24 replies to this topic

#1 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

So I'm rewatching the Bond movies with my brother and my dad - who haven't seen them in a number of years. Also we started with the Moore films so that we didn't start with Dr. No (which, with Goldeneye were the last Bonds they'd seen).

So after AVtaK, my brother asked "Was Jaws one of Dr. Mortner's other attempts at making a superhuman?"  Naturally I didn't know, poked around the net and here but didn't see it talked about (but perhaps my google-fu was weak), albeit I understand some people don't like the super-henchpeople so it might not be a well beloved topic either.

Anyhow after Goldfinger, my brother had the same question about Oddjob after he didn't react to being hit by a gold ingot (no-sold to use the professional wrestling parlance) and had previously crushed a golf ball in his hands.

Now one thing we felt when discussing it between each other is that we needed to distinguish the "superhuman" from the "trained agent".  "Could Bond do it" was our litmous test on a lot of these things.  For example there's nothing that, say, Red Grant or Wai Lan do during their appearances that strike me as something Bond couldn't do, so they would be "trained agents".

So from AVtaK we know Zorin was one of Mortner's experiments and I think its easy to extrapolate that May Day had to be one as well as she clearly does things I'd have trouble buying Bond doing (hurling the person over her head, for example). 

Jaws is certainly superhuman (walking away unharmed several times from things that would have killed or maimed even Bond).  Was he a product of some kind of project to engineer a superhuman though?  Certainly nothing in the text indicates that to be the case.

Oddjob seems to fit (Bond seems to notice the golf ball as a feat if nothing else).

My brother suggested two others, I'm less certain about.

Xenia Onatopp - from our memory at least as we haven't gotten back to that film - was identified as the assassin of the Candian Admiral because her unique style of assassination led to a specific break in the spine - something that could be superhuman.  But we haven't reseen Goldeneye so this may be us misremembering the character and scenes to fit the theory.

The other one is Vargas from Thunderball.  Certainly a bit of a dedicated killer (since he has no interest in anything else) but he gets little chance to do anything else on-screen to indicate some superhuman ability.

And of course we have the two head scratchers - Baron Samedi and Solitare from LaLD.  Samedi seems to survive death (from the coffin of snakes) but since the coffin was a prop in the ceremony, its possible that Samedi always had an "out" with the snakes (perhaps using snake venom to build a resistance or having the snakes milked prior to the ceremony) in case of accidents rather than being necessarily supernatural.  Solitare does seem to predict what's going to happen in the movie (but then again that doesn't necessarily have to mean she has psychic powers either).

So I guess the question to the group is are there other characters who might qualify as superhuman in the Bond films or are all the feats we see ultimately explanable as normal on the natural curve of human phyicality?  And could it conceivable all tie back into the work of Dr. Mortner somehow?

If this has been discussed before, apologies, but I didn't find a thread dedicated to it here (but again, might have not looked for the right keywords).

#2 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Interesting topic.

As these are not fantasy films, I would say they aren't superhuman. On the other hand, Bond is a the same type of pulp that produced Doc Savage and many other stories which threw in sci-fi elements without overplaying them enough to make it defined as strictly science fiction.

#3 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Despite many attempts by fans to tie them together, there's very little continuity between the films, so I wouldn't count on using Dr Mortner to explain away characters who appear in movies where he doesn't. I have a hard time picturing him as an "off camera" force in the series, churning out super-villains to face Bond over the decades.  It's also worth noting that Mortner was a Nazi, which means if he'd gotten hold of a black child like May Day or a physical anomaly/mute like Jaws, he'd have been more likely to euthanize them than "enhance" them.

Except for being extremely intelligent (but also certifiably insane), I wouldn't call Zorin a "superhuman" anyway, at least not in the physical sense.  There's not a lot to suggest Mortner's specialty involved giving his subjects enhanced strength.

Oddjob was almost superhuman even in Fleming's novel, what with his devastating karate kicks and so on.  The movie just ramped it up a notch, as movies will do.  And after that, it was a matter of going bigger with each film.  Hans in YOLT and the wrestler type in Osata's office in the same film (Dwayne Johnson's grandpa) are nearly as invulnerable and mighty as Oddjob, but still arguably in the "normal human" range.  FYEO's Eric Kriegler stretches it a bit, tossing motorcycles around, and TND's Stamper is a borderline superman as well.  Jaws is off the scale, obviously, but he exists almost as a spoof of the type. It's strongly hinted May Day has near-superhero-level powers, but except for lifting a KGB agent over her head, and later pulling up Bond and the bomb, there's not a lot of evidence to back that up.

Samedi may be supernatural, or maybe not.  The fun part there is the mystery; trying to explain it away ruins the magic.

I wouldn't say "all the feats we see [from "super" henchmen] are ultimately explanable as normal on the natural curve of human physicality." But I also wouldn't say the car jump in TMWTGG, the bike-to-plane mid-air transfer in GE or Bond surviving the fall at the beginning of SF have any ties to real-world physics, either.  I also doubt any guy could drive or pilot any vehicle on his first try better than trained operators, identify the chemical formula of an extinct orchid after a quick glance or for that matter have sex 8 times in one night with 8 different women.  But this is James Bond we're talking about, so reality is irrelevant.

The reasons we have "superhuman" henchmen in the films is because (1) it makes for some exciting visuals, (2) as James Bond becomes more and more indestructible, you have to keep pushing the bounds of reality to create peril and (3) like everything else in the films, "if it worked in Goldfinger, it'll work again."

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

It's also worth noting that Mortner was a Nazi, which means if he'd gotten hold of a black child like May Day or a physical anomaly/mute like Jaws, he'd have been more likely to euthanize them than "enhance" them.

Not necessarily. Children with – in their view – certain "abnormalities" were also used for scientific experiments (no need or desire to go into detail here). Jaws' alleged state of mind may as well be a result of such experiments.

But I agree that linking all those "superhuman" henchmen to Dr. Mortner is a bit of a stretch.

#5 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Actually, I just remembered: didn't Jaws get an "origin" in Christopher Wood's novelization?  Pretty sure he did, but I'm drawing a blank on the details.  Anyway, I'm sure Dr Mortner doesn't get a mention.

#6 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

Actually, I just remembered: didn't Jaws get an "origin" in Christopher Wood's novelization?  Pretty sure he did, but I'm drawing a blank on the details.  Anyway, I'm sure Dr Mortner doesn't get a mention.

Looked it up. Yes, there is a back story given (been years since I last read it). And it involves a former Nazi doctor, Ludwig Schenk. But he's not the result of experiments, Schenk restored his totally destroyed jaw in 14 operations. The metal teeth needed an electric impulse conductor for which his vocal cords had to be destroyed

#7 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

David_M your post is great. I don't know why but paragraph 5 really cracked me up.

Yeah, the dangers of thinking too hard about continuity in the films is noted.

Also hadn't heard about jaws having an explanation in one of the spinoff books. So thanks to Strom berg for checking that.

Edited by George Kaplan, 30 April 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

Samedi seems to survive death (from the coffin of snakes) but since the coffin was a prop in the ceremony, its possible that Samedi always had an "out" with the snakes (perhaps using snake venom to build a resistance or having the snakes milked prior to the ceremony) in case of accidents rather than being necessarily supernatural.

Let's not forget he gets half his head shot off too. Bit difficult explaining that one away by normal standards...

"Dearie's had half his head shot off again by that British bloke. I'll bet he's in a foul mood, better get his cuppa ready."

#9 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:37 AM

Umm... I thought it was obvious that was some kind of robotic simulacrum and not the real Samedi.  Bond follows up the head shot with several shots to the body, and the "dummy" shatters apart like a porcelain doll.

Then the real guy shows up and we know he's real from his laugh, whereupon Roger tenses up like he's just gotten a cold chill.

Not a lot of logic in that scene, but I love it.  Well, except for the fact that Bond nearly empties his gun in the process, and doesn't seem to have thought to bring more ammo along.  Might've been better to save those bullets for real foes, especially when he's so outnumbered.

#10 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

Interesting post.

I don't think of Samedi has having survived the snakes. Him appearing at the very end of LALD is just a bit of fun - I don't see it as Samedi actually still being alive.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#11 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

I agree with David_M. I don't think these henchmen are 'superhuman', it is just that the extremely tough / very strong / high pain threshold henchman is such a popular trope. As Bond is a kind of 'superhero' and easily disposes of so many foes without raising a sweat it is a good dramatic device to have him punch or hit someone hard who does not flinch. It just makes his job that much harder, raises the drama and forces him to be more imaginative in how he deals with this hard to stop enemy. But thanks for opening the thread, George Kaplan. They are interesting ideas and fun to think about and entertain as possibilities.

#12 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

Do the young men and women who form Drax's "perfect physical specimens" in MR count on this thread? Not out and out "superhuman" henchmen, but complicit in an attempt at mass murder, and selected to breed a race of super-humans. Of course, we're never told about the selection criteria beyond looking like fashion or sports magazine models ;), but presumably there was a selection criteria and this group must have been judged the best of the elite by Drax and his organisation. Therefore on reflection I'd count these young people, even though they are not in the same sub set as, say Zorin and the others mentioned above.

#13 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

I don't think of Samedi has having survived the snakes. Him appearing at the very end of LALD is just a bit of fun - I don't see it as Samedi actually still being alive.

You could take it any number of ways:

1. Samedi is the real deal; a supernatural, immortal being who temporarily aligns himself with Kananga and survives the entire film to cause more mischief later

2. The "Samedi" at the end is merely a symbol of death.  Death follows Bond wherever he goes and in this case, death is literally "riding the train."

3. The last shot is a gag, a variation on the old "The End....Or Is It?" gimmick at the end of old Sci-Fi movies.

4. If you like your explanations more Earth-bound, "Samedi" is a persona created by some person or group to keep voodoo worshipers in thrall.  That means creating the illusion of immortality and omnipresence, through "robots," effigies and lookalikes.  The "Samedi" who falls in the snake-filled coffin is one actor, the one on the train is another.  Kind of like the way the Phantom sells his "ghost who walks" routine.  Or the multiple Blofelds in DAF.

5. Samedi wasn't even harmed by the snakes when he fell in the coffin. He just pretended to be bit.  (It looks like he's humping them!)

6. The whole movie is a massive product placement for 7-Up.

One of the things I enjoy about LALD is that the supernatural element is left nebulous.  They never tip completely over into hocus-pocus territory, but they also don't explain it all away Scooby-Doo style.  It's up to you as the viewer to decide how much, if any, substance there is to voodoo.  LALD walks right up to the edge of the horror genre but stops there, as opposed to say MR, which jumps head first into sci-fi.  It's fascinating to see how far you can stretch the formula before something breaks.

Edited by David_M, 01 May 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#14 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

Samedi is the real deal; a supernatural, immortal being who temporarily aligns himself with Kananga and survives the entire film to cause more mischief later

This is how I've always seen it.

The whole movie is a massive product placement for 7-Up.

But this makes a whole lot more sense!

#15 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

Umm... I thought it was obvious that was some kind of robotic simulacrum and not the real Samedi.  Bond follows up the head shot with several shots to the body, and the "dummy" shatters apart like a porcelain doll.

Then the real guy shows up and we know he's real from his laugh, whereupon Roger tenses up like he's just gotten a cold chill.

Never saw it that way. If the robotic simulacrum theory were valid - and not just cheap looking prosthetics to keep the film firmly in PG territory - why doesn't Bond shoot the second Baron Samedi? Answer: because Bond suspects bullets still won't work. Mind you, we would have had that infamous "Raiders of the Lost Ark" moment if Bond had decided to give his gun another go...

#16 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

One for the high priest, two for the guy who comes at Bond with a machete, three for the phony Baron Samedi.

#17 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Never saw it that way. If the robotic simulacrum theory were valid - and not just cheap looking prosthetics to keep the film firmly in PG territory - why doesn't Bond shoot the second Baron Samedi? Answer: because Bond suspects bullets still won't work. 

Wow.  See, that's why it's interesting hanging out here; you always hear something new.  I've never run across anyone before who thought the destroyed "Samedi" was supposed to be the real deal.

If this were true, and the point is to show Samedi is immortal, then why don't the bullets just bounce off him?  Or go through him?  Why is he shattered?  Or allowing that he is, and has magical powers, why doesn't he reassemble himself from the pieces, instead of rising up again out of the elevator/grave?  I can't agree the "prosthetics" are deliberately "cheap-looking" to spare viewer sensibilities.  The standard (and far cheaper) "keep it clean" approach of the era was to have a patch of blood show up (sometimes with no bullet hole!) and have the actor groan and fall down (dying in the movies is seldom as messy as the real thing).  Why go to all the effort of building this fake Samedi just to "sell" a killing in a way that makes it look utterly unreal? Unless the whole point is to show us this is not a human being we're looking at. And if it really is supposed to be a human head getting blown half off, wouldn't that make it *less* likely to get a PG rating, even if it is relatively bloodless?  It's a pretty jarring image, even 40 years on, and the only thing that gets us over the initial shock is that, within seconds, we know it's not real.

Notice the first "Samedi" is completely immobile, standing perfectly still as it rises up and even as it's shot to bits.  The eyes never blink.  Nothing suggests animation or sentience.  Well, not until the eyes roll back after being shot, but that's just as likely the result of a mechanical process, like the gears that control the eyes have been blown out.  But the cranium seems totally empty; there's no blood or brain matter.  There is, however, a plume of smoke pouring out.

When the second Samedi appears, he takes the same stance, staying stock still, until the blink, the smile and the laugh, as if to say, "You've got the real one, this time, mon!"

Probably I should avoid the term "robot" as that implies a level of sophistication and complexity we don't see.  I'll stick with "effigy."  Or maybe "scarecrow" would be more apt.

As AMC Hornet points out, the reason Bond doesn't take a shot at the real Samedi is that he's used up all his bullets.  Why he takes on an army of voodoo worshippers with a six-shooter and no refills is anyone's guess, especially when you consider what a great forward-thinker he is.  After all, this is the guy who knows to wear a parachute when he goes skiing in case he's run off a mountain, and to wear a ninja suit with suction cups under his Japanese fisherman disguise just in case he finds a metal-walled SPECTRE hideout inside a volcano.  But then, I guess even 007 is allowed to have an off day.

#18 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Well said, David_M.  It's quite obvious that it wasn't the real Baron Samedi.  While Live and Let Die does dabble in some "supernatural" elements in a rather superficial way, it still takes place in the "real" world where such types of resurrections and immortality are obviously impossible.  Bond displays a very cavalier attitude towards the occult in this film, so there's no reason to think that he would all of a sudden believe that Samedi is actually able to rise from the dead at the end of the film.  And there's a reason for that, because just like all of the other supposedly supernatural phenomena going on in the film (the tarot cards, the scarecrows, etc.), it's pretty obvious that it's fake.

And, as already pointed out by both AMC Hornet and David_M, the reason for Bond not again shooting at Samedi is very easily explained, and it has nothing to do with Bond being afraid of Samedi or believing that he's immortal.

#19 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

One for the high priest, two for the guy who comes at Bond with a machete, three for the phony Baron Samedi.

Do we know for a fact he had no more ammo? If so, I guess the incompetence that plagued him throughout SkyFall got its start here. Or perhaps when packing accessories that day Bond had to decide between a parachute or more ammo. Good thing this experience didn't affect his judgment when he went skiing in the Austrian Alps in '77.

And if it really is supposed to be a human head getting blown half off, wouldn't that make it *less* likely to get a PG rating, even if it is relatively bloodless? It's a pretty jarring image, even 40 years on, and the only thing that gets us over the initial shock is that, within seconds, we know it's not real.

Notice the first "Samedi" is completely immobile, standing perfectly still as it rises up and even as it's shot to bits. The eyes never blink. Nothing suggests animation or sentience. Well, not until the eyes roll back after being shot, but that's just as likely the result of a mechanical process, like the gears that control the eyes have been blown out. But the cranium seems totally empty; there's no blood or brain matter. There is, however, a plume of smoke pouring out.

When the second Samedi appears, he takes the same stance, staying stock still, until the blink, the smile and the laugh, as if to say, "You've got the real one, this time, mon!"

Probably I should avoid the term "robot" as that implies a level of sophistication and complexity we don't see.  I'll stick with "effigy."  Or maybe "scarecrow" would be more apt.

Perhaps the film initially wants us to believe that the first BS is fake. Only at film's end do we realize that BS is immortal - both Baron Samedi and the other kind, of course. :D

Think about it. If the first BS death (head shot) is entirely convincing then we know he'll turn up again and we won't believe the second BS death (snake bites). In order for the final image to shock and surprise, we genuinely need to believe BS is dead.

Another problem with your theory tho' is to what purpose did it serve them to have a fake Samedi? In case a British agent shot half his head off? If Bond hadn't arrived, some of the more rational natives would have began to wonder when Samedi was going to get a move on.

Well said, David_M.  It's quite obvious that it wasn't the real Baron Samedi.  While Live and Let Die does dabble in some "supernatural" elements in a rather superficial way, it still takes place in the "real" world where such types of resurrections and immortality are obviously impossible.

Absolutely! Seven-Up spokesmen always sit on the front of a speeding train late at night. Especially after they've died. It's an everyday occurrence. And he's laughing because he didn't have to pay normal train fare. Tch. He's a freeloader if you ask me. And I guess he didn't really die. Lucky chap is obviously immune to snake venom.

And the laughing figure on the speeding train at night? Obviously another effigy. The first one can rolls his eyes, the second one can laugh and take off his hat. Wonder what the third one can do. Bow to the Queen, do the foxtrot and knock Nigel Farage to the ground? Coming soon - Baron Samedi 4.0 !

Or perhaps it's his twin brother.

See, it all adds up. No need for a supernatural explanation.

And, as already pointed out by both AMC Hornet and David_M, the reason for Bond not again shooting at Samedi is very easily explained, and it has nothing to do with Bond being afraid of Samedi or believing that he's immortal.

By all means repeat what they said. I never listen to anything until I've heard it three times. Candyman candyman candyman!

#20 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

Another problem with your theory tho' is to what purpose did it serve them to have a fake Samedi? In case a British agent shot half his head off? If Bond hadn't arrived, some of the more rational natives would have began to wonder when Samedi was going to get a move on.

If you're really still expecting the plot of a Bond film to make logical sense, then you obviously haven't been paying attention.

Stromberg plans to start a new world, but doesn't bring along any women.  Zorin tries to "corner the microchip market" by killing most of his customers.  Wynt and Kidd leave a merely unconscious Bond inside a pipe in the desert and figure that's the end of it.  Craig-Bond thinks it's a good idea to "protect" M by taking her to an empty house, far away from help, and purposely leave "breadcrumbs" so Sylva can find and kill them both.  And lest we forget: Space Marines

Rule of thumb when making a Bond film: if it looks cool, do it.  If it doesn't make sense, well, let the fans find an explanation while we count our money.

#21 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

If you're really still expecting the plot of a Bond film to make logical sense, then you obviously haven't been paying attention.

Stromberg plans to start a new world, but doesn't bring along any women.  Zorin tries to "corner the microchip market" by killing most of his customers.  Wynt and Kidd leave a merely unconscious Bond inside a pipe in the desert and figure that's the end of it.  Craig-Bond thinks it's a good idea to "protect" M by taking her to an empty house, far away from help, and purposely leave "breadcrumbs" so Sylva can find and kill them both.  And lest we forget: Space Marines

Rule of thumb when making a Bond film: if it looks cool, do it.  If it doesn't make sense, well, let the fans find an explanation while we count our money.

Once again, well said David_M.

I think that you could also include the plot to Casino Royale in that as well.  It would seem rather suspect for one (or actually two, in the case of the film) of the world's superpowers to invest millions of dollars in a scheme that is based almost entirely on luck and could potentially yield the international terrorist community a windfall of roughly $150 million.  When Bond gets angry after losing and grabs the knife from the table and pursue Le Chiffre is actually the point at which the whole plan makes the most sense.

#22 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

BTW, if anyone has a copy of the script for LALD, I'd imagine this issue could be easily settled.  Assuming it even is an issue for more than one person.

#23 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Love the debate/conversation.  We watched YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and the fight between Bond and the Car Driver (Peter Maiva) was pretty impressive.  Not totally superhuman...but he did take a lot of punishment from that couch (but not as much as the whole room got)! :D

Couple of thoughts about Baron Samedi - If he's real why does he abandon Kananga and later Tee-Hee?  Well Samedi was, besides controlling who lived and died, also noted for being fond of disruption, obscenity, debauchery, smoking and drinking.  So ultimately, maybe Samedi thought Bond represented him better than either Kananga or Tee-Hee?

if he's a fake, having an animatronic Samedi would be useful to demonstrate to the faithful one of his powers - he's the Loa of resurrection, so being ritually killed (in animatronic form) and then re-appearing would be useful in impressing the faithful.  It'd also be useful to have tricked the snakes up somehow (milking them, having some form of preventative anti-venom) for a similar demonstration of power.  Further, turning on Kananga and Tee-Hee pretty much assures him control of the cult when he returns (Is Tee-Hee acting on loyalty to Kananga, or was he working with Samedi with the goal of taking over Kananga's place after killing Bond? Either way he's abandoned by Samedi who through the elimination of the others gets what remains of the cult for himself.)

#24 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

I've heard it said that the 'return' of Samedi at the end was to placate black audiences who might be offended that all the black characters lost to the Mighty Whitey. Also, it made a terrific segue into the end credits. That may have been from John Brosnan or Steven J. Rubin.

#25 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:00 PM

You've got it backwards - on many levels. First, if someone expects the plot of a Bond film to make logical sense then they've obviously been paying too much attention. Second, I've never expected a Bond plot to make logical sense - at least on that level. My parachute quips above prove it. Further, if someone dismisses my theory that the first BS is real, then they too are guilty of expecting the plot to make logical sense. If we accept dream logic, then my belief that the headshot BS is real is equally valid.

Stromberg plans to start a new world, but doesn't bring along any women.

Why should he? Unlike Drax, he isn't trying to create a new civilization per se. Mind you, he does now have Anya. And if we accept the novelization as canon, Jaws + Anya = offspring with intelligence and physical prowess.

A better argument against TSWLM is that Stromberg intends to destroy the world in several days - waiting of course for Bond to play catch-up. Who cares if the submarine tracking device falls into the wrong hands? Dammit, for reasons I Stromberg can't fathom I won't be able to destroy the world if that submarine tracking device falls into the wrong hands.

But the real doozy happens in FYEO. Bond spends at least the first half of the film trying to find Havelock's killers, leaving the ATAC sitting at the bottom of the ocean. That's right the ATAC the British and the Russkies are in a race against time to get. Priorities guys, priorities.

And that's exactly what we're doing!

I've heard it said that the 'return' of Samedi at the end was to placate black audiences who might be offended that all the black characters lost to the Mighty Whitey. Also, it made a terrific segue into the end credits. That may have been from John Brosnan or Steven J. Rubin.

Rubin. He writes, "With Samedi riding the end titles, the producers were throwing a sop to the potential black audience. Such careful attention to the black antagonists appealed to those critics who were ready to pounce on this Bond film for exploiting the new wave of black films." FWIW he too thinks the headshot BS is fake.