5 replies to this topic

#1 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I'm trying to understand the historical background of the JB novels. Fleming's biographies were unfortunately not sufficient when it comes to providing information about the dynamics of international relations of the 1950s and 60s.

I was wondering whether you have ever thought about listing three real-life political/historical events from the 1950s/60s which could be treated as the background of the original series and which would also prove Bond's growing popularity at that time.

If you asked me i'd say: the Profumo affair,  the infamous Cambridge five and ... i have the problem with the third one but i hope to think of sth soon.

The Profumo scandal, to me, could have been a nice base for a Bond novel with its dirty tricks of getting British secret information, the beautiful girls and the handsome spy.

Would you agree?

all best

nanolark

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Fair points but the Profumo affair was the winter of 1962/1963 so it might explain popularity of Bond but would be of doubtful influence on the novels. Perhaps there's an overtone in 007 in New York, maybe? That might have been written beforehand, though.

Are you suggesting there definitely are three, or inviting suggestions and it may as well be three? As far as the novels go, my three are W. W. 2. In that order.

#3 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for your comment Jim. I agree. Taking under consideration the time, Profumo affair can only be explained as the one of events which led to the growth in Bond's popularity (something like J.F. Kennedy's comment on FR,WL).

No, i didn't try to suggest the answer, rather invite other Bond fans to take part in the conversation and share their thoughts.

I see your point.

Why W.W.2 and not the Cold War in general?

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

The end of Empire, with Britain seeking a role in the world;

The Burgess/ Maclean affair (repeatedly referenced).

The advent of nuclear weapons.

#5 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

I must admit, it's a great choice, Major Tallon. Thank you for your comment.

#6 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Talk about German rearmament as referenced in Moonraker - I think Fleming was most influenced by WWII because that war was the one he was personally involved with, and the one he probably viewed - like many contemporaries - as the direct sequel to what people called the Great War. Meaning the smaller of the two. However, a mere ten years after the war West Germany got its own army again, with the help of NATO powers and doubtlessly causing some concern with many people, both with Germany's neighbours and Germans themselves.

Another major development was rocket and satellite technology, a field that impacted society in various ways. There is a piece by Stephen King - from his non-fiction fundamental work on horror fiction Danse Macabre - that illustrates the shocking impact of the Sputnik on Western society of the late 50s. Fleming already used rocket technology in MR - obviously with the WWII/Nazi angle - and subsequent developments in the field must have fascinated him. Soon satellite technology was to change the entire field of espionage and reconnaissance. Not sure how this may have contributed to Bond's growing popularity, but it certainly is a relevant backdrop to the times in which Bond lived and fought.

Finally the Cuba revolution was a development that left its mark on the series.