7 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

It's been a while since I read LALD/MR, but did Fleming write the exact worth of the treasure?

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

Not so far as I know.  We're told that "it must have been a vast hoard" (Chapter 16), and "the hell of a treasure . . . one of the most valuable treasure-troves in history" (Chapter 2).  Bond estimated that the value of treasure smuggled into the U.S. by each trip of Mr. Big's yacht was worth $150,000 (Chapter 15).  I may be missing something, but I don't think that a total value for the treasure was ever given by Fleming. 

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

Can't recall at the moment; I think a sum was mentioned, but not 'definite' mainly because that was not even known by then. Could have been twice the amount of coins in Morgan's treasure for all we know. Morgan was also Governor of Jamaica if memory serves, he could have looted and taxed to his heart's content.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Yes, Sir Henry Morgan was indeed governor of Jamaica for a time.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

Oh, see this only now. Great find, Major.

#6 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:37 AM

If I recall Moonraker there was a dispute over whom had the exact rights to it but never an exact amount. Thanks Major and Dustin. I was curious.

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Yes, in Chapter 2, M comments that "Looks as if we'll get that gold after all . . . . There's been some talk of the Hague Court, but Ashenheim's a fine lawyer." 

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

Yes, in Chapter 2, M comments that "Looks as if we'll get that gold after all . . . . There's been some talk of the Hague Court, but Ashenheim's a fine lawyer."

I'm guessing that the "Ashenheim" is Sir Neville Noel Ashenheim (18 December 1900 – 1 September 1984) a Jamaican businessman, lawyer, politician, and served as the first Jamaican Ambassador to the United States. He received a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II on 1 January 1963. Ashenheim served his post as ambassador until March 1967. This Ashenheim also seems to have been a chairman of the Jamaican newspaper the Daily Gleaner for 23 years, possibly from 1941-1964.

Here's pictures of him meeting JFK in 1962. http://www.jfklibrar...62-10-23-A.aspx