This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

PTS - Is it the first plan sequence that we see in a Bond film ?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

Just wondering...
Looks like that Mexico in the place for this kind of shot

#2 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

Yes. Everything else was improvised on the spot.

#3 Wronschien

Wronschien

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:33 AM

He means "long take", "plan-séquence" is the french term. And to answer the question I think it is, the longest one at least.

But it hardly could have been shot in one take. A bit of CGI helped the process probably, very well crafted actually and not noticeable except that you know it can't be done physically ! Or maybe whith a drone… even then this seems quite difficult to perform.

Edited by Wronschien, 14 November 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#4 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

He means "long take", "plan-séquence" is the french term. And to answer the question I think it is, the longest one at least.

But it hardly could have been shot in one take. A bit of CGI helped the process probably, very well crafted actually and not noticeable except that you know it can't be done physically ! Or maybe whith a drone… even then this seems quite difficult to perform.

ah. Forgive my snarky response!

I think they said there were 4 cuts... in any case, the location changes 3 times (one time it changes countries)... so there were real cuts... but it was very cleverly done.

#5 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:13 AM

Mendes said on the Charlie Rose show in the US that were 4 cuts, and a portion of that first 4minutes was filmed in Pinewood "for certain reasons" as he put it. And I've only put that in inverted commas as I think those were his exact words, rather than me attempted to add some other context to it.

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

The bits filmed at Pinewood were the bedroom interior and some of the rooftop (I have memories of an odd looking CGI chimney).

As for the cuts...
- entering the hotel when the camera lingers on a poster
- entering the hotel room as people pass in front of camera
- Bond climbing out the window

And one other!

#7 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:40 AM

Indeed. I thought for sure it was all just one shot like Orson Welles' magnificent opening to his 1958 film noir "Touch of Evil" with Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh:

#8 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea there were cuts (though admittedly I couldn't work out how they could have done that in one take). To my eyes it appears seamless until just after the camera zooms in on the window across from Bond. Remarkable!

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

Ah, I missed the 'entering the hotel room' cut, spotted the other two.  Am clueless as to where the fourth might be.

That said, and after two viewings, I am yet to see MGW's scene, so news of the fourth cut might not be coming from me...

#10 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

Indeed. I thought for sure it was all just one shot like Orson Welles' magnificent opening to his 1958 film noir "Touch of Evil" with Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh:
Orson Welles, genius.

#11 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

Indeed and already in Mexico.
Thanks for the precisions and I thought that 'Plan Sequence' was also working in English (sorry)

#12 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

It's like Rope by Hitchcock. There are edits, but they are concealed so cleverly that the entire film looks like one interrupted shot.

I loved the first shot of SP and this might be a candidate for "favorite camera shot in a Bond film".

#13 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, it's well done. The Bond theme playing once Bond takes off the skeleton mask was perfect, too. There's more going on in Skyfall's PTS, but I think the helicopter action makes SPECTRE's PTS superior.

#14 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, it's well done. The Bond theme playing once Bond takes off the skeleton mask was perfect, too. There's more going on in Skyfall's PTS, but I think the helicopter action makes SPECTRE's PTS superior.

The opening shot of Spectre is one of the greatest, I've ever seen in film. It's easily one of my favorite PTS's in the whole series.

#15 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I've only noticed three obvious joins each time I've seen it - really can't find that fourth one! Very cleverly done.

Spectre's PTS is quickly becoming my favourite in the whole series :)

It's definitely the longest shot in a Bond film, but probably not the longest take - there are quite a few long takes in Connery's films (the SPECTRE meeting in TB most obviously springs to mind) but they were often spliced with other shots for pacing and drama. Similar thing happened with that tracking shot of Lucia Sciarra in SP - two long takes of her walking through the house, from different angles, spliced together, but each as long as any pre-stitched stretch of the opening shot. So I guess I mean to say, it's up for debate ;)

#16 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Actually, having said that, there is the awkward whip-pan in the hotel room.

But if Craig walking through the window is also a stitch (which it looks like it is), then that's a really short take!

#17 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

But if Craig walking through the window is also a stitch (which it looks like it is), then that's a really short take!

That is what I was thinking. The whip-pan is one and then stepping thru the window is another but just going off memory.

#18 Blofelds Cat

Blofelds Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:36 AM

The bits filmed at Pinewood were the bedroom interior and some of the rooftop (I have memories of an odd looking CGI chimney).

As for the cuts...
- entering the hotel when the camera lingers on a poster
- entering the hotel room as people pass in front of camera
- Bond climbing out the window

And one other!

The 'one other' - the hitherto unspotted 'fourth' edit - is actually the second edit of the sequence and it occurs inside the lift/elevator as it is 'elevating' while on a two-shot of Bond and Babe. Of the four edits, this is the one which is, once you've spotted it, the most glaring of 'em all (a real 'stormtrooper' moment).

Edited by Blofelds Cat, 24 November 2015 - 06:39 AM.

#19 Blofelds Cat

Blofelds Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

That is what I was thinking. The whip-pan is one and then stepping thru the window is another but just going off memory.

Although the 'whip-pan' is the most obvious edit-point, I wonder if the edit is actually the brick/masonry of the wall which occupies all of the frame during the track from room interior to exterior. All will become 'clearer' in the official Blu-ray release.