34 replies to this topic

#31 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

But if a woman dresses in a manner that shows off her breasts, in front of a man like Bond - wouldn´t she at least have to consider that he will, um, look at her?

That argument's not going to make you popular with the feminists (assuming any would frequent a James Bond message board!).  The idea that "she's got it coming to her if she dresses like that" is a real hot button, for them.  And in fairness, it's a short hop to, "Well if she left the house in that outfit, she obviously WANTED to be raped."

Okay, I have to react to this now.  Because that is NOT a short hop to rape.

If a man dresses in a tight t-shirt to show off his muscles he wants people to look at his body.

If a woman dresses in a tight t-shirt that shows off her breasts - she does not want people to look at her?

C´mon.

And since when is looking at someone forbidden?  A crime?  A perversion?

If Bond had begun to fondle this assistant because she showed lots of cleavage I would have found that disgusting and despicable.  That would have been a crime.

Looking at her - no, not at all.

And that´s what I was hinting at with my "tongue-in-cheek"-remarks.

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Octopussy is how Moore should've gone out, on an All Time High

Exactly. It would've been the perfect finale for his 007. I like to think that Moore's Bond retired to India with Maud Adams.
It would've been a great finale for his Bond. Perfect, in fact. However I have grown to like AVTAK over the years. So I guess if the tradeoff of getting another Moore film is forgoing OP's finale for Bond kissing Stacey Sutton in the shower....I'll take it.

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

Okay, I have to react to this now.  Because that is NOT a short hop to rape.

If a man dresses in a tight t-shirt to show off his muscles he wants people to look at his body.

If a woman dresses in a tight t-shirt that shows off her breasts - she does not want people to look at her?

C´mon.

And since when is looking at someone forbidden?  A crime?  A perversion?

If Bond had begun to fondle this assistant because she showed lots of cleavage I would have found that disgusting and despicable.  That would have been a crime.

Looking at her - no, not at all.

And that´s what I was hinting at with my "tongue-in-cheek"-remarks.

That' not what Bond was doing though. He's not simply just looking at her. He's using a camera to get a close up on her and stare down the front of her shirt and broadcast it in the office for everyone to see. That's a far cry from simply taking a glance over in her direction. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even a question of whether Bond's actions cross the line into the territory of sexual harassment, because they clearly do.

#34 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Why pick on this scene and not the scene that followed?

The monitor was turned so that only Q and Vijay saw the image. Q rightly criticizes Bond's "adolescent antics" and warns Vijay not to let Bond teach him any of his bad habits.

Then Bond returns to his hotel where he meets up with Magda, commencing his greeting with a comment about her being the "prettiest and least lethal" of Kamal associates. Nothing about her intelligence and abilities, just her appearance. Then he provokes her with the question "Does he have a proposition for me, or do you?"

Any innocent woman would have thrown the champagne in his face for that, but since she's obviously been sent to retrieve the Faberge egg, she lets the comment slide, thereby letting Bond suspect that she'll put up with anything for a chance to get the egg, and - as he's done so many times before - he takes advantage of that.

The bastard.

I don't know why we like these movies. Connery was a Scottish tough who went around slapping women. Lazenby was an Aussie cad. Moore was no action hero, just a dirty old man. Dalton was more sensitive and moody, so he barely got any. Brosnan's pickup lines were unbelievable. Craig is so unrefined he can only get it on with turncoats, former child prostitutes and station secretaries.

Where's the fun in any of this? Why doesn't Bond have a raft of illegitimate children and an equal number of STDs?

Perhaps Patrick McGoohan should have played Bond - then we'd have nothing to complain about.

#35 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

Octopussy is how Moore should've gone out, on an All Time High

Exactly. It would've been the perfect finale for his 007. I like to think that Moore's Bond retired to India with Maud Adams.
It would've been a great finale for his Bond. Perfect, in fact. However I have grown to like AVTAK over the years. So I guess if the tradeoff of getting another Moore film is forgoing OP's finale for Bond kissing Stacey Sutton in the shower....I'll take it.

On the plus side of how things turned out in reality I would not have wanted Dalton to have started his Bond tenure with AVTAK, at least not without a major script overhaul prior to shooting. TLD had a much stronger script to introduce a new Bond with. It's easier to forgive AVTAK's script weaknesses with a tenured Bond in the lead role rather than a new one.