32 replies to this topic

#1 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hinx will be a henchman in the new film, and Jinx was an ally, another good-guy, oops, good-gal agent.  The names are q-u-i-t-e close, though.  Seems not to be an homage, but, again, the names are very close.

Just an oddity ?  Like having the same, time-warping actor play two wildly different roles, two Connery Bonds in a row ?  The same actress portray two different parts 4 Moore Bonds apart ?  Two villains whose names both end in "-anga" two Moore Bonds in a row ?

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

I don't expect there's any link at all, but I am intrigued by why they would choose such a similar name.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'd say one thing for sure even now. I'd take Hinx anyday. Anything to get the taste of Jinx out of my mouth. 13 years later i'm still healing.

Edited by DamnCoffee, 19 October 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

I don't expect there's any link at all, but I am intrigued by why they would choose such a similar name.

Indeed.

However, Bautista and Berry don´t look that similar. 

Although... both their names do start with a "B".  And Barbara Broccoli... double "B"...  hmmm...

#5 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

...references to taste, mouth and, though indirectly, Ms. Berry...oh, now I'm all distracted...

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Sour Berries.

#7 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:51 PM

I must confess when I heard that the new henchman was called "Mr Hinx" my first thought wasn't Halle Berry at all - rather a certain cartoon cat called "Mr Jinks" who terrorised two cartoon mice named "Pixie" and "Dixie". ;-)

#8 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Incidentally, on googling the word "Hinx" all I've found thus far - apart from Dave Bautista's character - is reference to a commune in south western France named "Hinx".

Maybe the screenwriters came up with the name in a similar way to Ian Fleming finding the name "James Bond" - they were scrabbling around for a name and someone remembered a place in France they had visited? Hence "Hinx"?

#9 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

Don't like it! It's too close to Jinx and is meaningless!

Couldn't they have plundered Fleming's SPY WHO LOVED ME rather than OCTOPUSSY while looking for inspiration and named him Horror? It's not too late to re-dub the movie!

#10 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Couldn't they have plundered Fleming's SPY WHO LOVED ME rather than OCTOPUSSY while looking for inspiration and named him Horror? It's not too late to re-dub the movie!

That might not have been a bad idea - Sol Horowitz aka "Horror" - but for one thing. Wasn't it the case that Ian Fleming stipulated that only the title of The Spy Who Loved Me and no other parts thereof except Bond could be used on film? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember that being said at the time TSWLM was being produced.

#11 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

I imagine they're both great to watch, just in entirely different ways.

#12 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Uhhh, no.

#13 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

It is too late, by the way.  It premiers in Mexico for The Day of the Dead and the UK right about the same time !  It seems some members of the press may already have seen it.  Furthermore, so much advance publicity has featured Mr. Bautista discussing the character he plays, referred to clearly as Hinx.

I am sure this has nothing to do with Jinx, and will stand distinctly on its own.  Like others, I just thought it rather coincidentally similar.

#14 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hinx and Jinx. That stinks

#15 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

And, bearing in mind what they did with Fields in QOS, it'll be revealed in the end titles that his first name is Jar-Jar.

#16 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Major Tallon !  Your ID should be "major talent" !  THAT was funny, madam or sir !  Particularly with the soon-to-be-released new Star Wars movie very soon to be released...

#17 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hinx is a dog's name! Might as well call the next henchman Lunch and give him a bandana to wear around his neck!

What's next? Helektra Hing? Hesper Hynd?

Why not The Robber? McThing? Krebs? Von Hammerstein? Come on Eon!

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

You´re a funny guy.

#19 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

Pierceuhhh has a point. There are still some characters from original Fleming material - girls, villains, others - whose names have yet to be used.

We've speculated about "Shatterhand" as the name of the villain and the title for Bond 25. But other characters remain, if not as titular characters but as ones who could be used.

Among the women - Gala Brand (MR), Mary Ann Russell (FAVTAK - short story) and Bond's secretary Loelia Ponsonby.

Villains - Von Hammerstein, Willy Krebs, and The Spang Brothers, to say nothing of all those exotically named gangsters in TMWTGG and the KGB's Mr Hendricks.

Others - Fidele Barbey (Hilderbrand Rarity), Nick Nicholson (TMWTGG) and in the reboot era I'd love to see Richard Lovelace Henderson brought to the screen as the Aussie character from YOLT. Maybe if Bond 25 is an attempt to tell the YOLT from the book story we will see him too.

#20 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Perhaps the producers are starting a trend...more "-inx" characaters to come ?  Linx, Minx, Pinx (to be portrayed by the singer Pink, of course), Winx (villain or henchman with an eye twitch ?), Rinx (ex hockey player), Sinx (drowns people to death)...or...wwwwaaaiiit a minute !  How could I have missed this for so long ?  OK.  The roots of this go far, far back.  Anyone remember the beautiful lady massaging Bond at a poolside cabana in Miami Beach ?  Sure, the spelling was different, but the root of this may have been found !  That's right -- Dink !

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Perhaps the producers are starting a trend...more "-inx" characaters to come ?  Linx, Minx, Pinx (to be portrayed by the singer Pink, of course), Winx (villain or henchman with an eye twitch ?), Rinx (ex hockey player), Sinx (drowns people to death)...or...wwwwaaaiiit a minute !  How could I have missed this for so long ?  OK.  The roots of this go far, far back.  Anyone remember the beautiful lady massaging Bond at a poolside cabana in Miami Beach ?  Sure, the spelling was different, but the root of this may have been found !  That's right -- Dink !

An assassin based on a golf course - preferred weapon a specially adapted club. Name - "Linx" (think about it!)

A henchman who seems permanently inebriated but when he gets to the "you're my best mate, you are" bit and puts his arm round you he has a concealed knife in your back. Known as "Drinx"

An enigmatic looking henchman based in Cairo - known to all as Sphinx.

Q's opposite number in SPECTRE - known in the hollowed out volcano as "Thinx".

A contortionist henchman who has the ability to squeeze into tight spots, nooks and crannies - aka "Shrinx"

A henchman whose preferred method of killing is to push people off cliffs - known in the underworld as "Brinx".

#22 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

I bow to you, for your mastery of the name-game !  There I was, a simpleton, using single letters before the "-inx", while you made that leap to multiple letters.  I am not worthy...

#23 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

I bow to you, for your mastery of the name-game !  There I was, a simpleton, using single letters before the "-inx", while you made that leap to multiple letters.  I am not worthy...

No, I liked your suggestions earlier, plus Dink from GF, and you did say "inx" was the character link ("linx"?)

I had a spare few minutes between work and my other duties and these ideas sprang to mind - I really should get out more! ;-)

#24 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Oh, no, no, yours are finer, more sophisticated, more debonair and suave.  I could only think of ideas such as "Finx", a character who turns out to be a traitorous rat.

As for "Drinx", though, I think that part might already have been cast and portrayed !  Have you seen the Heineken tv commercial with Mr. Craig driving the boat with a lovely lady water-skiing who grabs a couple cold ones for the two of them ?  Perhaps she be "Drinx", methinx ?

#25 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

Oh, no, no, yours are finer, more sophisticated, more debonair and suave.  I could only think of ideas such as "Finx", a character who turns out to be a traitorous rat.
As for "Drinx", though, I think that part might already have been cast and portrayed !  Have you seen the Heineken tv commercial with Mr. Craig driving the boat with a lovely lady water-skiing who grabs a couple cold ones for the two of them ?  Perhaps she be "Drinx", methinx ?

Thank you indeed. Yes I've seen the ad.

One more - not a henchman though. Rather, the places where henchmen who actually survive a Bond encounter but fall foul of the law end up - jails, or to put it another way - "Clinx" ;-)

#26 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

OK, with all the rhymes, I think we're ready to prepare a Seussian script for a Bond flick.  Or....They've already gone into "Young Bond", so, how about "Very Young Bond", as in toddler-who'd-have-Seuss read to him ?  The books of Dr. Seuss were not around when Bond was a wee lad, but, if any series of books and films has managed to adeptly address and/or avoid such issues when setting stories in the present or the past, it's Bond  !

Bond would be VERY particular about the precisely correct manner of preparation of his green eggs and ham, of course, perhaps with caviar on the side (cue the baby beluga children's song for the soundtrack).

Of course, the Grinch would turn out to be....he who also became known as Number One, Dr. Shatterhand, etc.  "You're a mean one, Number One !" could be the song for a toddler poddy training cartoon.

I will avoid a discussion of Whoville, since that would steer this discussion headlong into the realm of another long-running, wildly popular British hero with time-travelling and actor-changes quite built into the stories...

#27 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

To think (thinx?) - I was brought up on "Green Eggs & Ham" ;-))

#28 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Oooooh they both look so similar too, I'll never be able to tell the difference.

#29 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'd guess that what links the names is a lack of imagination.

#30 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Don't forget, so far Bautista is most famous for playing a character named "Drax."  So everything is somehow connected to everything else, if we look deeply enough.  Cue the "X-Files" theme...

Personally, I'd be tickled if someone brought up the Jinx/Hinx similarity to the producers and they said, "What do you mean?  What's DAD?"  Maybe they're on board with my plan to pretend that film never existed.  That way...tada! There's no "similarity" to worry about.