of people recognise that Goldfinger was the true originator of the all-famous "Bond Formula".

And the villain most likely had a lot to do with too. Auric would surely top most of the "Best Bond Villain" polls.

#9 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 11:41 PM

Well, as a Bond fan, I have to say that Goldfinger is great, but not my fav. But then it's just my opinion.

Goldfinger is where Bond got started. The gadgets, the more than suggestive names, the great villain, the henchman, and the theme tune by Shirley Bassey. That was why it is often considered the best.

There is some bias in the poll, but I think it's more or less right in most cases. It wasn't just a matter of all 90s films. A load of classics were in there as well.
But I was very disappointed that my all time great, The Seven Samurai, was only in the 50s. :)

#10 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 06:43 PM

Great news! It's a shame that there wasn't more Bond films.

The Matrix came out 15th :)

#11 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 09:17 PM

The Matrix is kewl! Michelle Yeoh's Croucing Tiger Hiden Dragon made it aswell. Were there any other Bond related movies?

#12 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 10:05 PM

Saw a TOP 100 list of movie soundtracks somewhere the other day.
It was naturally skewed towards musicals, but Goldfinger was about no. 50.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 10:31 PM

Dave (26 Nov, 2001 06:43 p.m.):
The Matrix came out 15th

These sort of polls tend to be weighted toward the more recent, top-of-mind movies. So if you take away that bias it probably would put Goldfinger above The Matrix.