4 replies to this topic

#1 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

Over on the AJB forums, a chap called Donk (I really dunno) has an amazing thread that illustrates his various purchases in the collecting world.

Post 496, referencing a Walther P5 purchase, on the currently last page, mentions that 'Connery returned to the role of Bond for MGM in 1983'.  I queried this stating that NSNA was released by Warner Bros.

And then in a PM to the chap himself, following his message to me saying that Moore was contracted to UA and Connery to MGM, I said I thought that in fact, Moore was more likely to be 'contracted' to Eon on a film-by-film basis and Connery, in this instance, to Taliafilm or Producers Sales Organisation (PSO).  The resultant films then released through MGM/UA and Warners, respectively.

So, what relationship, if any, did NSNA or Connery have to do with MGM in 1983??  (I am aware of the film's later rights purchase of course)

And pertaining to my suggestion that Eon and not MGM/UA paid Moore, is this a correct assumption?

Cheers all.

#2 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

I'm 100% with you on this. Utterly baffled by what the chap claims.

Ultimately, this looks like more internet misinformation.

A quick check shows that in the years immediately pre-NSNA, Connery had done several films for diverse studios, none of them MGM.

Not sure how Moore could be under contract to UA when UA technically did not exist any more.

EON paid Moore, tho' MGM/UA picked up the tab for each film.

Do keep us posted.

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Apparently, there is a photo illustrating the P5 and on the bottom left hand corner is an MGM logo.  It is not even an MGM/UA logo, as it was then known.

I have suggested that this is probably from a photo library subsequent to the post litigation purchase of NSNA, and nothing to do with the otherwise Warners property, as it was back in 1983.

But, just to be safe, another chap is saying it is all 'very common knowledge' and that I should just read the Thunderball battles and the history.  Really??  I am still thinking not.

My fuller response is post 507, under Simes.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

The only common knowledge here is that at least three of us on this in this thread who have a pretty vast knowledge of the Bond universe have never heard of any of this before. The studio system disappeared long ago.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:21 AM

Well, even though there was much patronising and condescension along the lines of, 'do go away and do your research', and 'it really is all rather well known if you read the right books', it seems that, rather than just saying, 'Ok, maybe a thing or two has been learned.  Thanks for stopping by...', all the offending posts alluding to the above question have just been deleted.

Marvellous.

That's Donk / PPW306R for you.

Godliness prevails.