6 replies to this topic

#1 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

Fans ponder from time to time whether there are any bits of Ian Fleming's novels that should be included in the films.  Here are numbers six through ten from Artistic Licence Renewed:

10.  The motel shootout from TSWLM.

9.    The Hildebrand Rarity.

8.    The Saratoga Racetrack scene from DAF.  (Parenthetically, I visited this location last year, and it would make a wonderful sequence.)

7.    The giant squid scene in DN.

6.    Bond attacks M from TMWTGG.

It wouldn't necessarily be easy to film some of these realistically (the squid), and shoehorning them into the stories could be challenging, but the list was very interesting.

http://literary007.c...ilmed-part-001/

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

Good evening Major,

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some more of the scenes we've all discussed already on this site crop up in 5 through to 1 next time - notably, and heaven knows the "Spectre" and "Bond 25" threads are awash with it, the "Garden Of Death" scenes from the novel "You Only Live Twice".

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

The Garden of Death is certainly a fan favorite, and understandably so.  It's macabre, even grotesque, and I'll be surprised if it's not in the top two or three.

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

Indeed. Imagine the Garden Of Death scene in conjunction with the Squid fight from the book Dr No and you've got a nightmare for Bond and some fairly shocking stuff for the audiences

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

Bet they don't include "All women love semi-rape". Or the various kindly comments about Koreans.

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

Or many other "kindly" comments about other foreign people, Jim. The books, as we all know, sometimes reflected attitudes not exactly shared widely on print these days. A point noted on the covers of some, but not all of the Fleming novel audio CDs released in 2012.

(And not just Fleming. I recently purchased a compendium set of CD recordings of "The Goon Show" which includes the note on the back cover "Please note: some of the humour on the CD reflects the era in which it was first broadcast" and listening to them I'm sure it didn't just mean topical references to the politicians of the day and the end of things like petrol rationing.)

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

Here are the top five, including some surprises:

5.  The Havelock murders in Jamaica and the Vermont shootout in "For Your Eyes Only."
4.  The bridge scene,  the car chase through Kent, hiding in the rocket exhaust port, and getting rejected by Gala Brand in MR.
3.  The entirety of the "Octopussy"  short story.
2.  Bond gets the SHAPE of SMERSH and meets Mary Ann Russel in "From A View To A Kill."
1.  The Garden of Death.

Honorable Mention:  The entire "007 in New York" short story.

These wouldn't be my top picks, but it's an interesting list.

http://literary007.c...ilmed-part-002/