This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Man with the Golden Gun - Q trick camera cut scene?

12 replies to this topic

#1 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:17 AM

I was just curious if anyone knows more about this cut scene from golden gun? The camera has a lot of features but did not actually take photos.

http://static1.squar.../1403780257675/

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

Interesting. It clearly looks like there's a signalling device in the camera, so perhaps later on in production they decided that Bond should signal Quarrel with the hair/clothes bush instead.

Mind you, I've always been lead to believe that the gadget scene with Q was shot last so that whatever was used during production would be included for continuity sake.

Still, I can't say I've ever seen that pic before now.

PS:

Hmmm.

A Google search threw up this page from The Guardian dated 2012, with the caption of that same photo referring to "a camera rocket launcher."

http://www.theguardi...ts-william-boyd

First the mysterious use of an ack-ack gun in the poster, now this rocket launching camera. I see a pattern.  :P

#3 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

Here is a portion of the script from the deleted scene:

Bond:  "And, one day not terribly long from now, instead of using this camera, we will take pictures using a handheld portable wireless telephone device !  In fact...[Bond pauses, looks around room...EVERYTHING going on in this room will be done using that telephone !"

Q:  "And I have no doubt you will destroy those handheld portable wireless telephone devices like a child breaking their toys, Double-O Seven !"

Bond:  [Smiling at Q] "Well, I certainly would not want to disappoint you, Q.  Besides, if I do not destroy the amazing gadgets you provide, you would not have enough reason to invent new and better ones !"

Q:  [Walks off in a huff]

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Interesting. It clearly looks like there's a signalling device in the camera, so perhaps later on in production they decided that Bond should signal Quarrel with the hair/clothes bush instead...

First the mysterious use of an ack-ack gun in the poster, now this rocket launching camera. I see a pattern.  :P

I don't get your point.

The photo of Moore with the camera is from TMWTGG (James Cossins as Colthorpe is visible in the background).

I take it the ack-ack gun you're referring to was the Coast Guard deck gun Moore posed behind while filming the end of the boat chase in LALD. I've also seen a picture of Moore grappling with Tommy Lane in Billy Bob's boat, so I conclude that there were several conclusions to the chase considered, including Bond blowing Adam out of the water.

If you want to see the hairbrush/radio again, it appeared in an episode of Doctor Who in 1974, as did several anti-shark guns later that season.

#5 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

Do we know who either of the gentleman to Roger's left and right are?  They don't look like employees of Q's lab, so I'm guessing they're either involved behind-the-scenes or perhaps some sort of VIP guests on the set.  With the visible mic and stage ceiling, this obviously isn't a film trim (though it's possible it was snapped while the film cameras were rolling) so I don't know that it's safe to call it a "deleted scene."

Is it possible this had to do with a product endorsement, or placement?  Maybe these guys are at Pinewood pitching a camera-related gadget for inclusion in this or a later film?  For that matter, maybe it's a gadget that was on the market already and Roger's being photographed with it for promotional purposes?

In fact, it could just be a dummy prop that does nothing, and is just there to make Q's lab look like there are things "in the works."  And Roger just picked it up to have something to hold in the picture.  Or because it gave him an idea for a gag (those guys seem amused).  

Just because the Guardian pronounced it a "rocket launcher" doesn't mean it was one.

Edited by David_M, 13 August 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Interesting. It clearly looks like there's a signalling device in the camera, so perhaps later on in production they decided that Bond should signal Quarrel with the hair/clothes bush instead...

I don't get your point.

The photo of Moore with the camera is from TMWTGG (James Cossins as Colthorpe is visible in the background).

I take it the ack-ack gun you're referring to was the Coast Guard deck gun Moore posed behind while filming the end of the boat chase in LALD. I've also seen a picture of Moore grappling with Tommy Lane in Billy Bob's boat, so I conclude that there were several conclusions to the chase considered, including Bond blowing Adam out of the water.

If you want to see the hairbrush/radio again, it appeared in an episode of Doctor Who in 1974, as did several anti-shark guns later that season.

I did spot this in the first episode of Blakes 7 :) 

blakewiththegoldengun_zps3719e59d.jpg

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

Takes a minute, but nice catch!

#8 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:25 AM

We have a true mystery on our hands! Where is the script of he camera scene?

#9 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

In the publicity photo posted above, Roger Moore is holding the prop camera that was apparently responsible for blowing the hole in the brick wall in the background while Bond. Q and Colthorpe discuss the golden bullet under the microscope. The other two men in the foreground are clearly journalists eager to be photographed with The Man.

Just because someone says 'cut scene' doesn't make it so.

We don't have to take everything so literally.

#10 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

I don't get your point.

I did spot this in the first episode of Blakes 7 :)

blakewiththegoldengun_zps3719e59d.jpg

Great catch! And B7 didn't air until 1978 - where do they keep this stuff??

#11 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

BBC Central Props.

#12 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Always been curious about the pic in the link below. Think its a publicity shot rather than a deleted scene:

http://bloodandporri...4/TMWTGG-RM.jpg

#13 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Somewhere in the depths of the internet there's a rundown of TMWTGG's deleted scenes. I think Bond originally visited a fat prostitute and used his rocket camera somehow. This scene was rewritten as the visit to Saida, and the camera idea survived only as a background gag.

Would love to see the original (and filmed!) Bond vs Scaramanga duel, complete with thermos bomb, dead seagull flinging and Scaramanga fashioning a scarecrow out of his clothes and seaweed. You can see a bit in the trailer on the Blu Ray. That final duel needed fleshing out IMO