#181 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:05 AM

I agree with 2 points here:-

The first is that yes, my initial reaction watching SPECTRE at the cinema was that they left the ending to leave it open for a Craig return or a new actor. I've always believed that. I also said way back in 2008 that Daniel Craig would leave after 3 movies, and I was shot down at the time, and even though I was proved wrong, as he's done another one, I wouldn't be surprised if now is the time.

The second point is that if they announce a new distributor and a huge amount of money became available and they got Daniel back and announced it was going to be his spectacular last hurrah, I know there would be excitement, and I know I would love it!  :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#182 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

They could have also cut down on the budget by not spending the cash to hire a double-Oscar winning actor to play Blofeld and then only feature him for about 15 minutes in a 148 minute film.  

Featuring him in more scenes, however, would have been much more expensive.  Actors are usually paid for shooting days - so maybe even that was a consideration.

#183 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

They could have also cut down on the budget by not spending the cash to hire a double-Oscar winning actor to play Blofeld and then only feature him for about 15 minutes in a 148 minute film.  

Featuring him in more scenes, however, would have been much more expensive.  Actors are usually paid for shooting days - so maybe even that was a consideration.

Of course, which is why someone else should have been cast.  Instead of getting a reprise of Hans Landa, we could have gotten Ernst Stavro Blofeld featured in more scenes and, perhaps, with a bit of menace.

When the entire storyline has supposedly been building to this film and this villain, with all of the personal hell that he's supposedly put Bond through (and with it possibly being the finale for this era of Bond films), the villain "responsible" for it all has to feature for more than three scenes.  The way the Blofeld character is constructed and worked into this era of Bond films is one of the dumbest pieces of screenwriting to come around in a while.

Edited by tdalton, 01 March 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#184 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Of course, which is why someone else should have been cast.  Instead of getting a reprise of Hans Landa, we could have gotten Ernst Stavro Blofeld featured in more scenes and, perhaps, with a bit of menace.

When the entire storyline has supposedly been building to this film and this villain, with all of the personal hell that he's supposedly put Bond through (and with it possibly being the finale for this era of Bond films), the villain "responsible" for it all has to feature for more than three scenes.  The way the Blofeld character is constructed and worked into this era of Bond films is one of the dumbest pieces of screenwriting to come around in a while.

More likely Mendes should have imagined a scenario where - shock! horror! - the villain can be in more, shorter scenes, and the film doesn't have to be presented solely from Bond and MI6's perspective.

It just about worked in SF. Doesn't work in SP.

I agree with 2 points here:-

The first is that yes, my initial reaction watching SPECTRE at the cinema was that they left the ending to leave it open for a Craig return or a new actor. I've always believed that. I also said way back in 2008 that Daniel Craig would leave after 3 movies, and I was shot down at the time, and even though I was proved wrong, as he's done another one, I wouldn't be surprised if now is the time.

The second point is that if they announce a new distributor and a huge amount of money became available and they got Daniel back and announced it was going to be his spectacular last hurrah, I know there would be excitement, and I know I would love it!  :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would also be very excited!

#185 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

If the search for a new Bond is on Idris Elba might be out of the running - news broke today he definitely will start work on THE DARK TOWER, and if that becomes successful he will be busy doing the sequels.

Pity, actually - since I watched him in several films and series during the last weeks and became convinced he would not only be a great Bond but also give the series some needed relevance in times like these.

#186 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Indeed, but even if he were available, he'd have a short tenure given his age.

#187 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Should we merge the two "Will-he-be-back?" threads?

EDIT: topics merged

#188 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:13 PM

Indeed, but even if he were available, he'd have a short tenure given his age.

Yep, he won't even be considered because he is far too old already.

#189 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:08 AM

It wasn't going to be Elba anyway, as already stated.  At most, you'd get 2 films out of him if Craig were to drop out of the role today.  

#190 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

I'm selfish, I want Craig to do another one even if he is horrible pain. He's my #1 and I know I'll have a hard time with a new actor.

Seriously though, I guess I'd be OK either way. I'd prefer Craig without Mendes for one more. But, que sera, sera....

What if (and this is indeed a dead horse I am beating) what if Elba were to do one Bond only? It would be a conscious one-off and would finally placate all the fans who are clamoring for him.

#191 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'm selfish, I want Craig to do another one even if he is horrible pain. He's my #1 and I know I'll have a hard time with a new actor.

Seriously though, I guess I'd be OK either way. I'd prefer Craig without Mendes for one more. But, que sera, sera....

What if (and this is indeed a dead horse I am beating) what if Elba were to do one Bond only? It would be a conscious one-off and would finally placate all the fans who are clamoring for him.

I'd be sad to see an actor like Elba used just once. As a rule of thumb, I think any actors taking on the Bond cannon should be signed to commit to a series of films. I just don't know how much can be achieved with just one film. The actor would just be a 'place hold Bond' until the next one arrived and completed 3/4/5 movies.  

#192 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

I'd be sad to see an actor like Elba used just once. As a rule of thumb, I think any actors taking on the Bond cannon should be signed to commit to a series of films. I just don't know how much can be achieved with just one film. The actor would just be a 'place hold Bond' until the next one arrived and completed 3/4/5 movies.  

Pretty sure EON will always sign their new actors up for multiple films - at least two, if not three.

And if they only signed Elba for a one-off, they'd probably invite more accusations of racism than they'd fend off!

#193 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

Pretty sure EON will always sign their new actors up for multiple films - at least two, if not three.

And if they only signed Elba for a one-off, they'd probably invite more accusations of racism than they'd fend off!

Very true, particularly with the recent scrutiny the Oscars have faced!

#194 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

3 films with first refusal on a fourth is what Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig had when they initially signed. Other circumstances can make this no longer valid (Dalton) or they can get their contract amended (Craig who later signed for a further one and first refusal on another - which is where we are now) Moore and Brosnan filled it out to the letter with Moore signing on film by film basis after that, and obviously they went in a different direction after Brosnan fulfilled his contract (though Brosnan did say several times he'd like to have a fifth then finish)

I imagine any future actors would have the same.

#195 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

It wasn't going to be Elba anyway, as already stated.  At most, you'd get 2 films out of him if Craig were to drop out of the role today.  

this

If he was younger, I guess Eon would try and hire him. It just seems like something they would do I believe. 

But right now, his age doesn't help his case, and something tells me he would refuse anyway.

#196 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:37 AM

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that Jesper Christensen (Mr White) also had harsh words to say about the Bond movies he worked on after QOS. Remember this?

http://whatculture.c...christensen.php

But he was enticed back for SPECTRE with a bit of money!