• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

Either way, I think Bond 25 will be a long game.

I put my money on 2019 with new Bond actor.

#92 0024

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Personally, I'd rather Mendes not return. I thought SP was mostly a lifeless mess with a few high points, one being Daniel's performance. I really do not want Newman to return. He does not "get" Bond at all in my book.

This is my understanding as well.

#93 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5373 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Just to be clear on this: there is up to now no solid information supporting a return of Mendes, merely the fact he dropped out of a lined up project. This may mean a thousand different things, none of them necessarily connected to Bond.

#94 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

He dropped it because a documentary covering the same subject was released and made the film redundant. Mendes returning to Bond was added by tabloids who thought "film dropped due to documentary" is not as interesting as "Mendes returning to Bond?"

#95 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5373 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

Just so.

#96 KHergerscheimer

KHergerscheimer

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Any guesses on what Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes' idea might be for B25? I know they toyed with putting Irma Bunt in SPECTRE, perhaps the story involves introducing that character? Could also tie in elements of YOLT the novel, would love to see Shatterhand finally make it to the screen.

#97 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1402 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

...Could also tie in elements of YOLT the novel, would love to see Shatterhand finally make it to the screen.

The thunder may have been stolen on that front. P&W's action-spy script for The Avenging Silence  is being made by Nicholas Winding Refn.

It's set in Japan, involves spys and a crazy villain as well as doubtless being a little 'trippy' and rediculously violent, since it's Refn.

Refn has had some stick lately for his overtly artistic indulgences, but when he's given a more traditional framework he's an outstanding filmmaker (eg. Drive).

I'm not a fan of P&W's hackneyed Bond scripts, but that kind of by-the-numbers screenwriting may be just the ticket to give Refn something tangible to adhere to and hang his obsessions on in the shoot and the edit.

If he does get the art/storytelling balance right on this movie, as he did with Drive, it'll be a hit, making news of Eon producing a new version of YOLT (probably entitled Shatterhand  for a little distance from Connery's version) seem a little old hat with big Refn shoes to fill. A shame because Shatterhand  is obviously the right direction for Craig's next, likely final instalment.

I'd wager that this P&W script is something Eon rejected as an adaptation of YOLT; they've reworked it for Refn letting rip with the violence and existentialism. Hopefully for them those blinkers being removed will allow them to finally blossom as nuanced, interesting writers.

#98 KHergerscheimer

KHergerscheimer

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Fascinating, wasn't aware of that, great build. Shame about Shatterhand, think all Bond nerds would really love that to happen, and gotta believe Mendes and Craig fall into that camp. Next best thing would be a Colonel Sun adaption or a riff off of Per Fine Ounce, although the former would have to go out of its way not to offend China (not to mention its material has been used extensively in other films) and the later only has fragments of a story "approved by Fleming" but never published. Anyway, let's hope they delight us with something that works for mainstream audiences but also delights true Bond geeks.

#99 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

...Could also tie in elements of YOLT the novel, would love to see Shatterhand finally make it to the screen.

The thunder may have been stolen on that front. P&W's action-spy script for The Avenging Silence  is being made by Nicholas Winding Refn.

It's set in Japan, involves spys and a crazy villain as well as doubtless being a little 'trippy' and rediculously violent, since it's Refn.

Refn has had some stick lately for his overtly artistic indulgences, but when he's given a more traditional framework he's an outstanding filmmaker (eg. Drive).

I'm not a fan of P&W's hackneyed Bond scripts, but that kind of by-the-numbers screenwriting may be just the ticket to give Refn something tangible to adhere to and hang his obsessions on in the shoot and the edit.

If he does get the art/storytelling balance right on this movie, as he did with Drive, it'll be a hit, making news of Eon producing a new version of YOLT (probably entitled Shatterhand  for a little distance from Connery's version) seem a little old hat with big Refn shoes to fill. A shame because Shatterhand  is obviously the right direction for Craig's next, likely final instalment.

I'd wager that this P&W script is something Eon rejected as an adaptation of YOLT; they've reworked it for Refn letting rip with the violence and existentialism. Hopefully for them those blinkers being removed will allow them to finally blossom as nuanced, interesting writers.

Interesting.  Haven´t read anything about that P&W script and Refn´s involvement.  Do you have any more intel on that?

It´s clear, however, that any script that P&W have written for EON will be owned by EON automatically and therefore cannot be reworked for another production company - unless P&W wrote it on spec and only showed it to EON.  But it´s unlikely that P&W wrote anything similar to Fleming´s story because that would trigger a copyright violation suit.  Just setting it in Japan and having a crazy villain neither makes it too Flemingian nor too close for BOND 25 to follow the YOLT template.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users