25 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

What possible reason could he have to go that isn't just another Moonraker/The Spy Who Loved Me? I actually really like the idea of Craig in a space suit, fighting in a space station, I just can't imagine what he could be stopping.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

I just can't see a credible reason he would up there. Maybe once commercial space flight takes hold, they would get Bond on one of them. In fact, that seems an inevitably - particularly given EON's links to Virgin.

#3 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

It's only a matter of time before we get another "insane" Bond movie and then Houston, we have problem.  But with all these comic book movies ruling the roost these days, I think Bond will keep getting nuttier before he gets "more grounded in reality" again. 

Why would he go into space?  Just make something up.  Maybe some kind of internet satellite is being hijacked by an intergalactic madman and only Bond can stop him!  Maybe there's a biochemical missile in space ready to kill us all and Bond must take the next rocket up to stop it!  Oh wait, that's not personal enough.  Maybe Darth Vader shows up and says, "James, I am your father!" 

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

I actually really like the idea of Craig in a space suit, fighting in a space station, I just can't imagine what he could be stopping.

How about, like in Austin Powers, he's going back in time to try to stop Moonraker from being made?

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

I can easily see Bond going into space. Inner space that is. Craig's Bond should be seen scuba diving in the next movie, I reckon.

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

I agree with Blofeld's Cat - it's more likely we'll see this Bond battling underwater than in outer space.

I've never been comfortable with 007 in a space station setting. There have been sci-fi elements in the Bond films - and books - but he is not a sci-fi hero. Bond in space - no. Bond dealing with something in space from the ground - killer satellite, space laser weapon - certainly.

#7 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

The one time that Bond went to space is enough.  It's one location that should be a one-and-done for the franchise.

#8 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

I think that even the satellite angle has been pretty well played out by now.

Where hasn't Bond traveled to at this point? Deep cavern under the earth? Shrink ray into a scientist's bloodstream? Battling Sasquatch and the Loch Ness monster?

#9 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

There are lots of countries he hasn't been to yet, The majority in fact. Now, I'm not suggesting that future Bond films should be travelogues of places he's not done so far, but I think we could be a bit more imaginative about locations, provided they fit logically into a storyline.

Agreed about the "satellite" idea - it's been done three times over, no need to revisit for a while. I suppose if space tourism really takes off - literally! - then we could see a scenario ten or twenty years down the line in which Bond is one space traveller amongst others. But I'm still not keen on it - he's such a down-to-Earth chap!

(And I'll be surprised if space tourism, save for those with more money to burn than most, takes off!)

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

Star Wars has a lot to answer for, and it started a slippery slope of Bond following trends instead of setting them.

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Three out of four of the first four Moore Bonds, intentionally or otherwise, reflected in some way 1970s cinematic trends. LALD - "blaxploitation", TMWTGG - the Bruce Lee/kung fu trend and MR the late 70s space movies. Even TSWLM had a shark and a human weapon called "Jaws"!

True, LALD the novel had villains who were black - decades ahead of its time, perhaps - and so the film was faithful to the novel in this respect, it was released in the era of "Shaft". Was the Far East selected as a location for TMWTGG because of the 70s kung fu fad? FYEO was meant to follow TSWLM - was MR the actual follow up because its story featured a rocket and could be very loosely adapted to suit a space based scenario?

I've always liked it when Bond led trends rather than followed them. Having said that, I'm about to be hoist by my own petard. LTK - following the "Lethal Weapon"/"Miami Vice" trend of the late 80s? The recurring argument that the whole Craig era is nothing more than "Bourne again Bond"? Or going back to the mid 1960s and YOLT - the book seemed unfilmable, so a "space race" story replaced it.

Reflecting on this mid post - maybe few of the Bond films set trends (the Bondmania movies like GF and TB - and all the imitators that followed) but the series ability to reflect or absorb trends whilst remaining Bond films may be part of the series longevity?

Which I know has little to do with sending 007 back into space - unless there's a sudden Hollywood trend for space tourist movies! ;-)

#12 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:04 AM

Space tourism would certainly be an option. Someone has secretly turned a private spaceship into a weapon (much like in the MR novel) and wants to destroy London with it on its apparent landing after a tourist trip. Bond has to board the spaceship in order to defuse the bomb (a nuclear one, please, we didn't have one of those for ages), only to find out that any kind of landing gear has been disabled. Our hero saves the day with a ditching on the Thames... And while others would waste an entire movie on this, our hero is the one who can pull this off in a 10 to 15 minute PTS :D (but it could also be turned into a faithful MR adaption).

#13 When In Egypt

When In Egypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I eagerly await the return of the utterly bonkers and enormous Bond movie, even if we just get one.  

The Bond series had always worked in waves, and the ebb and flow of styles is what's kept it successful.  

I've always said that if every Bond movie was like From Russia With Love the series would have died many decades ago.

If they can think of someway to get Bond back into space without making the audience groan, I'm all for it.  Maybe getting caught up in a test flight of a new space shuttle type craft, or a passenger space ship.  There could be a major terrorist threat involved on the flights and that's what gets Bond onboard.

#14 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hi stromberg,

Somewhere buried deep in this website is a scenario I posted and forgot about which is very similar to your post, save that the spaceplane is called the "Moonraker", the target is the city of London, the villain is called Drax and for reasons best known to himself he wants to wipe out the city, take down the super rich passengers aboard this plane and make a small fortune by betting against it's success (In the novel Drax started a run on the pound the day before the Moonraker was due to be launched)

Bond and WPC Gala Brand as the only two who can stop it?

Your idea might just work! :-)

#15 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

AntiBallisticMissile lasers or particle beams in orbit, enough satellites and you can protect your side from missile attack while shooting down everybody's else's. Either that or spacemounted lasers used for selective weather control, which has immense possibilities weaponwise. Either way, you can have him get into a delaying DIE HARD action while waiting for or enabling the space marines to arrive, then leading them into battle. Not the Atari battle of MOONRAKER either.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is very close to a Bond parody I wrote in 1978 when I first heard of MOONRAKER. It was called MOONRIVER, and had a baddie ODing the planet on lunar-retrieved hallucinogenic moondust. I thought it was hysterical that Bond should wind up in space, so where wakes up thinking he is in a fancy hotel, we then PULL BACK TO REVEAL he is in an orbiting HIlton already after getting grabbed. Then I saw the MR trailer and realized, god, they're not REALLY going there, are they?

#16 Matt Sherman

Matt Sherman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

What possible reason could he have to go that isn't just another Moonraker/The Spy Who Loved Me? I actually really like the idea of Craig in a space suit, fighting in a space station, I just can't imagine what he could be stopping.

To stop boredom?

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

I suppose it's really just a question of time till space will once again feature in some way, though it will perhaps take another four or five decades before it's going to happen - provided we manage not to blow the planet to ashes in the meantime. Moon is still the next-big-thing in astronautics, probably a central stepstone on the way to Mars. Logically that would include some kind of long-term presence in moon bases, most likely national ones, thus giving plenty of opportunity for conflict with whatever nations still manage to raise the funds for such a venture. Throw in large scale robotic mining operations, a top-of-the-range luxury resort in 1/6 g, an ultra-security vault for rent and you already have some promising elements that probably won't look out of place in 2065.

#18 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

True. And plenty of craters on the Moon to hide secret rocket bases!

(Trouble is, I doubt I'll be around to see it

#19 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

No more space travel, but I wouldn't mind a visit to Vegas again! I always loved the scenery and feel it provided in Diamonds.

#20 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

I actually really like the idea of Craig in a space suit, fighting in a space station, I just can't imagine what he could be stopping.

How about, like in Austin Powers, he's going back in time to try to stop Moonraker from being made?

Bronzescript_PART1.png

#21 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Bond obviously failed in that mission, didn't he. LOL!

#22 When In Egypt

When In Egypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

I'll have none of this Moonraker bashing, thank you.

It's a terrific film.  Absolutely spectacular and very entertaining.  It fits in perfectly with the breezier and more family friendly era of Roger Moore's 1970s Bond movies.  The problem is, it seems to get judged solely on it's worst aspects:

• The moments of broad comedy
  • Comedic or spoofing use of music
  • 'Jokes' instead of 'humour'
  • The dreaded double-take pigeon

All of the above is pretty much absolutely dreadful and contributed to Moonraker having the unfortunate feel of a TV Christmas Special, but in truth these worst aspects were quite out of place in what is actually a straightforward action-adventure summer blockbuster.  There's some incredible action scenes (the pre-credit skydive chase), not to mention some cracking suspense (Jaws walking up the alleyway in mardi gras disguise), and it looks stunning.

I'm not saying it's the very best Bond film, or anything, I just think the creative team went too far in places and a trim or two in the cutting room would have sorted the whole thing out.

Besides, it didn't do the franchise any harm.  It was a massive hit at the box office.

#23 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

MR is fluff, yes, but it is very well made fluff - special effects, costumes, set design, music, photography all done by the Bond craftsmen at the top of their game. Silly, but not trashy or unsophisticated (that would be DAD).

#24 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:25 PM

Logically that would include some kind of long-term presence in moon bases, most likely national ones, thus giving plenty of opportunity for conflict with whatever nations still manage to raise the funds for such a venture. Throw in large scale robotic mining operations, a top-of-the-range luxury resort in 1/6 g, an ultra-security vault for rent and you already have some promising elements that probably won't look out of place in 2065.

Moon Zero Two: 1969. James Olsen & Catherine Schell, and Warren Mitchell as Drax Hubbard.

Seen it, and Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die, and wondered...nah, never!

#25 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

Logically that would include some kind of long-term presence in moon bases, most likely national ones, thus giving plenty of opportunity for conflict with whatever nations still manage to raise the funds for such a venture. Throw in large scale robotic mining operations, a top-of-the-range luxury resort in 1/6 g, an ultra-security vault for rent and you already have some promising elements that probably won't look out of place in 2065.

Moon Zero Two: 1969. James Olsen & Catherine Schell, and Warren Mitchell as Drax Hubbard.

Seen it, and Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die, and wondered...nah, never!

Actually most of it from Philip Kerr's The Second Angel, though there a global disease made blood some kind of alternate currency with the world's biggest resources stored in an ultra-Fort-Knox on the moon. Much of it reads like it could be a Bond film in 2050 - but the story takes an unexpected turn and ends on an entirely different note.

#26 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:34 AM

MR is fluff, yes, but it is very well made fluff - special effects, costumes, set design, music, photography all done by the Bond craftsmen at the top of their game. Silly, but not trashy or unsophisticated (that would be DAD).

Can't agree. Movie uses the unforgivable crutch of producing a gadget not set up in advance (without the dramatic escape valve of it being a huge surprise) with how they escape the exhaust chamber. The whole bit with getting taken by the faux ambulance feels like it was ratcheted in from some Bond knockoff. Except for the centrifuge and the girl with dogs, I don't think it ever feels like Bond, though there's some mood to the space stuff, which I really like in terms of art direction, music and ingeniously inexpensive (for the most part) VFX.