This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

A Bondless PTS? (Big Big SPECTRE Spoilers)

24 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

I've been thinking about how this could be done and still be inventive and interesting. A Bondless PTS would be a bold move, and considering events that unfolded in SPECTRE, the opening to the next film could set a completely different tone and do something which hasn't been seen since Live and Let Die / The Man With The Golden Gun.

From what I gather with SPECTRE, for Bond to return to the service he needs a really good reason,

and It would be easier for them to open the next film with Madeline being killed, sending Bond into revenge mode and whilst I do think this is where Craigs Bond is heading, nothing would be able to beat a 15 minute PTS showing Blofeld escaping from MI6 custody and going after them. We could have the MI6 regulars trying and failing to catch him, setting up the premise for a Craig Bond Vs Blofeld stand off? I've really enjoyed all of Craigs opening sequences so far, and whilst I am confident that the PTS of SPECTRE can be topped (even though it was incredible), it would make sense to do something a little different the next time round. Waltz, Fiennes, Harris and Whishaw can all handle a big action scene without Mr Bond being on the scene, I'm confident of that. Plus, it gives the producers a big opportunity to see just how ruthless and clever Blofeld is without Bond there to save the moment.

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

I like it.
Spoiler

One other reason for this PTC;

Spoiler

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

It would be different and bold - but I must admit I do want to see Bond right from the start.

But what about this idea:

Spoiler

#4 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

They could begin the next one with Bond and Madeline in love and got married, not knowing Blofeld has escaped and ...well you all know what happened at the end of O.H.M.S.S.... and than the opening credits and after that you get the Y.O.L.T. Fleming stuff incl the Garden of Death. Would be a cool last Craig Bond movie.

Edited by Grard Bond, 01 November 2015 - 02:13 AM.

#5 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

well From Russia With Love PTS was Bondless....sort of.

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

It would be different and bold - but I must admit I do want to see Bond right from the start.

But what about this idea:

Spoiler

A few weeks ago I came up with something similar to your idea but;

Spoiler

#7 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Those are all fun ideas, but I would prefer something simpler. Here's my two cents:

Spoiler

#8 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

Those are all fun ideas, but I would prefer something simpler. Here's my two cents:

Spoiler

I like that idea as well. Ties in with that line of Mr White's from QoS - "The thing you should know about us is that we have people everywhere."

Spoiler

#9 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

Spoiler

I like that idea as well. Ties in with that line of Mr White's from QoS - "The thing you should know about us is that we have people everywhere."

Spoiler

Yes. Rather sad in a way, isn't it? That's one of the things I think is most interesting about Daniel Craig's run, the way his performance inspires almost schizophrenic feelings towards the main character: on the one hand, you want him to become 'The Bond We Know and Love' (a cold, flippant killer), and on the other hand, you root for the character to become human again and lead a more fulfilling life. It's an amazing feat that Bond movies have become so complex a viewing experience.

#10 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes. Rather sad in a way, isn't it? That's one of the things I think is most interesting about Daniel Craig's run, the way his performance inspires almost schizophrenic feelings towards the main character: on the one hand, you want him to become 'The Bond We Know and Love' (a cold, flippant killer), and on the other hand, you root for the character to become human again and lead a more fulfilling life. It's an amazing feat that Bond movies have become so complex a viewing experience.

I think the post 2002 films have taken their cue from the books as much as Daniel Craig. The Bond of the Ian Fleming novels had moments of doubt and self loathing - doing his duty but not always liking it and sometimes downright hating it, looking for an "out", except there isn't one.

Spoiler

#11 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi, everyone! I have to admit I do like the sound of a 'Bondless' PTS which involves Blofeld during some daring escape. I do think Craig will return for one more and the villain will be Blofeld (it has to be!!) but if Madeleine dying creates the basis for a revenge movie I'm not sure I would enjoy that.

Perhaps her character should be left to wander off into the sunset like many other Bond girls (Natalya Siminova, Stacy Sutton, Pussy Galore etc.) having enjoyed Bond being a part of their lives, but to return back to life without him and to leave us wondering about them. This way I feel that certain Bond girls are immortalised within the franchise, and Lea's character definitely deserves to be one of these girls. 

Also, I'm confident the writers will be able to think up a plot that doesn't surround a revenge story which IMO is a little overworked and relied upon... in Craigs era anyway. 

#12 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

I think this could work. Though, the one thing I'd like to see instead is

Spoiler

#13 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I think this could work. Though, the one thing I'd like to see instead is

Spoiler

I agree! It's kinda tiresome having them all die all the time, and I feel Madeleine would be a worthy survivor!

#14 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pre-title sequence from LALD is completely Bondless is it not?

#15 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pre-title sequence from LALD is completely Bondless is it not?

Apart from the gun barrel at the start you're right!

#16 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

The member who started this post pointed out in his first paragraph that a Bondless PTS has not been seen since LALD and TMWTGG.  Of course, when the Moore films broke with the "little tradition" they had displayed in the first two Moore films, they broke that tradition quite spectacularly, with Bond jumping off a perfectly good snowy mountain....before his parachute unfurled, with the Union Jack boldly displayed, transitioning to the Opening Credits.

As for killing off Madeline -- indeed, it would be quite repetitive.  Never mind the pre-Craig Bonds, since it's been rebooted.  It would be very repetitive with Craig's own films.  Moving on with Craig would require a highly imaginative script.  If Bond goes on without her, so that she lives, then what ?  They're through ?  Perhaps Blofeld attacks and thinks he's killed her, but nay, and she realizes once again she can't be in Bond's life ?  More heartbreak, more risk of repetition.  The ending we've just seen could well be Craig's Bond's -- here it comes and I do believe you'll enjoy this one -- swan song....

#17 JSDude1

JSDude1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

This is what I would like to see happen.   Make Ms. Swan the new "tracy bond" (even have tracy referenced by D. Craig's bond in a subtle way) like to state: "I was married once before" without actually mentioning Tracy Bond.

#18 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

Part of me want to see the girl killed off again. Perhaps they have a proper home in London with romance being shown in the first 2-3 minutes. Fun at home in a cool apartment, perhaps having dinner together - better still with Bond's good friend Tanner who we might find out was Bond's best man at their marriage and then let the carnage begin. 

But as others have observed this has been done several times. So maybe they can do it differently. I for one would like to see Swann back at the beginning of Spectre and not simply referenced that they broke up off camera.

If Bond is go after Blofeld, I want it to be more of a mission. Perhaps echoing the line used by M on Blofeld in OHMSS - "This department is not concerned with your personal problems." Have it focused on the mission with a dash of revenge. - Bond is back and this time it's less personal! 

#19 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

From what I gather with SPECTRE, for Bond to return to the service he needs a really good reason

I disagree with, he's just taking some overdue holiday.

#20 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

The member who started this post pointed out in his first paragraph that a Bondless PTS has not been seen since LALD and TMWTGG. 

Yes indeed!  I missed that.  Thanks for the correction!

#21 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Part of me want to see the girl killed off again. Perhaps they have a proper home in London with romance being shown in the first 2-3 minutes. Fun at home in a cool apartment, perhaps having dinner together - better still with Bond's good friend Tanner who we might find out was Bond's best man at their marriage and then let the carnage begin. 

But as others have observed this has been done several times. So maybe they can do it differently. I for one would like to see Swann back at the beginning of Spectre and not simply referenced that they broke up off camera.

If Bond is go after Blofeld, I want it to be more of a mission. Perhaps echoing the line used by M on Blofeld in OHMSS - "This department is not concerned with your personal problems." Have it focused on the mission with a dash of revenge. - Bond is back and this time it's less personal! 

This time, it's professional!

#22 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:55 AM

If Bond is go after Blofeld, I want it to be more of a mission. Perhaps echoing the line used by M on Blofeld in OHMSS - "This department is not concerned with your personal problems." Have it focused on the mission with a dash of revenge. - Bond is back and this time it's less personal! [/size]

They should really use that as the tagline for the next one, or whenever we actually get around to a non-personal story.

#23 ALH

ALH

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:31 AM

Bond 25 PTS:

CCTV: image titled Heathrow-Long term parking.  An Aston Martin DB5 leaves a parking space.

Q:"We don't know which flight he came in on, but he's back.  Tracked him all the way here.  He came in the front door and asked to speak to 'M'."

M:"Has anyone asked him if he knows about Blofeld's escape a month ago?"

Tanner:"He will not speak to anyone but you.  That's all he says."

M:"That's odd!  Has he been scanned?"

Q:"No known weapons, but he's a double-o, he wouldn't need one."

M:"Right, I'll go see him.'

M walks into an interrogation room, he recognizes Bond, even if we don't.  (Craig or new bond.)

007:"My brother tells me that you are responsible for the deaths of thousands.  You are a murderer and you deserve to die!"

M:"You are mistaken."

Bond attacks M, which fills the room with agents.

As Bond is subdued and M leaves the room he orders. "Blofeld's sent him to kill us, tell medical to get Bond back.  Tanner, We'll send him after Blofeld"

Main title.

Edited by ALH, 11 November 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#24 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:04 AM

If Bond is go after Blofeld, I want it to be more of a mission. Perhaps echoing the line used by M on Blofeld in OHMSS - "This department is not concerned with your personal problems." Have it focused on the mission with a dash of revenge. - Bond is back and this time it's less personal! [/size]

They should really use that as the tagline for the next one, or whenever we actually get around to a non-personal story.

Thanks, tdalton.  I was actually thinking of you when I wrote it! :)

#25 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:36 AM

Thanks, tdalton.  I was actually thinking of you when I wrote it! :)

:D

They could do a poster spoofing the one for Jaws: The Revenge, with Bond standing on a boat while a giant octopus emerges from the ocean, with the "This time...it's professional" featured somewhat prominently.