214 replies to this topic

#151 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

This thread is rapidly turning into a harry and Paul sketch.

Going back on topic, anyone have thoughts on when cast, director and studio are to be announced? I imagine Craig's status will be made clear(er) when Lucky Logan does its press run as, even if a PR person says Bond is off limits, journalists have pestered Rachel Weisz and Mark Strong for an answer on this, so is a purely personal relationship isn't a line in the sand for that type of journalist, I don't see an overworked pr person having much hope.

#152 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

I think they are doing a mashup between YOLT and Benson's book
http://www.jborbisno...ain-in-bond-25/

#153 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

This thread is rapidly turning into a harry and Paul sketch.

Going back on topic, anyone have thoughts on when cast, director and studio are to be announced? I imagine Craig's status will be made clear(er) when Lucky Logan does its press run as, even if a PR person says Bond is off limits, journalists have pestered Rachel Weisz and Mark Strong for an answer on this, so is a purely personal relationship isn't a line in the sand for that type of journalist, I don't see an overworked pr person having much hope.

As I've said before, it's reasonable to expect a confirmation of the 007 role once the distribution matter is solved. It's anybody's guess how long that will take. Meanwhile it's obvious how any studio deal will affect BOND 25 as the studio will bear the lion's share of the budget.

So, whatever we consider as 'done deal' or not, obviously there's still going to be some behind-the-scenes preparation necessary. Autumn? End of the year?

#154 KHergesheimer

KHergesheimer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Some (probable) guff from the Sunday Mirror: http://www.mirror.co...erhand-10895860

Not much there but strange the Benson interview. Could be similar to SPECTRE/Colonel Sun torture scene in that they are using part(s) of his book and therefore need to pay him something. I don't remember the novel well, but doubt they are lifting the entire story, it may be just a scene or two but enough similarity Eon want to avoid any legal issues. As for the Shatterhand title, that may be lifted from someone actually researching via these forums, but if true it would be excellent news. Seems like a very logical way to follow up from the last film and keeps Blofeld in the narrative, it's original Fleming, brings in Irma Bunt (which we know was originally planned for the last film but ultimately cut from the script) and provides a clever ending to Craig's run while leaving the door open for more adventures.

#155 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

Raymond Benson on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/...673175616090112

#156 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

So there - mirror, mirror on the wall...

#157 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

It makes sense that they'd want to do Shatterhand and given the creatively bankrupt duo are writing it, it also makes sense that they'd pilfer from other already existing material to fill the gaps.

Of course there's no need for that if they could create their own interesting, 3-dimensional screenplay from YOLT, but alas....

#158 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Would love Shatterhand and Croatia to be true, but I can't believe it. It's a Sunday tabloid trying to seize upon Bond discussion with made-up information. Shame.

#159 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:41 PM

Considering that the Shatterhand rumor is being presented alongside the old Croatia rumors, I'm not placing much stock in it. At least there's nothing about Gulshan Grover. 

#160 KHergesheimer

KHergesheimer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

Yep, if we go by past years we won't know much of anything at all (beyond Craig's return and the director) until late 2018. It's going to be a long year of silence and speculation.

#161 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

Some (probable) guff from the Sunday Mirror: http://www.mirror.co...erhand-10895860

Theyll_Print_Anything.jpg

#162 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Some (probable) guff from the Sunday Mirror: http://www.mirror.co...erhand-10895860

Theyll_Print_Anything.jpg

Exactly.

#163 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

What an embarrassment of a publication

https://www.mi6-hq.c...e-news?id=04293

#164 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

I just checked the print version, and she's right about the Benson quotes not being there. That doesn't stop the story from being a load of old bollocks, of course.

In any case, if they actually are thinking of going down the continuity novel route, and assuming Craig's coming back, I would have thought the logical one to adapt would be Nobody Lives Forever, rather than a Benson novel, anyway.

#165 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:17 AM

What an embarrassment of a publication

https://www.mi6-hq.c...e-news?id=04293

Anyone remember the story that Bond 24 was supposed to be Devil May Care? 

#166 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

I remember the good old Beyond The Ice days.  :D

#167 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Oliver Tobias is James Bond.

#168 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

No, Dave Warbeck is.

#169 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

Anyone else remember Finlay Light?

#170 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

I distinctly remember some tabloid pushing for James Read (the guy from NORTH AND SOUTH and the first season of REMINGTON STEELE)...

#171 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Lots of tabloid rumours about the next one being called Shatterhand, blind villain, Croatia, Waltz returning and aiding MI6 in a Hannibal Lecter style of role, etc etc!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

#172 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

Finlay Light! That takes me back.

I think he was also in the mix to play Simon Templer in a failed series return of The Saint back in the day.

#173 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

I remember Entertainment Tonight officially announcing 32 year old Australian model Finlay Light  as the new James Bond in The Living Daylights. It was the first I'd heard the title announced for that film, and the first I'd heard Pierce was having issues with his Remington Steele contract. I also remember host John Tesh joking that Finlay Light sounds like a beer commercial. It was in May of '86 that this aired, and until Dalton was actually cast I believed that Light was indeed going to be the new 007.

#174 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Ah yes.  Finlay Light.  Takes me back as well.

Perhaps the last time I actually believed anything in the press about Bond.  Actually, I do myself a disservice.  I didn't believe that either.

Google Images had an array of images - for any number of famous people, but none that I could discern as being the chap in question.

#175 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ah yes.  Finlay Light.  Takes me back as well.

Perhaps the last time I actually believed anything in the press about Bond.  Actually, I do myself a disservice.  I didn't believe that either.

Google Images had an array of images - for any number of famous people, but none that I could discern as being the chap in question.

Really? I found several.

Here are several from the 1980's

http://www.gettyimag...ight"&sort=best

And one that appears to be much more recent

http://1.bp.blogspot.../_DSC1373bw.jpg

John Glen's book "For My Eyes Only" apparently states that he did indeed direct a screen test with Finley Light for "The Living Daylights". So it would seem that FL was considered for the part.

I've also heard - don't know if it's true - that this was also part of a ruse to force Timothy Dalton to do a proper screen test.

#176 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

I think FL looks the part (once the surfer locks are addressed). Can't speak for his acting chops!

#177 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

A work colleague was listening to the radio here in Sydney this morning, and Idris Elba was a guest. Elba said that the Bond producers had spoken to him about the 007 role in the past but had never offered anything. He also said Daniel had initially said that he wasn't doing Bond 25 but when they offered him a pay rise, he decided he was back on board.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

#178 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:44 AM

A work colleague was listening to the radio here in Sydney this morning, and Idris Elba was a guest. Elba said that the Bond producers had spoken to him about the 007 role in the past but had never offered anything. He also said Daniel had initially said that he wasn't doing Bond 25 but when they offered him a pay rise, he decided he was back on board.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Does Mr. Elba actually know that, or did he merely read it in the British tabloids?

I'm not saying he is wrong. I'm just wondering if he would actually know.

#179 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

With respect, that link showed up a bunch of images of an otherwise non-Caucasian chap and many of some kid or other.

Which, was pretty much what turned up on a google image search...

As for the tests, of course they were performed to encourage someone procrastinating to maybe, do the right thing and sign.  The Moore years were filled with such 'tests'.

#180 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:17 AM

Light's the chap in the fetching knitwear at the bottom of the page.