http://www.denofgeek...ive-and-let-die

#2 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:53 AM

Not a bad review, and I agree with much of it. However, I'm not sure why he (and I've seen this said around CBn as well) thinks that the boat chase is too long? It's an awesome chase scene ,and is the main action set piece of the film, so why shouldn't it be long?

Otherwise a pretty good post, and man, do I ever love that poster!!

#3 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

A thoughtful review.  I certainly agree about the "cheat" of 007's rotary-blade wristwatch function - that function should've been shown/mentioned beforehand.   And I loved the "life of the party" description of Sir Roger.  Not to mention that the reviewer's description that McCartney's theme song "grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go" is about as accurate statement as one can get!

It's a shame though that, after over four decades, the knee-jerk reaction of viewing LALD is still done through the prism of racism and race-relations (Ferguson . . .  really?  You're actually bringing up that fiction - do the research and you'll find "Hands up" was a complete lie - in a Bond film review?) is still too savory a salacious morsel for aspiring journalists/critics to ignore. 

Thanks for posting the review quantumofsolace.

Edited by Double Naught spy, 06 April 2015 - 03:34 AM.

#4 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

I don't mind the so-called "cheat" of the rotary blade on the watch, because it's done on purpose, not a cheat. It's meant to be a surprised and it's partly because Q does not appear in this one. Bond explains to M how the magnet works, but there is no need for him to go into all the functions.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

LIVE AND LET DIE (re-watch)

Somehow watching the films in the sequence of their release seems to change my opinions on them quite a bit.

Watching DAF a few years ago separately I was enjoying it a great deal.  Watching it after the previous entries I felt disappointed.  Watching LALD separately then I was entertained only during some sequences but found it otherwise boring, especially the boat chase going on for too long.

Now?  I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.

IMO, this film was a breath of fresh air after DAF.  Sure, it wasn´t the straightforward serious return to Fleming as OHMSS had been.  But it definitely is not as camp as DAF, instead telling a serious story with flair and a certain arrogance and irony that fits Bond as a character and Roger Moore as the new guy perfectly.  Moore is perfect in this film, and he delivers his one-liners with expert handling.  He can still be a tough bastard in this one, and very smug without losing his charming charisma.

To have Bond being the outsider in this story, destroying the villain´s plans despite being outnumbered, works very well.  The choice of a drug czar hiding behind a voodoo-cult as villain is inspired and definitely edgy and risky, especially for the introduction of another Bond-reboot.  But again, this works wonders since Bond´s adversary really is strong (Yaphet Kotto delivers one of the best and most chilling performances of a Bond antagonist) and scary as well. Elements of horror creep into this film without overtaking it.  The action is down-to-earth but thrilling, the cinematography is efficient and atmospheric, and George Martin´s score IMO is one of the series´ best, emulating Barry´s sweep, yet giving it a modern, soulful spin.

In conclusion, LALD has gained lots of ground with me again, shooting past TB and YOLT... and maybe even DN.   I´m very excited to watch TMWTGG next and to find out how that one will fare now.

#6 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

LIVE AND LET DIE (re-watch)

Somehow watching the films in the sequence of their release seems to change my opinions on them quite a bit.

Watching DAF a few years ago separately I was enjoying it a great deal.  Watching it after the previous entries I felt disappointed.  Watching LALD separately then I was entertained only during some sequences but found it otherwise boring, especially the boat chase going on for too long.

Now?  I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.

IMO, this film was a breath of fresh air after DAF.  Sure, it wasn´t the straightforward serious return to Fleming as OHMSS had been.  But it definitely is not as camp as DAF, instead telling a serious story with flair and a certain arrogance and irony that fits Bond as a character and Roger Moore as the new guy perfectly.  Moore is perfect in this film, and he delivers his one-liners with expert handling.  He can still be a tough bastard in this one, and very smug without losing his charming charisma.

To have Bond being the outsider in this story, destroying the villain´s plans despite being outnumbered, works very well.  The choice of a drug czar hiding behind a voodoo-cult as villain is inspired and definitely edgy and risky, especially for the introduction of another Bond-reboot.  But again, this works wonders since Bond´s adversary really is strong (Yaphet Kotto delivers one of the best and most chilling performances of a Bond antagonist) and scary as well. Elements of horror creep into this film without overtaking it.  The action is down-to-earth but thrilling, the cinematography is efficient and atmospheric, and George Martin´s score IMO is one of the series´ best, emulating Barry´s sweep, yet giving it a modern, soulful spin.

In conclusion, LALD has gained lots of ground with me again, shooting past TB and YOLT... and maybe even DN.   I´m very excited to watch TMWTGG next and to find out how that one will fare now.

Bravo, SAF, bravo!

#7 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

Thank you!

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

This is the film I have probably seen the most, as it always seemed to be on TV when I was a kid in the 1980's.

This means there are no surprises for me. It is certainly different from all the rest.

I did notice the similarities between this one and Dr No - both set partially in Jamaica, death of a British agent at the beginning, Quarrel, Felix, checking the hotel room for bugs, hiding the boat.

It could almost be a non-Bond film; this really could be any British agent working with the Americans on a drug bust, but at the same time it features classic Bondian elements like 007 smoking a cigar while hang gliding and the bus chase!

Good fun but not really a typical Bond movie.

#9 0072

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

Loved every bit of the review and glad to see I'm not alone in my love for this film!

#10 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

http://www.denofgeek...eplace-atlantis