9 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

Very interesting and insightful article on the Craig era in this month´s issue of CINEASTE.  

They only offer a preview on their website - but the magazine is worth buying for this article alone.

http://www.cineaste....rst-century-007

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for digging this up! The interesting thing here is that this already draws some kind of résumé under the Craig era. Seems like a number of people in the business consider Craig's time as 007 is already a wrap.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:33 AM

It probably is a combination of SPECTRE ending the way it does and Craig´s comments during that one interview (blown out of proportion), in addition to him signing on to that tv show... and, as I perceive it, a kind of oversaturation with Craig as Bond.  People seem to want to move on.  And since Craig has not stated anywhere that he wants to return (regardless what the next distributor thinks) it seems that it is time for a change.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

Yes, I can see that. I must admit it's not easy to see a direction for another Craig film that doesn't touch on topics we've already chewed before. I know some hope for at least a part of the YOLT adaptation - but would it really add to the tale when Craig's 007 already was missing-in-action/presumed-dead? And would any kind of plot that saw Madeleine die not strongly reek of a rehash of Vesper's death? For our purposes, the ideas of fans, these elements are often central to what we think future films should be about. But in the greater picture other considerations come into play and one feels a need for a bit of fresh air - regardless who is going to pick up the role in the next years. As a bookend SPECTRE is probably not what people expected from the end of Craig's tenure, but in a way fitting nonetheless.

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

Again, you´re pointing out what many are missing.  The wished for YOLT-adaptation would be "been there, done that" for Craig.  It only worked within the novels due to the many adventures that came before - just as Tracy being a second chance at love for Bond (or one could argue: his first, since the Vesper-love story in the novel is not that defined as in the movie version).

Maybe it all would have worked if Craig had done more than four films, and if these films had not already explored too much of what YOLT achieves.

While I love Craig as Bond and appreciate what he does in SPECTRE, I also have the feeling that he has done everything he could.  So maybe what he said in that interview was an honest statement: another film only would be for the money.

#6 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

The problem I think is that SPECTRE should have come right at the heels of QOS and concerned itself with Bond hunting down the people from the opera meeting, aided by Dench's successor. This could either lead to a direct confrontation with Spectre or just end in Bond and Dench-M foiling the scheme to take over the SIS and its counterparts; in any case it would tie Craig's first three films loosely without forcing too much retconning into the affair. After this SKYFALL would then open up the stage for further adventures with or without Craig, with or without Blofeld. This way I think it would all feel a bit smoother and Craig's last (if it is his last) would then have been a definite highlight.  

#7 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

Indeed, that would have been fantastic.  For me, the Craig era´s biggest problem is the lack of at least one, better two films between QOS and SF.

But, hey, every Bond era has at least one big missed opportunity...   So, tradition has won again.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for digging this up! The interesting thing here is that this already draws some kind of résumé under the Craig era. Seems like a number of people in the business consider Craig's time as 007 is already a wrap.

It's the silence since SPECTRE which is fuelling a lot of this. Craig has said nothing and cast members are being asked questions, which they can't definitively answer. I'm wanting one more Craig film. That would give me a better sense of closure, because it would feel like an abrupt end right now to be honest. And I love him in the role. But what will be will be.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

That silence is actually very telling itself. It seems Eon is perfectly fine with things taking their time and they feel no need to help MGM with window dressing for any deals they might want to make. It would be the easiest thing in the world to leave the odd comment about ,we're ready when you are,' there's no doubt it would at least help matters a bit along to know the team doing the actual work is ready for fresh deeds. No such thing...

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that EON has grown content with releasing a Bond film every 3 or 4... or even more years now.  They don´t need the money anymore, and they probably think: fewer Bond films will have audiences be more interested.

That last part might be true but it might also be a growing problem since Bond always has to be reestablished with the next generation instead of having younger ones just be drawn in by their parents or older siblings quite naturally.

But that´s the way it is now, I´m afraid.  

On the other hand, I´m complaining on a message board... only seven months since the last Bond´s release... :rolleyes: