41 replies to this topic

#1 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

Seeing as there are at least a few of us who enjoy Major League Baseball (as evidenced in the What Have You Done Today thread), I thought we'd avoid crowding that up and make our own space to talk.

Just out of curiosity to start us off, how long have you been a fan of your team(s) and what lead you to choosing said team(s)? I've been a Cardinal fan since the day I was born  ;) Mom and dad bought a framed, signed picture of Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith for me when mom was pregnant with me and I attended my first game before I turned a year old (no memory, obviously!). My dad was a fan (sneaking home from school to listen/watch!) because of my grandfather, who used to listen to St. Louis games on the radio in the back of his father's liquor store.

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

Been a Nats fan since they moved to DC. Before that, I mainly was a fan of certain players and rooted for the teams that they played on since it was next to impossible to pull for the Orioles given what ownership did to that franchise.

#3 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

I was born in pinstripes and I will die in pinstripes. My dad bought me a small Yankee uniform when I was born. Pretty much my entire family on my dad's side are Yankee fans (my moms side are Red Sox fans, to figure). The best game I ever went to was on June 13, 2004. Trailing by 2 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth, Hideki Matsui and Kenny Lofton hit back to back home runs to tie it at 2. In the 12th, the Padres scored 3 to take a 5-2 lead. The Yanks responded with 4 in the bottom half to win 6-5. The worst game I ever attended was Game 2 of the 2007 ALDS in Cleveland a.k.a. "The Bug Game."

#4 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

The best game I ever went to was on June 13, 2004. Trailing by 2 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth, Hideki Matsui and Kenny Lofton hit back to back home runs to tie it at 2. In the 12th, the Padres scored 3 to take a 5-2 lead. The Yanks responded with 4 in the bottom half to win 6-5.

I think I remember watching this...

#5 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

Although I am a Colorado native, you have to remember that the Rockies didn't come into existence until 1993 so I actually was a Red Sox fan, first and foremost..My Dad comes from Massachusetts.. Best game or series for me..the ALCS 2004 series against the Yanks when we came all the back from a 3-0 deficit to win it all. And then of course was the 2007 World Series when my Rockies finally made it to the World Series for the first time ever but eventually got swept by Boston..A sort of win-win for me, although I was pulling hard for Colorado to win that series and was disappointed that they didn't even win one game.. Kind of handy to be a fan of one AL team and one NL team.. :D

#6 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

Best game I've ever attended was Game 6 of the 2013 NLCS. Rookie Michael Wacha pitched 7 innings of two-hit, scoreless baseball against LA and the Cards tagged Clayton Kershaw for 7 runs en route to a 9-0 shutout and our 19th National League championship (Best not to mention the World Series from that year, but I bet The Dove enjoyed it!).

#7 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

Although I am a Colorado native, you have to remember that the Rockies didn't come into existence until 1993 so I actually was a Red Sox fan, first and foremost..My Dad comes from Massachusetts.. Best game or series for me..the ALCS 2004 series against the Yanks when we came all the back from a 3-0 deficit to win it all. And then of course was the 2007 World Series when my Rockies finally made it to the World Series for the first time ever but eventually got swept by Boston..A sort of win-win for me, although I was pulling hard for Colorado to win that series and was disappointed that they didn't even win one game.. Kind of handy to be a fan of one AL team and one NL team.. :D

Lalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalalala

#8 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Lalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalalala

I also believe that 2004 never existed. Like Marty and Doc erased it or something...

#9 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Good to see nothing ever changes with Washington. Spend obscene amounts of money on the pitching staff and completely ignore the offense. Different year, same result. Our new $200 million man Scherzer takes a no-hitter into the second half of the game only for poor defense from the perennially overrated Ian Desmond and a complete lack of interest in hitting from the entire team to derail his efforts.

#10 west

west

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

Grew up in London and live in Sydney, but I'm a big fan of the game.

Have been a Red Sox fan since I was a kid and my dad spent a few months in Boston. Have made it to Fenway for a couple of games.

The time difference makes it tricky to follow, but I watch the highlights most evenings and have a game on whenever I can. Glad it's started back up.

During the MLB off season the Australian Baseball League (ABL) starts up, so I go for the Sydney Blue Sox. It's a small winter league (summer for us), probably single-double A level, but we have a nice ballpark (despite being a bit of a drive for me), we get a bunch of US guys from the minors come over, and nothing beats seeing a game live.

Edited by west, 07 April 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#11 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

During the MLB off season the Australian Baseball League (ABL) starts up, so I go for the Sydney Blue Sox. It's a small winter league (summer for us), probably single-double A level, but we have a nice ballpark (despite being a bit of a drive for me), we get a bunch of US guys from the minors come over, and nothing beats seeing a game live.

The Cardinals blog I follow has a fair contingent of ABL fans when the season wraps up. I intend to start following myself in the next offseason.

#12 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Typical... a rainout on Tuesday and an off-day today. In 5 days, my Cardinals have only played two games and earned a split. I need more baseball...

#13 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

At least you can properly follow the game. In Spain, even most east coast games don't begin until 1 am.

#14 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:25 AM

At least you can properly follow the game. In Spain, even most east coast games don't begin until 1 am.

Damn. Sorry, man. That sucks.

#15 west

west

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have a similar problem here in Australia- the games are on during the day when I'm at work. That's the great thing about MLBTV- no blackouts for international viewers and can hide the scores on the menus so it's easy to catch up and not have the games spoiled!

(for the Premier League on the other hand I'm up for the 1am/4am kick offs- great start to the day if it's a win, but it's a long day otherwise!)

#16 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

Yea it's definitely a pain. I do watch the games on mlb.tv which is nice, but it's still hard to avoid spoilers.

#17 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:23 AM

Fantastic start by the Nationals.  The "consensus" World Series favorite can't score runs and, apparently, can't win any games either.  Each of the aces on the staff have had their shot at it and we're 1-3.  Unacceptable.

#18 west

west

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

Phew, that Red Sox v Yankees was a marathon!

#19 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

No joke! I got home last night during the 14th inning and couldn't turn myself away until it was all over..5 innings later.. Lol!!

#20 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

I've followed MLB for years across the pond, but finally getting to my first ever proper match in May.

Oakland A's v Detroit Tigers. May not be the makings of a classic, but it's on Memorial Day, so I'm hoping that will add to the atmosphere.

#21 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

I'm a Los Angeles Dodgers fan and have been since 1977. I remember watching them in the World Series against the New York Yankees and rooted for the Dodgers to win and have been a fan ever since. The best game was Game 1 of the 1988 World Series where a very gimpy Kirk Gibson comes out of the dugout, draws a full count on the Oakland Athletics' Hall Of Fame closer Dennis Eckersley, and looks for the backdoor slider. Sure enough, the scouting report was correct, he got it, and, like Robert Redford in The Natural, launched it over the fence in right field for a game-winning two-run homer and a 5-4 victory, propelling the Dodgers to an improbable World Series title. In the immortal words of radio announcer Jack Buck, "I don't believe what I just saw!" Simply amazing.

#22 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

That game is exactly why I hate Red Sox-Yankees games. Even a normal 9 inning game can take 4+ hours. They are nothing but I test of patience and frustration.

#23 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

i was a baseball fan until last october. i'm done. only thing i hope is that Matt Kemp has a great year and a great end of his career and make the moron who traded him look like a fool.

#24 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

That game is exactly why I hate Red Sox-Yankees games. Even a normal 9 inning game can take 4+ hours. They are nothing but I test of patience and frustration.

That, and ESPN thinks that NY/Bos trumps every other match-up and should be shown in prime-time - regardless of records... but, hey, if it brings them ratings.

Good to see a Cards series win over the Reds after our trip to Chicago was cut a game short... Home opener at Busch this afternoon against the Beer Makers!

#25 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Disasterous outing last night for Clay Buchholz and to Sox, losing 14-4 to the Yanks...(Mr. Seawolf is, I'm sure, still grinning from ear to ear.. :) ) and the Rockies have dropped two in a row to the Cubs...Meh...the season is still young...I was actually mostly occupied with watching Jordan Spieth and his remarkable victory at the Masters this weekend to be too upset with the losses yesterday.

#26 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:35 PM

Clydesdales, Ozzie Smith/Willie McGee first pitch, "Meet Me in St. Louie" played on the ballpark organ... I love being a Cardinal fan on the day of the home opener :)

#27 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Disasterous outing last night for Clay Buchholz and to Sox, losing 14-4 to the Yanks...(Mr. Seawolf is, I'm sure, still grinning from ear to ear.. :) ) and the Rockies have dropped two in a row to the Cubs...Meh...the season is still young...I was actually mostly occupied with watching Jordan Spieth and his remarkable victory at the Masters this weekend to be too upset with the losses yesterday.

And then Stephen Drew hit a pinch hit grand slam. My faces hurts from grinning so much. ;)

#28 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

And then Stephen Drew hit a pinch hit grand slam. My faces hurts from grinning so much. ;)

*Insert Dr. Claw's voice from Inspector Gadget... "We'll get you next time Yankees....NEXT TIME!!! " *Mad Cat hisses* :D

#29 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

I've been rooting for the Mariners ever since I moved to the Seattle area in '98. Back then it was Edgar, Junior and The Big Unit in the Kingdome. Then there was 2001, new stadium that hosted the All Star Game, and the team that won 116 games and got booted in the ALCS by those damn pinstripes (featuring my favorite Mariner of all time, Ichiro).

Been a lot of lonnnnnng seasons ever since....there was plenty of hype in this preseason, but so far, same old same old. Oh well.

#30 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

I hope someone teaches Yordano Ventura a lesson during interleague play.