#1 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

This popped through the door today.

Less a 'magazine', and far more a book at 120 pages, it arrived with fanfare and ceremony due to the very high gloss gold foil padded envelope.  On receiving such an item, one immediately knows one is in Graham Rye territory.

I have only read the first three chapters thus covering, on a chapter per film basis, information and goodness up to and including Goldfinger.

It is already safe to say the author's research, knowledge and affinity for this topic is complete.  One is presented with a veritable landslide of important sounding model numbers and vital differences between the 'a' version and the 'b' version.  A chap who, by his own admission, is called upon by auctions to 'take a look at this and tell us what we're looking at.'  So, so far, so assuring.

That said, it is already becoming quite a chore to read.  While the presentation and printing is as per one's expectations for all things coming from the Rye stable, getting to the information has had me reading, re-reading, re-thinking and almost trying to edit in my mind where the story is.  The benefits of an editor have unfortunately not been considered.

Hemingway always believed shorter sentences were better.  He was famous for them.  Very.  It allows one to get to the kernel of his point.  On the other hand, Leslie Charteris, of Simon Templar Saint fame, loved playing with words and to create whole paragraphs that were in essence just one, well constructed, lucid and free-flowing sentence to cover a multitude of musings.  Unfortunately the author, Mark Hazard, an alias(?), is nether.

To paraphrase an example without breaching copyright; 'After I left the club, crossing the road, the road famous for black BX76 weevils, black being the opposite of white and not very interesting at that, for perhaps an errant burger van on rainy weekend nights, I went home.' 

Or, the repeating interest in the word 'which'.  'I saw the film Weevils, which won a Oscar, which is an award for films, which is handed out once a year, which is a unit of time seen on calendars, which people hand out at Christmas every year in coded BX76a standard variation boxed packages...'

When faced with this sort of construction, and together with the also not-very-welcoming-with-open-arms attributes of 'BX76a weevil' type information, it is only the strong willed and perhaps those who already have an inkling for the subject matter, that will persevere.  For my part, I am taking a rest.

Another shifting of stance which throws one's concentration, is how the author refers to himself.  So far, it has run the gamut of all the first and third person references to include, me, myself and I, 'the author' and 'this author'. 

I fear all this will be appearing harsh and I am likely to receive the usual messages of, 'Could you do better?' and 'Until you have something to show, you shouldn't critique' but to pre-empt and quell, I do believe one can critique without necessarily having demonstrated one can do the same - otherwise, how would we ever get away with critiquing our actors.

Anyway, as I have said, I have only read to chapter three.  This is most certainly Not the definitive review.  My only fear is, it may never be.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Truth be told: I haven't even been aware of this prior to your first impressions here. So thank you, Simon.

#3 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:15 AM

Still waiting for my copy. pre-ordered and paid back in August

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

Hijacking and derailing my own thread for the moment, does anyone post over at AJB Forums?

Only having posted roughly 80 posts, I had the temerity to post the above musings in their thread for this topic and some chap called Miles popped up getting all excited about the attacking nature of it all.

There followed some enquiring questions from my side, and few sensible answers from his, and in the end a qualifying post from me (as below) has resulted in its being deleted and, by the looks of it, an unregistration of account. 

I am left to conclude AJB does seem a rather gimpy environment, entirely lacking in freedom of speech.  Does anyone else note the same?

Of course, if my sort of review is entirely cobblers, then let it be said...

Offending post.

Ignoring Miles and his excitability for the moment, I feel I must (re)state, I long term love Rye's output and I am in awe of the writer chap's knowledge.

I am usually front and centre in positively reviewing, nay drooling, over some of Rye's works, and especially his recent Goldfinger steelbook.  Mr Rye has been over to my place to photograph lobby cards, campaign books and pressbooks for some of his projects, and just as I know he is a man who speaks his mind, so too do I hope all is well with him with the above.

As for the presentation combined with the knowledge of the one writing, I just feel it is worthy of text that invites one in, shares, intrigues and informs.  Currently, I find I am fighting the text to get to the meaning.

Anyway, on with the show.

Miles, you've had your five minutes.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

From what I've read there in the past it seemed they put an emphasis on the collector's side of things, gadgets, clothes and so on. Frankly, much of it escaping me, so I never bothered a lot. Can't say I've heard anything negative about them up to now; not that I remember, at least. You may just have hit on a nerve on a bad day there.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

You're right, the collecting side of things was actually the only forum that interested me there as it was so focused.

That said, something else happened with one of their contributors which I had to ask advice about on this here CBn forum.  In relation to an NSNA collectible, he said that this film had been released by MGM in '83.

I had the temerity to ask after this as I had otherwise thought it was Warners.  I asked if the MGM connection was per an MGM/Sony relationship as we have had recently and this little twerp, Miles, popped up again with;

'Do you know who this person is?  If you don't, I'm not going to tell you.'  !!  Ok, I thought.  And then;

'If you don't know about MGM, go away and do your reading.'  Ok, I replied, I had read Robert Sellers' book.  And the only connection to MGM now was that NSNA had been bought by MGM/Eon to pop every Bond under one roof.

It all got nonsensical and in the end, all my posts were deleted and, tellingly, the writer's words were corrected in ref to NSNA and MGM to protect the stupid and the guilty.

Now wondering if this same writer who goes under the name of Donk and the Lotus reg plate in the forums, might also be the Mark Hazard pseudonym of the book....?  Would certainly explain Miles' excitable reaction.

But, back to the book, it really is bloody unreadable.  Might have to copy a sentence down to illustrate.  Head ache inducing stuff.  Pity really..

#7 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

This from the chapter devoted to OHMSS.

Just when you are about to leave the cinema at the end of the movie after Bond married Tracy, 007's Aston Martin DBS is sprayed with gunfire from a passing Mercedes sedan driven by Blofeld (Telly Savalas) and from the barrel of what appears to be a 5.56mm Armalite AR15 rifle (M16) however this was a John Stears fibreglass special effects gun, as there are wires running from the oversized non-standard muzzle (a light unit attached to the practical barrel), over the front sight assembly to a cloth shroud would probably have lead to a 6 volt lantern battery, in the hands of Blofeld's right hand 'man'..Irma Bunt (Ilse Steppat)...James Bond Will Return (but it will be the other fellow!)

And this 'prop handler conversation' gem from the LALD chapter.

While discussing fond memories he had of making Licence Revoked[sic] he dropped a little known fact, which was that even though the documented contracted weapons armourers/wranglers were Stembridge Gun Rentals, Dalton's PPK pistols he had used on The Living Daylights that had been shipped out from the armourers in the UK, and these pistols in turn had originally been Roger's where Roger had also utilised PPK pistols previously used by Sean and George, in fact Brosnan was the first Bond to utilise PPK pistols fresh out of the ULM shipping boxes that had not been utilised previously by other actors; four pistols, two pairs with sequential serial numbers ending 475, 476, 589, and 590 were purchased for Brosnan's personal use on GoldenEye which he also used on Tomorrow Never Dies before upgrading to Walther's new service pistol, the 9mm P99...a circulating PPK pistol with accompanying Stembridge Armoury hire documents accredited to Timothy Dalton has the wrong shape slide and the serial number is NOT factory stamped.

And it's all like this.  Which is a real shame as the topic in isolation should be fascinating, and the presentation in person IS glorious.  But the unfathomability of the text keeps you completely at bay.  I have all but given up.

Hope to hear thoughts other than my own blatant and manifest disappointment... 

#8 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Wow, just realized that entire second excerpt is (technically) ONE sentence!  And gibberish.

Rye puts out pretty stuff, but generally at higher prices than I'm willing to support, so I'm afraid I can't offer my own review.  Thanks for making me feel better about my parsimony, though.

As to the goings-on over at AJB, maybe "Miles" and "Mark Hazard" are two aliases for the same fellow.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

I think Mark Hazard maybe PPW306R, bearing in mind Miles' all round shirtiness both times.  PPW also goes under Donk, which may also be short for Donkey...!

I do hope all these characters are still in their teens.

#10 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Just went to Rye's site to see the price tag: a whopping $35US (!!!!).  But you may be interested to know (if you don't already) that your review is being used to promote the mag (book?) on that site.  Or at least your first three paragraphs, before you explain that actually reading the thing is an onerous chore.  (You're credited as "Simes – www.ajb007.co.uk", which may qualify as the first time a publisher has touted a "recommendation" based on a deleted post by a banned forum poster! :laugh: ).

#11 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Ha ha.  Excellent.

Promoters have been doing it for years; cherry picking the best words from reviews for their marketing.  I have no problem with Graham doing that.  Everyone has to make a living.  Good luck to him.

However, I hope it doesn't backfire if people head over there, as the person defending the full review is about as literate as the one being reviewed.

But, as ever, good luck to Graham.

#12 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi, Simon. I'm ggl007 on ajb and I had no idea about your personal history with "Miles". It sounds really childish and I liked your sincere thread about the book!

(I always had thought that Donk was Graham Rye himself! He's the one who tell us about Rye's publications. By the way, I have some of them and Rye knows how to write, so who would be ashamed to put his name on a book or to be hidden as "Mark Hazard"??)

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

Perhaps a sidenote away from the book in case here:

This episode shows what a tricky and demanding task the publishing business is. And what a tremendous job publishers and editors do on the most part. Ideally, books would be written with their aid and guidance, and published accordingly. Sadly, this is not the rule any more since readers then would have to pay much higher prices. It's never been easier to become a published author today - but likewise it's never been easier to throw away months or even years of hard work with a single mouse click.

I strongly urge any aspiring writer: DO invest in an editor, DO hire some beta-readers. Rework and rewrite. And then put it through the works again.

It almost always pays, if only to know you did the best you could.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Hi ggl.

I don't think Graham is collecting anymore, so I doubt very much he is Donk(ey).  And as you say, Graham's writing is fine, which does lead one to wonder how this Gun book authorship got through.

As for the way it ended at AJB, as you can see, I doubt my last post was delete-worthy.  And as for the review (in part) being used to promote the product, I wonder if the irony is lost on Miles.  As David above was alluding to.

Oh well.  Please don't let my thoughts put anyone off.  Have a read and see what you all think.

#15 Matt Sherman

Matt Sherman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

I happened to be looking through this magazine issue a few moments ago. It is AWESOME. Yes, the text bogs down a bit in some places, but there's a lot of it.

It is comprehensive, accurate, definitive--and would have saved certain fans thousands of dollars bidding on phony Bond gun auctions.

A must have.