33 replies to this topic

#31 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Thank you for sharing all of that, it's definitely curious to think what Forster's and the editors thoughts are now, rather than hearing the revisionist opinions of Eon.

There are some beautiful sequences in that film, and they way Forster framed some of the shots is nothing short of genius. I understand what they were thinking with the editing. Bond is frantic, upset, vengeful, full or rage and not thinking clearly and they wanted to the viewer to feel his irrational thought process and quick responses to his surroundings. Unfortunately, this did not translate to the larger public.

#32 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Interesting. Ought to make a graph that shows how much booze is in Bond at any given point and how much the cutting speeds up when the alcohol wears off.

In certain ways, I thought the impressionist visceral 'what it feels like to be bond' idea was a 21st century version of the fleeing NSNA moments when you have Bond's POV while on horseback (which also didn't work too well, but I think that owes to the fact that every cut of Connery on the horse, he seems to be moving much better than the reverse angles where his double is just not graceful or ... 'conneryesque.'

#33 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Juxtaposed with the editors' measured alcohol intake, we might be on to something...

#34 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Well, one of the 2 credited editors wasn't Forster's regular guy, he was from BOURNE. Then again, I think Forster brought him along for WWZ ...