This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

I am giving away a big part of my collection.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hi Folks,

Due to space problems, my age and a need to keep the peace with my Wife, I have decided to give away a major portion of my James Bond collection.

I have a huge (massive?) collection of clippings from magazines, newspapers and books plus online archives like the trade newspaper Variety.  Almost entirely in English, drawn from USA and international sources.  They are filed in 3 ring binders in order of the date they were published.  I was trying to tell the story of the making of each Bond movie.  There are some 8 x 10 photos sprinkled in the collection. 

The portion I am giving away begin with THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN and run through to SPECTRE.  The more recent movies have more binders as there was a lot more material to pick from.  There are 15 UHAUL cartons full of binder and then there would be more cartons with misc duplicated clippings and a selection of books and magazines.  For now, I am keeping the portion of the collection that covers the Connery/Lazenby years.  Eventually they will have to go as well I suppose.  The files for LIVE AND LET DIE were traded some time ago.   

It would be hard to put a dollar amount to this collection but it would have to run into the thousands. 

I thought about trying to sell them but am reluctant to see the collection broken up and some earlier attempts to do so on ebay were disappointing.  

I am hoping that this collection will go to someone who shares my passion for archiving and who will appreciate what has been done here.  What I would need in return is for the recipient to pay the freight costs for the shipping.  My guess it could run a couple of hundred as it will have to go on to a pallet and ship via common carrier.  I cannot imagine how someone overseas could make this work.  The second part is that this person be willing to share good copies of any material from the Connery years that I might not already have.  This could be accomplished over some time. 

I suggest we start a dialogue in this forum first, and then if it seems like a good fit, we can speak over the phone and via email.

I am 61, male, reside in Idaho USA and have collected Bond since I was a teen.   

Thanks for your consideration.

#2 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hi there! If I had spent a large part of my life collecting items such as you have I wouldn't part with them. Why not rent storage for your collection, if that's an option for you? It sounds like these items are very dear to you. 

#3 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

Very interesting, in that I would like to do the same.  I don't want to give them to a person, though.  I would like to donate them to a museum.  One aspect, on which I have not yet decided and which would depend on the museum, would be whether I (my heirs, etc.) would retain ownership and the museum would have the right to care for the items and display them, or simply to donate them.  You might consider these factors, as well.

Is anyone aware of a Bond museum ?  Not a Bond cars and vehicle museum, though they might have the desire to accent their displays with items such as soundtrack albums, books, magazines, etc.

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

John Cox over at Book Bond is, or was, a collector of such material.

Indeed I have donated like items to the good and the welfare that is his interest.

He used to be on these boards but I think he has veered more Book than Film of late.

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

John Cox over at Book Bond is, or was, a collector of such material.

Indeed I have donated like items to the good and the welfare that is his interest.

He used to be on these boards but I think he has veered more Book than Film of late.

Thing is: John is currently selling part of his collection, too.

#6 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

The problem with this kind of collections is, that for the person who collected and stored it for all those years, it's probably worth thousands of dollars, but for most fans it's just a collection of articles and paperwork and they are not prepared to pay that kind of money for it.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Just so. This is really part of someone's life, no price tag will reflect this.

#8 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

Does anyone know whether Eon or The Fleming Foundation maintain a collection ?  As I wrote earlier, I am not necessarily intent on selling.  My concern is that it be maintained by someone who cares and, preferably, would show it.