The forums are moving

Please head over to our new forums at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/ as these forums will soon be converted to a read only archive.

Photo

The 007th Chapter – The Ebook Edition

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

Probably the most important commentary on Fleming's body of work ever produced. Volume II will DEFINITELY be the most important commentary on Gardner's body of work - in fact, more effort will have gone into it than Gardner put into his Bonds! APPLE JONATHAN MOCCASINS ROLLNECK TALK OF A MERRY DANCE BLAZER POT ROAST BLAH BLAH BLAH

As Jim (presumably) rereads Gardner while pulling vol II together, can I request that he record every instance where Gardner refers to "a merry dance". It has to be at least 200, and it never got any less annoying! Thanks!

#32 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

A cracking tome sir.

The Devil May Care chapter being wildly inventive and chock full of observations, both witty and thought provoking.  The 'Writing As Benson and Gardner' intros were classically and hilariously observed.

I am sure it has been said before but I feel you have the correctly proportioned amount of grumpiness and elitism in your writing (this is actually a compliment) to make a fantastic Bond book yourself. 

Did Just Another Kill ever become an ebook?  I was 'collecting' the chapters, or awaiting the completion of the book (I can't remember), before embarking on the complete story, but for some reason this never happened for me.  Did I miss the obvious?  Was it ever finished?

Thank you again for these '7th' essays.

My pleasure.

Funny you should ask about Just Another Kill - it was finished as a Bond fan fiction, about six years ago now.

However, it is due to have a second life - de-Bonded, avoiding as many trademarks and copyright as it can -  revised (needs it) and retitled, as an "original" work (if that's the word). Current working title (and probable eventual title) is "Knock-Off".  Watch this, or at least cyber-, space.

#33 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Funny you should ask about Just Another Kill - it was finished as a Bond fan fiction, about six years ago now.

However, it is due to have a second life - de-Bonded, avoiding as many trademarks and copyright as it can - revised (needs it) and retitled, as an "original" work (if that's the word). Current working title (and probable eventual title) is "Knock-Off". Watch this, or at least cyber-, space.

Best news in a long time...

#34 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

No one should be misled by Jim's witty and often hilarious digressions and asides, nor by his whimsical writing style.  This collection of analytical essays, in addition to being vastly amusing, represents one of the best discourses on the merits and demerits of the literary James Bond that one is likely to find.  Having been doing some highly enjoyable Bond-related travel, I've been delayed in ordering the download of the collection, but now that I've done so I've been enjoying the essays afresh today.

My thoughts on beginning Jim's essay on Devil May Care were that he was going to have a little light wordplay on "like" versus "as" and let it go at that.  Just as well, I thought, since I usually don't admit to rather enjoying the book, even though I concede its myriad faults.  But no, we get a lovely dissection of Fleming and Faulks that pinpoints a lot of the issues that plague DMC.  While Jim ultimately finds the book betrayed by its principle conceit and "deeply annoying, exploitative, preachy and misjudged," I can't help feeling that he finds at least some value in it.  I admit that I may be projecting some of my own feelings onto his analysis.

Beyond DMC, however, this new concluding essay brings us Jim's thoughts on Fleming and Bond.  Bond, he writes, is an "essentially preposterous . . . yearning fragment of the frustrated, immature and withdrawn imagination of a disappointing schoolboy," but it would be wrong to think that Jim disdains both writer and creation.  He tells us, rather, that he likes Ian Fleming, likes Sebastian Faulks "and despite suspicions, [likes] James Bond."  Jim, I've been reading your various contributions to CBn for over a decade now, and I never doubted you for a second. 

On a different tack, I was vastly amused by one of Jim's remarks that relates not only to the later Fleming books, but to the producers of the current films as well, who forge ahead "breezily ignoring the creativity-stifling of 'real Bond fans,' whose smothering adoration of something they liked, and associated underthought demand that the same thing is repeated forever, will only suffocate it in the end."  Brilliantly observed, Jim.  Fleming purist that I am, it's a lesson that I, and those like me (and there are still quite a few of us remaining) must take to heart.  One hopes some of EON's critics also take note.

I can't conclude better than quoting Jim's sendoff:

"Ian Fleming is, finally, dead.

Long Live James Bond."

Indeed.

#35 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Yes.  For my part, I cannot conceive of the reason(s) why this output is not published and For Sale, in-a-bookshop, or web variant.

For someone who so clearly loves, and is so bloody capable, of Writing, why is this chap not more so deservedly published?

I daresay there is an abundancy of reasons; mine is a completely disconnected reasoning.  Or wondering.  Having recently read The Heart Bleeds Ice, this would seem to be the obvious continuation author - IFP-lead marketing and advertising reasons notwithstanding...  Dunno!

#36 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

Very kind, both of you.

I might need to rethink my adherence to the Dr Kananga business model.

#37 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Thank you to all who have provided feedback so far; most kind.

More to come, soon. With apologies in advance.

#38 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

Please, do your worst.

#39 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

More to come, soon. With apologies in advance.

With Fleming out of the way it's all downhill from here.  :dry:

#40 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

With Jim at the pen it's going to be fun nonetheless...

#41 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

Absolutely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users