15 replies to this topic

#1 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 04:45 PM

Well, I think there where quite a few plot holes in James Bond history, but I think this time we have a big one: after the Antonov crashes down, what happens to Icarus? Of course, the remote control blew up, but after the movie, that big thing seems to be still up there.
In GE, the satellite explodes, but what happens to Icarus?

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 05:36 PM

I'd assume just like in DAF: nothing. It might have been retrieved for study or just to get the diamonds back, but it'd probably just burn up upon re-entry when its orbit decayed after a while.

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 06:06 PM

So basically, it's safe to assume that whatever happens, it's taken care of.

#4 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 06:32 PM

As soon as it went out I reckon the Americans would have fired another missile just to make sure...

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 07:29 PM

Remember the last line in Diamonds Are Forever,
"James, how are we going to get those diamonds back down?"

#6 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 08:07 PM

Perhaps Icarus will be returning for Bond 21? It may be highly implausible, but still there's always that big 'what if' question looming about. I doubt it'll happen. My guess is the US government got hold of it.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:24 AM

No matter what happened to it, I fail to see how it is a plot hole, any more than not knowing what happened to Raoul. Neither means anything to the plot.

#8 Won Ton

Won Ton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:44 AM

if i may, the satelite, once it is known that it is covered in diamonds, would be retrieved as soon as possible. its value would more then cover the cost of launching a vessel to retrieve it and its military potential would not go unnoticed to the space capable countries. americans are not that stupid as to blow up something as militarially and monetaraly valuable as the satelite. i think the most plausable explanation for the future of the satellite is that i have gained control of it and am preparing for my own bid at world domination.

#9 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 06:18 AM

Look out, those who oppose Won Ton...

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:30 PM

Here's a real plot hole:

Why would Icharus stop beaming down when the remote was destroyed? Even TV designers are smarter than Vlad: the TV doesn 't go off when you break the remote.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 12:31 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
Here's a real plot hole:

Why would Icharus stop beaming down when the remote was destroyed?  Even TV designers are smarter than Vlad: the TV doesn 't go off when you break the remote.

I wondered about that too.....it seems that is quite a common idea in Hollywood. At the end of Under Siege 2, Seagal disables the space weapon (which bears a remarkable resemblence to the space weapon in DAF and DAD) by shooting a hole in the remote control, and subsequently into the villain (who is holding the device at the time).

#12 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:28 AM

If you are looking for mistakes in the film, try these:

At the end, we see the sports cars sitting in the ground and the helicopter flying, but what about the debris from the Anotnov that barley missed the helicopter as it fell?

And, I think in the TND novelisation, Bond noticed the weight of the P99 loaded and unloaded. Yet in DAD, he has no idea that he was carrying a unloaded gun when he confronted Graves.

And in the part when he swims under the ice palace, wouldn't his face be freezing cold? And don't tell me that's warm water when he comes up; it just wouldn't make too much sense. Unless someone can honestly explain that.

And finally, Jinx's fall from the hospital. That had to be 30 stories or something! She would go splat on the water just like Zorin in AVTAK.

Those are most of the problems I have with this film. But it doesn't change the fact that I love DAD!

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:43 AM

It's not made apparent in the film, but Miranda removed the firing pin from Bond's gun, the bullets are kept in.

Thats the only one that I can explain :)

#14 Won Ton

Won Ton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:57 AM

since the plane was moving, the debris wouldn't all fall in the same spot, since the cars fell out before the chopper any debris falling around the chopper would land further along the planes trajectory. that would explain why no debris were around the car.
the water probably was pretty cold, but he still could have survived for the limited time he was in it.

#15 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:56 AM

pretty good explainations. I buy it now. Now for that dive that Jinx takes...

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:49 PM

Jinx falls and then forms a dive shape. She pierces the water as she hits it and continues into it as you would a normal dive. Zorin fell but landed in the water on his back, this would have broken it and paralyzed him.

The reason Jinx's neck didn't get broken on impact was that it was shielded by her upper arms.
If you think about it, it's the same as "How did Connery survive that dive off the oil rig in DAF". Except I cant' workout how he got out of the water again, unless there was a boat already down there.