9 replies to this topic

#1 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

I don't know why Steve Cole is writing these books, I really don't. This is ALMOST as dull as a Raymond Benson movie novelization. It's like this guy doesn't know anything about Our Man at all.

When this book started I actually thought it might be better than the last one Cole did, but it just gets worse. It just takes bits and pieces from all other books, mashes them together and produces something PAINFULLY dull.

With Charlie Higson's books my eyes were glued to the page. With Cole's books I'm so distracted by wondering what the weather is like outside - that I realise I haven't taken WHOLE chapters in and need to reread chunks of the books again.

Please come back Charlie Higson... all is forgiven. 

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

Did they actually do a second? My...

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

A third is also coming.

#4 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Yes, Heads You Die is not as good as Higson's work, but it's much better than Shoot to Kill. This novel is more mature on every aspect. The plot is good, interesting and believable. Finally there's life in main characters. Cole still have problem with the pace. There's to much action in this novel. Almost every chapter is built upon an action scene: Bond is either chasing someone or running away from someone or fighting someone.. And yes - it gets boring. Nevertheless, a good read. But not a masterpiece.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

My enthusiasm for Steve Cole's Young Bond franchise just isn't there. I think continuing on from By Royal Command was a mistake. I had an amazing time with Higson's five. They were top quality adventures and I will always rank them highly in the Bond canon. Yes, the story continues, but I felt like By Royal Command was a satisfactory conclusion and the concept had been done. Truthfully, Dynamite's Bond comics have me just as excited as Higson's heyday. They're doing wonders for the adult Bond, just as Higson's did wonders for the junior Bond.

#6 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:06 AM

I wonder if and when Cole (or his successor) deciedes to to write more mature stories. Young Bond formula can't continue forever. After all Bond is 14 or 15 in the novels and correct me if I'm wrong but it was said he lost his virginity at the age of 16. Then the Word War 2 started and he joined the Navy..
That's the story I'd like to read.

As for Dynamite comic books. I was very disappointed with VARGR, but still looking forward to reading Eidolon.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

Oh, technically they could milk this some more no doubt. In the end who cares if Young Bond has an adventure every other week before the war? Though I have trouble seeing these books sell enough copies to reward that many more new entries. I suppose within the next twelve months IFP may actually announce another 'adult' Bond novel.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

I suppose within the next twelve months IFP may actually announce another 'adult' Bond novel.

I hope they have the guts to bring back Anthony Horowitz, and set it in between the Fleming timeline again.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Probably only if his Trigger Mortis sold enough copies. Not sure that was the case outside the UK. From what you hear - without having access to hard figures - it didn't sound too well. Also, it would be a first for them to ask an author back since the days of Benson. Higson and Cole both supposedly had/have contracts running over a number of books. No such thing was hinted at with any of the other writers handing in adult adventures.

Personally I didn't care for Trigger Mortis. But if they want to give Horowitz a second chance they are welcome. Still I expect it will be somebody else this time; and possibly a woman.

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

It seems to me that the Book Bond is at the same crosscroads as the FIlm Bond: where to go now?

While the films will probably continue to bring in money the books clearly need a new approach to stay around.

My take: the continuing change of authors has not worked well.  Different styles and different timelines can´t build up awareness and interest in a way a single author could.  Maybe ending each book on a cliffhanger would help to at least get the audience for one book coming back for the next one.

Of course, a great plot and not some rehashed ideas of former Fleming works would be needed.

For my taste, the next author should really re-imagine Bond for our times.  Going back to the 60´s just makes it too clear that nobody can do what Fleming did.  

Still, re-imagining should not mean what Deaver did.  It´s not about changing Bond, it´s about imagining what Bond would be like today.  He still can have the same ideas and clash with changing morals and concepts.  But the main thing is: he should be great at his job and enjoying those missions.