00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

A fan. :)

https://twitter.com/...348654122565635

LOL I KNOW RIGHT WHAT KIND OF TARD WANTS TO SEE STUPID NORTH KOREAN PEOPLE IN A BOND MOVIE WHAT A BUNCH OF TOOLS #FRWLISTITS

#544 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ugh. Doubtlessly some authority...

#545 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

McClane: I was wrong about you, Grant - you're not such an a**hole after all.
Grant: Oh, you were right - I'm just your kind of a**hole.

Good on yer, Zen - you're my kind of a**hole.

#546 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Got to buy that guy a new keyboard, or at least a new caps lock button.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 29 July 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#547 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Got to buy that guy a new keyboard, or at least a new caps lock button.

Question is, would it make a difference? Hm...

#548 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

A fan. :) https://twitter.com/...348654122565635

How flattering. Sounds like we've met this guy before (several names come to mind).

#549 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

What I love about this thread is that the title really only works for Die Another Day, but in that regard it does so perfectly. A bombastic proclamation in all-capital letters, yet with clear self-doubt -- in this case a simple question mark, while in the movie it was Pierce's obvious incredulity that the lines he was being told to read were going to make the final cut. :D

#550 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Listened to the soundtrack of this one today. There's some pretty good moments in the score I think.

I cannot believe it's been 10 years!

Part of me still wishes there would've been one more Pierce Brosnan James Bond film.

#551 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Weird for me to think that the last Brosnan Bond film was ten years ago. They still feel so current to me.

#552 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

http://www.musicroom...ond-movie/3846/

#553 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Weird for me to think that the last Brosnan Bond film was ten years ago. They still feel so current to me.

I concur. Die Another Day is next up for me as I make my way through the Bond 50 set before Friday, but his films have aged fairly well in my view. It was funny watching GoldenEye again for the first time in years and thinking Judi Dench has been M for 17 years.

#554 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I can still enjoy it immensely.

#555 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Funny, I've got all kinds of issues with DAD (he never took me golfing!) but the invisible car thing was never one of them. It's not like the cars haven't done outrageously far-fetched things before. The one that can turn into a full sub doesn't cross the line, nor does the one that can shoot fire hydrants full of water, but somehow the one with reflective technology does. That's always the first thing listed seemingly every time issues with DAD are brought up. Of all the eyeroll-worthy bits in that movie, it still cracks me up that the car is the big thing that made audiences collectively draw the line and say, "Nope, no way."

#556 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

Funny, I've got all kinds of issues with DAD (he never took me golfing!) but the invisible car thing was never one of them. It's not like the cars haven't done outrageously far-fetched things before. The one that can turn into a full sub doesn't cross the line, nor does the one that can shoot fire hydrants full of water, but somehow the one with reflective technology does. That's always the first thing listed seemingly every time issues with DAD are brought up. Of all the eyeroll-worthy bits in that movie, it still cracks me up that the car is the big thing that made audiences collectively draw the line and say, "Nope, no way."

Yep. At least it was/is based on actual technology and not complete fantasy.

The more I think of it, the biggest problem I have with the car is that it's kind of a useless idea to begin with. What does James Bond even need an invisible car for? It's not like he can drive it indoors with the engine completely silent.

I do enjoy DAD and I maintain that I'd watch it over most of the duller films any day (FYEO, TWINE, TMWTGG, etc). A film that's entertaining but silly is still better than a film that's boring.

#557 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I never minded the invisible car that much to be honest, it was the DNA plot line that lost me and the Batman Forever like satellite Incarus that I had know interest in. To make the scene were Bond surfs with the ice bergs I a little better IMO, I would have liked to see him using the Union Jack and if they played "Wish they could all be California Girls" even better.

#558 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Die Another Day is a "middle of the road" Bond film for me, which is preciscely where I place it among my rankings. It's definitely more enjoyable than The World is Not Enough, but not quite as well rounded as Tomorrow Never Dies or GoldenEye.

Two-thirds of the film are really entertaining, but the rest is just downright terrible and at times hard to watch.

The PTS is action-packed and very Bond and I like the title sequence even though Madonna's theme is awful. Bond's time in London is good fun as well...from Q branch (John Cleese was great by the way) to Bond's sword fight with Graves. I honestly never had much problem with the invisible Vanquish. The scenes in Iceland I find again, very entertaining. The car chase on the ice and through the ice hotel are pure awesome, I just love hearing those engines rev and car chases are always a favorite of mine in Bond films. I thought Zao was one of the better villains in the series, but he really needed more screen time.

However, the CGI is downright terrible and unwanted. The laser fight sequence is almost painful to watch it's so fake looking, as is the wave surfing in Iceland. Gustov Graves as the main villain was just sort of flat, uninteresting to me. Jinx just wasn't believeable at all as a (spy) character and the whole ending (after Iceland) is just bad.

#559 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

Well, I see your point, but I don't like the car gadgets from GF onwards. As my late father used to say it's all far too fantastic, but then I'm a Fleming purist - what the hell would I know?

I don't really draw any distinction between the joke cars in GF, TB, TSWLM, FYEO, TLD, TND, TWINE and DAD, but an invisible car and X-Ray specs surely belong in Sci-Fi, not the realm of James Bond.

I just see the stealth reflective whatnot as the natural escalation from the already sci-fi gadgetry the cars have already been outfitted with. I'll see your invisible Aston Martin, and raise you a Bondola.

#560 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Neither can I; it doesn't feel like a decade since I saw it in the theaters.

I rewatched it on Friday - hadn't seen it since the cinemas. I didn't think it was horrible but not great either back in 2002; I think I liked it better this time, but still see it as a badly flawed film.

The biggest issue is that there is IMO too much going on; is the film about the traitor who gave Bond up? Nope. The genetic experiments that could put unidentifiable agents all around the world? Nope. Is it about a radical excitement junkie rich guy who is going to use his money for personal gain and run the world to ruin? Nope. Is it about a giant fricken' space laser? HELL YEAH!!!

But that's kind of the problem - any of these ideas probably could have supported a good Bond film (and space lasers feature prominently in DAF, and lasers in general in GF, TMWTGG and MR) and yet these other plot ideas that could have really developed in their own interesting ways get lost in the shuffle (the traitor bit is the most disappointing, IMO, because the revelation is so blindingly obvious the way the movie is presented - there's no one else it could be, and yet we're supposed to be surprised by the reveal? Again this is the problem of crowding out this story element).

And I understand that music taste is horribly subjective, but even if I accepted Madonna's theme as a good song, I'd argue a dance number doesn't strike the right cord over the 14 months of torture visuals for me.

Of course, this also ties into a problem I had with the PTS which is we've seen Bond escape from these kind of captures before, so its kind of hard to buy it the way it's presented. Its not a bad idea - and would have really worked with a film that developed the "who is the traitor" story angle - but doesn't seem done "right" to me in order to make me think, "yeah even Bond couldn't have gotten out of that one".

I don't think Halle Berry is awful; she's sometimes really fun in the role. But they also seem unsure of what to do with her (so she ends up needing saving from Bond twice in about a 10 minute span). Which seems to be the case with a lot of the elements in the film, IMO.

#561 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Neither can I; it doesn't feel like a decade since I saw it in the theaters.

I rewatched it on Friday - hadn't seen it since the cinemas. I didn't think it was horrible but not great either back in 2002; I think I liked it better this time, but still see it as a badly flawed film.

The biggest issue is that there is IMO too much going on; is the film about the traitor who gave Bond up? Nope. The genetic experiments that could put unidentifiable agents all around the world? Nope. Is it about a radical excitement junkie rich guy who is going to use his money for personal gain and run the world to ruin? Nope. Is it about a giant fricken' space laser? HELL YEAH!!!

But that's kind of the problem - any of these ideas probably could have supported a good Bond film (and space lasers feature prominently in DAF, and lasers in general in GF, TMWTGG and MR) and yet these other plot ideas that could have really developed in their own interesting ways get lost in the shuffle (the traitor bit is the most disappointing, IMO, because the revelation is so blindingly obvious the way the movie is presented - there's no one else it could be, and yet we're supposed to be surprised by the reveal? Again this is the problem of crowding out this story element).

And I understand that music taste is horribly subjective, but even if I accepted Madonna's theme as a good song, I'd argue a dance number doesn't strike the right cord over the 14 months of torture visuals for me.

Of course, this also ties into a problem I had with the PTS which is we've seen Bond escape from these kind of captures before, so its kind of hard to buy it the way it's presented. Its not a bad idea - and would have really worked with a film that developed the "who is the traitor" story angle - but doesn't seem done "right" to me in order to make me think, "yeah even Bond couldn't have gotten out of that one".

I don't think Halle Berry is awful; she's sometimes really fun in the role. But they also seem unsure of what to do with her (so she ends up needing saving from Bond twice in about a 10 minute span). Which seems to be the case with a lot of the elements in the film, IMO.

LOL I enjoyed your opinion on the subject and I've been asking around trying to find out whose idea was it to get Madonna to do the theme song anyway, they played right into the hands of Austin Powers with that one IMO and they might as well have made Mr. Freeze the main villain.

#562 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Didn't think this deserved another thread. But seriously, the main cover image of Lee Tamahori. It this or isn't this him...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848414/

Seriously.

#563 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

My first reaction was "no." But after studying the other pictures of him it does look like it could be him. Just with different colored hair, and less hair as well.

#564 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I think they accidentally used a picture of this actor for the main lee tamahori pic- http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0712562/

The error could've occurred since that actor was in devils double, a film directed by tamahori

Edited by JB007YH, 21 November 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#565 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I don´t think it´s him.

#566 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I like DIE ANOTHER DAY.

#567 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

In less than 24 hours, it'll be the 10th anniversary of this thread. And it'll also be the end of it.

The CBn Team has come to the decision (with the agreement of the threads original creator) that it's finally time to send it off to retirement, i.e. it will be closed for good. Everyone who wishes to bid it farewell has 24 hours time to do so.

#568 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Farewell old friend. Thanks for the memories.

#569 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

In less than 24 hours, it'll be the 10th anniversary of this thread. And it'll also be the end of it.

The CBn Team has come to the decision (with the agreement of the threads original creator) that it's finally time to send it off to retirement, i.e. it will be closed for good. Everyone who wishes to bid it farewell has 24 hours time to do so.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Let our voices be heard, we will not let this thread die out. I won't rest until this thread lives to celebrate its twentieth anniversary, then its 50th anniversary.

Start up copycat threads if need be. This thread is too great to die or be closed.

'scuse me while I shed a tear at the heartless heavy-handed mods and admins who have done their best to remove all fun and joy from these fora.

(sigh)

So... does this mean Zencat doesn't think DAD is still the greatest Bond film ever?

Say it ain't so.

#570 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Let it go, man. Nothing beautiful lasts forever.