Horowitz: Pussy Galore is a lesbian

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vahan1987

Vahan1987

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:21 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215620/For-girls-eyes-New-Bond-author-confirms-ladykiller-007-s-worst-fears-Pussy-Galore-lesbian.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I like how some people are complaining about this being another example of Hollywood political correctness, ignoring the fact that that was how the character was originally written.

Edited by Vahan1987, 30 August 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

The Daily Mail.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

Oh dear, our lcae curtain twitching middle brow press at it again. I've just read the article and it's clear that the writer hasn't realised that Pussy Galore as a lesbian is old news, from way back when the book Goldfinger was published. I think this journalist has just viewed the film GF, spotted the line about Pussy being "immune" to Bond's charms and had a Larry Lightbulb moment on reading the new Horowitz book - "so that's what she meant!"

Still, if it generates publicity for "Trigger Mortis".... maybe the book should be sold with a free or reduced rate copy of GF thrown in. New Bond readers can then dip into the Fleming novel, read the bits about Miss Galore and discover that theres nothing new there.

#4 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Oh dear, our lcae curtain twitching middle brow press at it again. I've just read the article and it's clear that the writer hasn't realised that Pussy Galore as a lesbian is old news, from way back when the book Goldfinger was published. I think this journalist has just viewed the film GF, spotted the line about Pussy being "immune" to Bond's charms and had a Larry Lightbulb moment on reading the new Horowitz book - "so that's what she meant!"

Still, if it generates publicity for "Trigger Mortis".... maybe the book should be sold with a free or reduced rate copy of GF thrown in. New Bond readers can then dip into the Fleming novel, read the bits about Miss Galore and discover that theres nothing new there.

Well they have released a new copy of Goldfinger which includes an extract of Trigger Mortis just to tie in, so halfway there :-)

#5 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

After the disaster that was SOLO, I'm highly cautious. I'm not really liking his attitude in some of the article but I'm hoping he's not as boastful or as arrogant as Boyd was. 

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

Anthony Horowitz comes to the Bond table having created his own spy/adventure series, but respectful of Ian Fleming and James Bond, from what I can see. That may not be too bad a place to start writing a new Bond novel.

Revisiting the Faulks, Deaver and Boyd novels the second time around last year, I actually liked them better, but to me they still seemed like Bond novels "written in the style of" rather than a Bond adventure written by a famous author. Maybe that has been the idea all along.

Perhaps this new book will show the author resisting the urge to add typical touches of his own and trying to get a feel of a typical Fleming novel, without slavishly carbon copying.

One thing the new book has going for it - timing, release just over a month before a new Bond film, with all the attendant paraphenalia in the media, and of course in bookshops.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

It's publicity so it's hard to be too upset, but it's a bit of a sad statement on the Mail (as if there need to be any more) that they see homosexuality as so shocking that this becomes a story in its own right. In fact, it's hard to imagine a more trivial or uninteresting story, even as a Bond fan. A fictional character created fifty years ago is homosexual. That's it.