The best book on historical background of Bond novels

2 replies to this topic

#1 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

I've just finished reading "The Man Who Saved Britain" written by Winder. To some extent I feel disappointed. Maybe I was hoping for too much but the book, to me, presents too little detailed information. That brings me to the question: which book, in your opinion, depicts the historical background of the Bond novels the best?  
To my way of thinking, Jeremy Black's "The Politics of James Bond: From Fleming's Novels to the Big Screen" and  Comentale's " Ian Fleming and James Bond : the cultural politics of 007" are one of the better sources. As i mentioned, i did not find Winder's book very insightful, but it was good reading as well.
I'd really like to know your opinions.

all best

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

I'd suggest Matthew Parker's Goldeneye, Where Bond Was Born:  Ian Fleming's Jamaica.  Its focus isn't so much the broader geopolitical background to the books, but rather the historical and cultural environment of the locale in which Bond was created, and in which a substantial portion of his adventures occurs.

#3 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Major Tallon, I cannot thank you enough. I completely forgot about this one. Very good suggestion.